The truth about heysel - Heysel

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby danilo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:20 pm

I am an avid Juventus supporter who runs a Juventus website. In the days after it became clear we would meet again, I got many reactions to my article about Heysel. Now I have rewritten the article and spent hours reading about what happened. I have also watched 3 hours of video footage from that night and it really sickened me.

I would like all you Liverpool supporters to read the article and to let me know what you think about it. You will find it here:

http://bianconeri.tripod.com/heysel.html

E-mail me for comments:
danilopaparazzo@hotmail.com

Let's learn from Heysel: Violence is stupid.
danilo

Postby Dalglish » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:42 am

An excellent and well researched investigation into the tragedy that was Heysel. The repercussions from the year before and UEFA's ineptitude combined and 39 people lost their lives.

As you rightly observed Liverpool fans did not have a reputation for violence in an era when many clubs had their fair share of hooliganism and trouble often followed clubs like Millwall, West Ham , Cardiff, Leeds etc..... What was prevalent that night though was an overwhelming sense of ill feeling towards Italians in general because iof the treatment of LFC Fnas in Rome the previous year. That doesn't make it right or justified but it does shed some light on the subsequent events that awful night in May :(

I'm sure Liverpool fans the world over will concur with me when I express my deepest sorrow and sympathy to the families of the lost and sincerely hope that this forthcoming CL fixture will help build further bridges between these two great European Clubs ....

Walk on
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:43 am

I think this is a very accurate article about Heysel.My personal recollections of the whole episode,including the Roma fiasco,brought me to similar conclusions,although I'm not convinced about the revenge theory.

Other club thugs,definetly present:West Ham & Chelsea fans were there..I met them
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Feeney » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:41 am

Well researched and well written....I was a little bit too young too remember it fully, so I can't testify the way supersub can, but the stories i've been told have stayed with me.

Lets make the games we have coming up be founded on a mutual respect, rather than mutual hatred.

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:47 am

Feeney wrote:Lets make the games we have coming up be founded on a mutual respect, rather than mutual hatred.

I agree.

I think if violence were to occur again it would be the biggest lack of respect towards those who passed away, and would show that nothing has been learnt from the tragedy.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:58 am

I was only a lad at home watching that particular game, although I remember Judge posting here last week saying he was at the game and saying that there were some West Ham and Chelsea fans present.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:21 am

supersub wrote:I think this is a very accurate article about Heysel.My personal recollections of the whole episode,including the Roma fiasco,brought me to similar conclusions,although I'm not convinced about the revenge theory.

Other club thugs,definetly present:West Ham & Chelsea fans were there..I met them

andy nicholls, the everton scum who wrote 'scally' was also there, mentions it in his book
112-1077774096

Postby XSD » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:11 am

Great article.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:33 am

peewee wrote:
supersub wrote:I think this is a very accurate article about Heysel.My personal recollections of the whole episode,including the Roma fiasco,brought me to similar conclusions,although I'm not convinced about the revenge theory.

andy nicholls, the everton scum who wrote 'scally' was also there, mentions it in his book

Yes a well known everton hooligan. So all the blame should not be placed on Liverpool fans when we are the most behaved supporters around.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:23 am

Perhpas it because im still only a kid but i cant read that article.  well thats worder wrongly, i did read it and its fantasticly well written but the stories from rome and heysel brings tears to my eyes.  I cant imagine anyone of any race or culture could be that brutal and care so little about fellow human beings.  The actions of the italians in rome in '84 repulses me, but the idea that british hooligans would actively seek revenge against italians the following year is absolutley the most disgusting idea i can contemplate.

If there is even the slightest violence at either leg in the Liverpool v Juventus tie then the people involved have no right to be considered anything other than pure scum.  Utterly disgusting and with no respect for the 39 deceased and their families.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Iceman69 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:22 pm

yes but how many of those facts are 100 true.

at the end of the day, 39 italions dead, 6 lfc fans charged with involuntary manslaughter.

it doesnt matter whether u are provoked, lack of police or a shoddy run down ground. if you participate in violence, then there are always going to be casualties.

people should learn to control themselves.

i wouldnt personally travel to turin, for fear of being attacked!
I bet some small groups are out for revenge.
Iceman69

Postby Iceman69 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:23 pm

yes but how many of those facts are 100 true.

at the end of the day, 39 italions dead, 6 lfc fans charged with involuntary manslaughter. how many LFc fans were killed or seriously hurt? that tells a story. i just cant stand yobbo's

it doesnt matter whether u are provoked, lack of police or a shoddy run down ground. if you participate in violence, then there are always going to be casualties.

people should learn to control themselves.

i wouldnt personally travel to turin, for fear of being attacked!
I bet some small groups are out for revenge.
Iceman69

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:49 pm

A very sobering article. I can remember watching the game on the TV. I was only 11 and didn't really understand what was going on, only that i wanted the game to start, that we lost and me mam telling me the result didn't matter.

Both these great clubs have suffered needlessley at football matches. I prey that everyone involved does the memory of those 39 people proud.Walk on........
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:27 pm

Great Article. Sounds like an honest account of what happend. Was too young at the time to realise what had gone on.

Any trouble at the next game will be a mark of total disrespect to the 39 people who died
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:48 pm

From sky sports.. an italian perspective

Former Juventus keeper Stefano Tacconi has spoken of his memories of the Heysel disaster, as the Italian giants prepare to face Liverpool for the first time since the tragedy.
The 1985 European Cup final witnessed the death of 39 people as a Liverpool fans' charge precipitated the collapse of a wall in the Brussels stadium.
Now, 20 years on from one of the darkest days in European football, a twist of fate saw the two teams pitted against each other in the quarter finals of the UEFA Champions League.
Representatives from both clubs have already indicated a willingness to mark the occasion with some kind of memorial, and Tacconi has now recounted his own experiences of the disaster.
"We knew that some people had died before entering the pitch as the injured were recovered into the dressing room and they told us what happened," Tacconi told Eurocalcio.
"Uefa had decided to cancel the game and we were having a shower before going home, when the Belgian police dropped in and ordered us to play, as they needed time for the reinforcements to come."
Tacconi also refuted accusations that the match result was fixed in a bid to try and placate Italian supporters following the events before kick-off.
The Bianconeri won the tie thanks to a disputed Michel Platini penalty, and following the tragedy English clubs were excluded from European competition for five years.
"The game was decided by a penalty that should not have been allowed, but that was simply a mistake by the referee, who was very far from the action," Tacconi continued.
"Maybe the linesman could help him, but he refused to take a decision about it, it's always been like that in football."
Tacconi also explained why Juventus celebrated the win, actions that drew criticism from both the media and the victims' families, and insisted that the events of the night had a profound impact on all involved.
"When we came out of the dressing room we were in a sort of trance.
"We knew what had happened, but still the people were waving flags on the terraces.
"It was living in a dream and we only realised the truth after the final whistle, it was a true game indeed but the consequences hit us all.
"My friend Michel Platini that very night decided that he was quitting the game, though he did it only two years later, at only 32."
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion