Heysel documentary - Heysel tragedy on tv

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:38 pm

I generally hate people not taking responsibility for their actions. If there is a lump of concrete on the ground in a ramshacke stadium it doesn't mean that you have to pick it up and throw it at rival fans, same with metal bars and poor fencing.

Each LFC fan that rioted was a scumbag who should have got severe time in jail, same with Juve fans. I still think that the LFC fans were by far the worst offenders -correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd seen the penalty before and it was a ridiculous decision, I think the ref was punishing us (he couldn't be that blind). Maybe its just as well that our Euro trophy cabinet isn't tainted with the 1985 trophy.

I still can't understand the celebrations after the goal and the match though.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:47 pm

scumbag? that wilson fella was meant to be helping a 12yr old red who was gettin the shi* knocked out of him by some italian men. If that was true, would you class him a scum bag? he did what anyone else would have done in that situation, helped out a kid who was being beaten by mindless thugs.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:51 pm

Big Niall wrote:Each LFC fan that rioted was a scumbag who should have got severe time in jail, same with Juve fans. I still think that the LFC fans were by far the worst offenders -correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Big Niall wrote:Each LFC fan that rioted was a scumbag who should have got severe time in jail, same with Juve fans. I still think that the LFC fans were by far the worst offenders -correct me if I'm wrong.

What? they were throwing bottles of pi** and flares at reds, aswell as beating up innocent reds, we responded to provocation, some of them even fired astarting pistol ffs! and you say your own comrads were worse? No , the worst offenders were the Juve fans for goading some into retaliation, some of the so called reds were in fact NF, ICF and other well known `firms' and also uefa for being inhumane enough to choose Heysel over other grounds like Nou camp etc.. and lets not forget the police, who were a joke, they wernt even proper, the more senior officers were on holiday due to the pope visiting Brussels some time earlier.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:02 pm

I watched most of the documentary the other night plus have recorded it to show my students next year. Was real strange seeing it again as i can remember watching it as 10year old at the time and not really understanding why the game didn't start on time. I was deperate to see us play and more concerned with getting hold of our new Adidas kit which i recall we were wearing for the first time.

I can't believe the state of the stadium nor how open and easy it was for rival fans to get to eachother. It's disgraceful that we have to see and live through disasters like Heysel, Hillsborough and the Bradford fire in order for action to be taken.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:04 pm

Scott, are you THE batman who was in Turin, your from Warrington, yes?
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:09 pm

RAFABENITEZ wrote:Scott, are you THE batman who was in Turin, your from Warrington, yes?

Afraid not pal :D Got family in Warrington though.

I'll wear me Batman suit to Fratton Park tomorrow night lad :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:05 pm

Dunno how much truth there is in this, but the Liverpool fan who took part in the documentary swears blind to this day that the incident that started the rioting was when a 12 year old Liverpool kid was getting beaten crapless by grown Italian men in block Z, the supposed "neutral's enclosure"

Makes you look at the assumption that everything was Liverpool fans' fault a little differently

It doesn't excuse the rioting but helps explain it
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Indian » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:18 pm

[quote] Woollyback  Posted: April 19 2005,23:05 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dunno how much truth there is in this, but the Liverpool fan who took part in the documentary swears blind to this day that the incident that started the rioting was when a 12 year old Liverpool kid was getting beaten crapless by grown Italian men in block Z, the supposed "neutral's enclosure"

Makes you look at the assumption that everything was Liverpool fans' fault a little differently

It doesn't excuse the rioting but helps explain it

I agree nothing helps explain it and you can make as many excuses as you like.  The fact of the matter is, it should never have happened and it should NEVER happen again
Red Indian

Postby Dalglish » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:56 pm

People (fans) or organisations(UEFA, FA) that don't learn from the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat it ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:11 am

Woollyback wrote:Dunno how much truth there is in this, but the Liverpool fan who took part in the documentary swears blind to this day that the incident that started the rioting was when a 12 year old Liverpool kid was getting beaten crapless by grown Italian men in block Z, the supposed "neutral's enclosure"

That would be enough to set anyone off. Most people, even if they were mindless hooligans, would pick a fight with an adult not a 12 yr old kid, who is helpless!

That really is disgraceful. I have also read that the Roma fans in 84 attacked kids and families.

Not saying the Italians are 100% to blame, but if these things did in fact occur it helps understand better why our fans reacted the way they did.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:02 am

Although fairly even handed what the documentary failed to show was the "history" that was simmering between the italians and our supporters . The previous year in Rome some of our supporters men women and children were chased through the streets ,getting the sh'it kicked out of them,the italian police did very litle by way of intervention .It was so bad that some fans had to take refuge in the grounds of the british embassy !
One year on many of us had not forgotten and although not looking for trouble were quite prepared to get stuck in if the italians started . The italians (a certain core at least) did indeed "kick off" the trouble ,banners such as "REDS-ANIMALS " (visible in the documentary) were prepared and displayed  by them and missiles of varying description were thrown in our direction .The charge by our supporters was a reaction to this provocation. That's not to excuse our behaviour,what followed was indeed a tradgedy ,however ALL fans involved, black/white or red must bear responsibility.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:39 am

Terry Wilson, I think that was the guys name, says it kicked off when he saw the young lad bein done over....Does that explain the graphic still shots of the same Terry Wilson grinning as the riot took place? Whilst I agree, most grown men would rush to the aid of a youngster in those conditions, I'd hate to think they then got a massive kick out of it and thought it could excuse 39 innocent deaths. Theres no doubt we, as a club, suffered for the ban. A ban imposed due to idiocy on a number of our fans part, alongside other clubs fans that obtained tickets, and also aided by the decisions taken leading up to the final itself. How the guys at Uefa slept after that night is anyone's guess, but it should have been fitfull at best.
The documentary was fair as far as the actual night went, tho god knows what it cost to make and reset up all the scenes and bring the Italians back and all that. It's true that we have to accept what happened, take our share of the blame and all that, but a shame it took twenty years and a TV programme to put some of the evidence over.
Be interesting to see if British TV is allowed to do such an indepth documentary on Hillsborough in 2009 and tell some of the unreleased evidence from that, along with layin the blame as fairly as they did at the hands of others and not just Liverpool FC.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion