HILLSBOROUGH DISCUSSION - Related News Here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:48 pm

No he was 10 years old -

"Another factor [to Gerrard playing and succeeding] is the deep, spiritual debt he feels towards his cousin Jon-Paul Gilhooley. Just ten years old, Gilhooley was the youngest victim of the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster and Gerrard, just nine at the time, was badly affected by the tragedy. Gilhooley’s name is carved on the memorial by the Shankly Gates with those of the other 95 victims, a constant reminder every time he arrives at the ground. “It’s true that I play for Jon-Paul. He adored Liverpool with the same passion that fills me whenever I pull on that red shirt,” he says. “It gave me an extra determination to succeed.”

http://www.fqmagazine.co.uk/steven-gerrard-famous-father.aspx
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Cant believe people that young lost their lives there, really puts it in perspective, Stevie's certainly done the lad proud
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby zarababe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Yep - imagine jon-paul would have been 30 yrs of age now ... shows you how close that day is to the current crop of stars.. not least thru an association of loss of family

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Just a reminder to all that the new song is out tomorrow so make sure you all go and buy it! I know I will be first thing. I hope it's not DRM'd.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:26 pm

bavlondon wrote:Just a reminder to all that the new song is out tomorrow so make sure you all go and buy it! I know I will be first thing. I hope it's not DRM'd.

Me an all - EVERYONE on here should - no excuse not to really.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 pm

Very good feature on Hillsborough on one of the talk stations in Ireland this evening. Newstalk 106 FM. It should be on podcast either this evening or early on in the week. Was listening to the station purely by chance but was riveted to the feature. I was only 17 at the time watching on TV but can remember it like it was just last week....very sad, esp. the facts about the police ineptitude and all the lies written by various journalists....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby zarababe » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:03 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163872090406-1408.htm

APRIL 15: FREE LFC TV SCHEDULE IN FULL

Paul Rogers 06 April 2009 

LFC TV will mark the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster with a day of specially-commissioned programming that supporters all over the world will be able to watch on TV or online completely free. 
On April 15, LFC TV, the club’s official channel - normally only available to supporters who subscribe to the Setanta Sports package – will be free to everyone who has either Sky Digital or Virgin Media in their homes.

For those supporters who don’t have either satellite or cable won’t be at home on the day or live abroad, we will be making all of the TV content available to watch live on the official website completely free.

For the first time ever, the Memorial Service at Anfield will be available to watch live and uninterrupted on TV and for the Hillsborough families who no longer live in this country and fellow supporters from all over the world, the entire service will be shown live on the web as part of the day’s LFC TV content.

For the families and fans who will actually be attending the service at Anfield and those who can’t make it due to work commitments, the entire event will aldo be repeated on LFC TV later in the night.

Here is the full schedule for LFC TV’s Free Day on April 15

10:00: What Hillsborough Means to Me - Part 1

Members of the LFC family – current and former players and fans and family members - open up about what the Hillsborough disaster means to them personally.

10:15: A Song for Hillsborough

LFC TV goes behind the scenes at Elevator Studios in Liverpool for the recording of a new specially-commissioned version of ‘Fields of Anfield Road’. Peter Hooton, Bruce Grobbelaar and John Power all speak in studio about why they’re proud to be involved in the project

10:45: What Hillsborough Means to Me - Part 2

More members of the LFC family – current and former players and fans and family members - open up about what the Hillsborough disaster means to them personally.

11:00: Hillsborough: The Documentary

20 years on from the disaster that cost 96 Liverpool fans their lives, LFC TV remembers the saddest day in the club’s history with an updated version our hard-hitting Hillsborough documentary.

12:00: Cup Kings 1989

Ronnie Whelan (club captain in 1989), John Aldridge and radio commentator Graham Beecroft reflect on the road to Wembley for the most emotional cup final ever, including Hillsborough and the aftermath of the disaster back home on Merseyside.

14:30: Live: Hillsborough Memorial Service

Live and uninterrupted coverage from Anfield of the Hillsborough Memorial Service. The service will feature two choirs - the Choir of St Anne Stanley and the Liverpool Singing Choir - readings from Kenny Dalglish and Margaret Aspinall, Vice Chairperson of the Hillsborough Families Support Group and addresses from both the Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Councillor Steve Rotherham and Trevor Hicks, President of the HFSG. The service will conclude with Gerry Marsden and Neal McHale singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’.

15:45: Poems for the 96

Out of the tragedy that was Hillsborough, some incredibly emotive poetry emerged. Liverpool poet Roger McGough, Dave Kirby, Nicky Allt and others recite some of the most moving poems you’ll hear this year.

16:00: Kop Talkin: Hillsborough Special

Three supporters describe their own experiences on the day of the disaster; reflect on how they coped in the day and weeks that followed the tragedy and debate why the fight for justice is still so strong 20 years on.

17:00: What Hillsborough Means to Me - Part Three

More members of the LFC family – current and former players and fans and family members - open up about what the Hillsborough disaster means to them personally.

17:15: What Hillsborough Means to Me - Part 1

Another chance to watch our earlier edition of the show where members of the LFC family open up about what the Hillsborough disaster means to them personally.

17:30: A Song for Hillsborough

LFC TV goes behind the scenes at Elevator Studios in Liverpool for the recording of a new specially-commissioned version of ‘Fields of Anfield Road’. The Lord Mayor, Councillor Steve Rotherham, Kenny Dalglish and Phil Thompson all speak in studio about why they’re proud to be involved in the project

18:00: Hillsborough Memorial Service

Another chance to watch the Hillsborough Memorial Service from earlier in the day at Anfield.

19:00: Ray Houghton’s Class of 88-89

Former Liverpool star Ray Houghton reflects on the group of players who made the fateful trip to Hillsborough on April 15 and looks back on their season up to and after that fateful day.

20:00: Hillsborough: The Documentary

Another chance to watch the LFC TV’s hard-hitting Hillsborough documentary with contributions from the likes of Sheila Coleman, Phil Hammond, Neil Fitzmaurice, Peter Carney, Rogan Taylor, John Barnes and John Aldridge amongst others.

21:00: Parkhead 89: The Fans Story

Three fans – two supporting Liverpool, one supporting Celtic - recall the first match to take place after the Hillsborough disaster on an emotionally charged night in Glasgow.

22:00: Kop Talkin: Hillsborough Special

A repeat showing of this studio discussion for supporters who missed it earlier in the day due to attending the Memorial Service or work commitments.

23:00: Hillsborough Memorial Service

LFC TV’s free day of broadcasting ends with the service to remember the 96 supporters who never came home from a game of football.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:54 pm

'Fields of Anfield Road' is now available on i-tunes for those that prefer to download their music. I assume (?) that profits still go to the families fund.

Believe its available as an ep for £3.16 or as 4 individual tracks for £0.79 each.

Apologies if this has already been posted, prefer it to be repeated than missed completely

RIP
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Cheers mate. They got that Heart of Anfield/No Heat As Big song by that Peter Wylie guy aswell, I love that song.
Last edited by tubby on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shakey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Downloaded mine last nite,got to say its cracking,,havent stopped playing it,love both Fields versions :buttrock
It would of been great if the filled the Kop & got them to sing it 2 :bowdown
shakey

Postby tubby » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Thought id be better of bumping this thread rather the one not in the general area.

Podcast: Hillsborough Anniversary Special (Part One)
Written by This Is Anfield on April 10th, 2009

Next Wednesday, April 15th, marks the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

The This Is Anfield Podcast team have put together two impressive episodes with some special guests relating to the anniversary.

In this first part, we speak with Peter Hooton and the Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Steve Rotheram, who were influential in putting together the ‘Fields of Anfield Road’ single which enters the charts this Sunday. We also speak with Sheila Coleman from the Hillsborough Justice Campaign.

Part two of our Hillsborough Memorial will be online on Wednesday, featuring Professor Phil Scraton, author of ‘Hillsborough: The Truth’.

The podcast is free to stream or download, running time for this show is 47 minutes. (43.5Mb)

Listen online now:

Link

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:05 am

To think it was almost 20 years ago to the day. I wont use the phrase " its flew by", becuase for a few of them 20 years I wasnt even born. The effect its had on people, just looking for example at interviews with the likes of Des Lynam, Hansen on match of the day, both of them getting quite glossy eyed, along with many others. My Dad was at Hillsborough, and the effect it has on him inparticluar is different, because he wont talk about it. You ask him about the day, asking him for his own personal experience and he will say nothing. He will mutter a few words. " Oh we were at the other side, we wasnt by where it happened" . Youll get that as a response. Not out of any disrespect, but due to the fact he dosent want to talk about it, because the upset and heartbreak he will feel , knowing it could of been him, or his friends who he was with that day. I find it amazing how its been shed alot of light on the past week or so, Blackburn yesterday, alot of famous interviews about it, main news channels featuring it. Its a good thing, and as much as its a tear jearking thing to see, its good to know no one has forgot, no one will forget, we cant forget. 96 of our fans lost there lives. Supporting the team they loved, and the team we now love. At Blackburn the gesture from Torres , pointing to the sky, that was for them. And what a goal for him to dedicate to them. Im sorry if this is in the wrong place, and I hope you dont mind me saying a little piece. The 96 wont be forgotten, and they will walk on with us, and certainly wont be alone.

Justice for the 96, Youll Never Walk Alone.
Thingy

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:40 pm

King Kenny.   God bless the 96 and giants like Kenny who rose to the occasion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport....ur.html
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:22 am

Thingy wrote:To think it was almost 20 years ago to the day. I wont use the phrase " its flew by", becuase for a few of them 20 years I wasnt even born. The effect its had on people, just looking for example at interviews with the likes of Des Lynam, Hansen on match of the day, both of them getting quite glossy eyed, along with many others. My Dad was at Hillsborough, and the effect it has on him inparticluar is different, because he wont talk about it. You ask him about the day, asking him for his own personal experience and he will say nothing. He will mutter a few words. " Oh we were at the other side, we wasnt by where it happened" . Youll get that as a response. Not out of any disrespect, but due to the fact he dosent want to talk about it, because the upset and heartbreak he will feel , knowing it could of been him, or his friends who he was with that day. I find it amazing how its been shed alot of light on the past week or so, Blackburn yesterday, alot of famous interviews about it, main news channels featuring it. Its a good thing, and as much as its a tear jearking thing to see, its good to know no one has forgot, no one will forget, we cant forget. 96 of our fans lost there lives. Supporting the team they loved, and the team we now love. At Blackburn the gesture from Torres , pointing to the sky, that was for them. And what a goal for him to dedicate to them. Im sorry if this is in the wrong place, and I hope you dont mind me saying a little piece. The 96 wont be forgotten, and they will walk on with us, and certainly wont be alone.

Justice for the 96, Youll Never Walk Alone.

Good post that mate.

My best mate and my brother were there - the only conversation Ive had about it with either of them was a few weeks ago - about 2 mins with my brother.

Sometimes it's just too much to even talk about it.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ox5 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:37 am

Listend intentley to the Radio 5 broadcast, very immotive and tears streaming down my cheeks listening to the Hicks parents who lost their 2 daughters. I watched from afar on that terrible day, watching live on the TV as the horror unfolded. Listening to The late great Peter Jones Commentate on the radio. My daughters saw my crying tonight, and asked why i was? ( your a 38 year old they said!)  i think they are too young to understand, however, in time they will be be, unlike so many who perished.

R I P
Last edited by ox5 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC 4EVA
*pm me if you have any spare home tickets for me and daugter!!*
ox5

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion