HILLSBOROUGH DISCUSSION - Related News Here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redhayesy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:22 pm

sorry mods if this is in the wrong place,but just thought it would get better awareness.

hillsborough stories on bbc radio 5 april 12th at 7.00pm.

hillsborough remembered on the history channel april 15th at 8.00pm.

just thought i'd let you all know if you wrent aware of his.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks for that mate will deffo be watching the history channel one.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:06 pm

no problem mate, although i will cry me eyes out i will deffo listen & watch both. i just hope the radio show is given good air time with actual FACTS that still blind alot of people's ignorance in this country.
the last broadcast on radio i heard was with george galloway- & he was billiant i have to say! he allowed people to texts their views etc, he mentioned my text which i was very grateful for, & he certainly made listeners re-think opinion's prior to the show so i have alot of respect for him after that.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Is there nothing on the main terrestrial channels? There must be something on BBC1/2/3 or Channel 4 surley? Not that I don't have the History Channel (it's actually the channel I watch the most hehe) but just for anyone who doesn't have it.
Last edited by tubby on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:20 pm

redhayesy wrote:sorry mods if this is in the wrong place,but just thought it would get better awareness.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96.

No worries red.

Im not going to move ANY thread concerning Hillsborough in the run up to the anniversary (speaking for meself like) - as you said  As much exposure as poss.

They can all be archived to the Hillsborough section in a few week.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby simolonge » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Good idea red37.
simolonge

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Was working from home today and saw the trailer for the History Channel doc. Looks good!

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 pm

I never heard the Y.N.W.A like in this Hillsborough tribute. The first 2 minutes are very emotionals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5G9W8Qblvw

R.I.P. 96
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:33 pm

THEY were powerless to help as 96 of the fans who idolised them were crushed to death on a sunny spring Saturday.
Now the Liverpool side forced from the pitch just minutes into their fateful FA Cup semi-final at Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough ground are recalling their experiences of the tragedy to mark its 20th anniversary.

Kenny Dalglish, Liverpool’s manager at the time, has never before felt able to speak publicly about the terrible events at the match.

But for TV documentary Hillsborough Remembered — to be shown on the History Channel on April 15, exactly two decades on from the tragedy — he and players including John Aldridge, Ronnie Whelan and Gary Ablett open up for the first time.

They recall how the atmosphere was electric as fans piled into the stadium to see Liverpool play Nottingham Forest.

Football was very different then. Fans stood on terraces watching from behind fences, with more fencing dividing them from rival supporters.

Before referee Ray Lewis blew his whistle for kick-off, a last-minute arrival of coaches from Liverpool led to a surge of people trying to get in to see the game.

Around 2,000 fans were trying to cram into the central section of the small Leppings Lane end of the stadium.

Police panicked and threw open the main gate at the Leppings Lane end, which led to people being crushed.

As the match began, Liverpool goalie Bruce Grobbelaar, just yards from what was happening, was one of the first to raise the alarm.

He says: “There were people with their faces pinned against the fence saying to me, ‘Bruce, can you help me. We can’t breathe’. So I asked a policewoman, ‘Please, open the gate’.

“She said, ‘We can’t. We have to wait for our boss to give the word’. I ran to the ref and pointed to the back of the goal.”

Within moments a police inspector told the ref to get the players off the pitch.

Striker John Aldridge says: “You could hear supporters screaming and shouting. I always remember someone shouted, ‘There's people dying out there’.”

The two managers, Dalglish and Forest legend Brian Clough, were asked by police to make an announcement over the stadium’s public address system to fans.

They made their way to the police room but the mic was not working.

Kenny then suggested using the announcer’s room below.

He says: “We went there and they asked us to tell the people there’s been a bit of a problem but please stay calm and help the police.

“The punters were superb. They helped the police as much as anything to get their friends. They were supporters — it was their football club that was in trouble.”

Aldridge adds: “When we saw there were fatalities we were like, ‘What? To what extent? One or two? Three or four?’. No one knew what to say or what to do.

“The teams then met in the players’ bar. We had Grandstand on the TV and the death roll rose to 30 and we were like, ‘What? What’s that all about?’.”

After the ground had been cleared, the footballers made their way home.

Steve McMahon says: “The journey was soul-destroying, sombre. Nobody spoke.”

Gary Ablett says: “You knew members of your family had gone to the game — my brother had gone — so you’re trying to get in touch with your mother and father to make sure he’s rung home.

“Your mind starts playing all kinds of tricks. My brother was one of the lucky ones.” Aldridge says: “That night was unbelievable. Thankfully my wife was there. I broke down. I couldn’t help it.”

Dalglish also found his mind turning to the victims’ families as he watched the news reports.

He says: “You realise they’ve seen what’s gone on. Imagine you’re sitting watching on television, your family’s there and you don’t know what’s happening.”

Over the next few days, players went to Sheffield to see supporters in hospital.

Ablett says: “You went into rooms where people were lucky enough to survive and you got their account of what happened.

“You went into other rooms and people just looked asleep, obviously in comas.

“The families would say, ‘Maybe if you spoke to them and said something... ’.”

Many never woke. Aldridge recalls: “I was asked to talk to this young lad. So I went over to him and spoke in his ear and said, ‘When you’re up and about you come to Anfield. We’ll give you a shirt, make a fuss of you, have a great day’.

“I asked the doctor, ‘When do you expect the young lad to come out of his coma?’ and he said, ‘They’re switching his life support off this afternoon’. That absolutely creased me. Ripped my insides out.”

Ronnie Whelan was luckier. He says: “The only bright spark was one of the kids came out of a coma, which was unbelievable. When the lads were round the bed the kid woke up. Things like that were great but there weren’t many.”

Anfield was opened so families and fans could pay their respects. More than half the pitch was covered in flowers.

Dalglish says: “When they started putting the flowers on the pitch it was unbelievable. The amount of people who wanted to leave their little memento because it was their mate who died.

The atmosphere in the ground was fantastic. It became somewhere for them to gather.”

Lessons were learned from the tragedy.

A report by the then Lord Chief Justice, Lord Justice Taylor, slammed the police for not acting earlier, and it was ruled that all big football grounds should be made seating only, with the fences taken down.

But 20 years on, many Liverpool fans are still angry at the inquest verdict of “accidental death”, after the Taylor Report blamed a “failure of police control”.

Aldridge says: “You’ve got to get answers, you’ve got to keep on banging whatever drums you’ve got in front of you. Because it should never have happened, it’s as easy as that.

"You go on a lovely April day to watch the FA Cup and your loved ones don’t come home. Football died that time in a certain way, football as we knew it. It’s a different type of football now.”

Dalglish adds: “An easy thing to do would have been just to put the kick-off back a bit. If the police are talking to the FA and the FA have got to make that call, there wouldn’t have been any disagreement from the dressing room.

“It’s something everyone wishes never happened — but it’s also something that nobody should forget.”
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm

Well done Jeremy Paxton last night on newsnight
About 35-36 mins in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jprm7/Newsnight_30_03_2009/
Last edited by NANNY RED on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 am

Yeah saw that yesterday. Good watch.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobinHood6969 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:37 am

bavlondon wrote:Thanks for that mate will deffo be watching the history channel one.

Bav is the program telecasted in the Hisotry Channel at 15 April 8:00 PM BST?
RobinHood6969

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 pm

Nearly 20 years may have passed, but the findings into the the 1989 Hillsborough disaster which saw 96 Liverpool fans killed are still being contested on Merseyside, and the BBC’s leading investigative journalism show Newsnight have reopened the case to looked into the criticisms still being voiced by those who were affected by the tragedy.

The central question remains how, and why, did so many people die at a football match?

Officially the police have been blamed for their incompetence and failure at the time of the disaster, but many still believe that more questions remain covered-up. No individuals have ever been held accountability for the events of the day. And in particular, the findings from the time of the original investigation which saw the coroner rule that all the deaths at Hillsborough had been suffered by 3.15pm still remain hugely divisive with many challenging that conclusion which denies the possibility that the failings of the emergency services contributed to many of the deaths on the day.

As part of the Newsnight report the only ambulance man, Tony Edwards, to enter the Liverpool end of the ground during the tragedy is interviewed. Edwards calls the 3.15 cut-off time a “time of convinencie” with the eye-witness remembering clearly the events at the time.

The excellent Newsnight report into the Hillsborough disaster can be seen here
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:36 pm

I didn't realise tha the youngest victim - Jon-paul Gillhooley was Gerrard's Cousin and that he writes in his autobiography - ' I play for Jon-Paul' - says it all really  :down:
Last edited by zarababe on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:39 pm

zarababe wrote:I didn't realise tha the youngest victim - Jon-paul Gillhooley was Gerrard's Cousin and that he writes in his autobiography - ' I play for Jon-Paul' - says it all really  :down:

shocking isn't it, correct me if I'm wrong but he was 6 wasn't he  :(
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion