Heysel documentary - Heysel tragedy on tv

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:55 pm

For those fans that have questions about it .BBC 2 are showing a 90 minute documentary on the events at Heysel Stadium 20 yrs ago.

On tv sunday 17th april 9pm.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:30 pm

Got it set up so the channel changes at the start of this programme tonight.
jonnymac1979

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:11 pm

Bit p.issed off they are putting this on tonight TBH, right in the middle of our CL campagn.
Wait for the abuse from everyone starting from tomorrow :glare: , I seen one the other night maybe the same one, it was on some satelite channel and believe me the sights are sickening but also what was interesting is on that program I seen they didnt entirley place the blame on Liverpool like people say it was all our fault.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:29 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Bit p.issed off they are putting this on tonight TBH, right in the middle of our CL campagn.

???

Luv yer Ciggy for your unswerving support to LFC ,but sometimes we do have to examine the facts ,however painful they may be .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:55 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Bit p.issed off they are putting this on tonight TBH, right in the middle of our CL campagn.

???

Luv yer Ciggy for your unswerving support to LFC ,but sometimes we do have to examine the facts ,however painful they may be .

I know what you mean woof but I think the timings a bit wrong thats all, if we hadnt have played Juve would this documentary be on tonight? i doubt it.
I cant believe that game actually went ahead nearly 3 hours later with 39 dead bodies in tents at the ground ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:09 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:if we hadnt have played Juve would this documentary be on tonight? i doubt it.
I cant believe that game actually went ahead nearly 3 hours later with 39 dead bodies in tents at the ground ???

well of thats the point isnt it? the disaster is fresh in peoples memorys at the moment and i for one would be very interseted in learing more about the Heysel tradegy
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:40 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I cant believe that game actually went ahead nearly 3 hours later with 39 dead bodies in tents at the ground ???

Neither team (especially LFC) wanted to continue as the news of the deaths filtered through but the authorities thought continuing the game was perhaps the only way to diffuse the situation . Both teams reluctantly agreed and it was however insensitive it may have seemed to be the best decision .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:45 pm

If theyre looking to blame us or go on a wildgoose chase they can forget it. why cant people move on? they have to try and scupper our chances. bastardo`s!
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:53 pm

Theres going to be footage tonight which has never been seen, what i seen the other night was horrific, I missed the begining of that program, but seeing loads of dead people just lying on the side of the pitch :Oo: , and then this Liverpool fan was getting battered by juve fans, with bricks, ran to the police for help and they just started really battering him with coshes, it was awful.
that will propbably be on tonight.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:48 am

A tough programme to watch but watch I did and I thought the documentary was excellent in that it remained impartial and presented the facts about that terrible day in 85 :(

The programme to my mind left the viewer with the impression that BOTH sets of fans contributed to the disaster but the infrastrusture surrounding Europes most pestigious game for Clubs was shambolic and ****** -poorly organised.!

The condition of the stadium, the communications systems , the quality of policing (Where have we heard that before ??? ) , the inability for anyone to take overall control and ticket allocation were the main contributory factors.

The programme was extremely graphic in parts and for those who would later learn to live with the events of Hillsborough extremely difficult to watch .......

I was struck by the Dignity of the Italians interviewed but also the players ( Grobellar, Lawrenson , Italian Keeper etc.....

Blame for an event of this magnitude is often futile i9f we don't learn the lessons and as Hilsborough was to show only a few years later many reasons for that disater were similar to Heysel.

RIP the 39 and the 96 , You Never Walk Alone .............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:37 am

Well observed Dalglish.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby wet echo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:11 am

woof woof ! wrote:

???

very true and well put
wet echo

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:37 am

I think Rafabenitez is out of line saying that they should move on - sounds like he should work for the sun, also the "bastardo" comment in not right.

There were faults with the whole set up but responsibility rests with the scumbags that rioted. It was mostly LFC fans fault.

I was amazed to see the Juventus fans so happy after the match, they knew that many had died but were cheering - lost a bit of respect for them, their players too seemed ecstatic as if it was a normal victory.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:00 pm

no niall i meant they should stop pinning  the blame on us for starting it, that programme was a bit baised towards the juve view, why didnt they show the juve fans throwing bottles of ****** and flares before some people retaliated? and thats the first time ive seen proper footage of the pen, it never was, no-one appealed due to the circumstances, but imagine if uefa hd their heads on and played it else where - Nou camp etc... then it would have been five for the reds, no ban and with Barnes and PB to come, we would have ruled into the 90s, no ban would of meant we would have got some huge investment during the ecconomic rise in the early 90s. we couldve been in double figures for european cups by now, and the mancs wouldnt have happened. And 39 people would still be walking the earth. Finally i just wanted you lot to know that when i got to school this morning, all the mancs who saw that documentary now think we caused it and that we are animals, also they were shocked to learn football was played PRE-1993.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:42 pm

RAFABENITEZ wrote:no niall i meant they should stop pinning  the blame on us for starting it, that programme was a bit baised towards the juve view, why didnt they show the juve fans throwing bottles of ****** and flares before some people retaliated? and thats the first time ive seen proper footage of the pen, it never was, no-one appealed due to the circumstances, but imagine if uefa hd their heads on and played it else where - Nou camp etc... then it would have been five for the reds, no ban and with Barnes and PB to come, we would have ruled into the 90s, no ban would of meant we would have got some huge investment during the ecconomic rise in the early 90s. we couldve been in double figures for european cups by now, and the mancs wouldnt have happened. And 39 people would still be walking the earth. Finally i just wanted you lot to know that when i got to school this morning, all the mancs who saw that documentary now think we caused it and that we are animals, also they were shocked to learn football was played PRE-1993.

yeah, it would be nice if it didnt happen but the facts are mate that 39 people didnt see the sun rise the next day and will never see another sunrise again.
wether the ball was in the box or not seems pretty trivial to me compared to that thought.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion