Heart vs hollywood

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:07 am

I understand the dilemna but clubs like Arsenal have had success without selling out. They simply buy better players and play attractive entertaining football. Valencia have a great tradition too as do the Greeks. Add to this Porto and you have the successful clubs in Europe last season and not a Pay Per View deal in sight ???

The reality is that you can retain integrity and have success..........ask any of the clubs mentioned above ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:12 am

I agree, that's why is said it is a risk not selling out, but success can still be achieved if the right players are bought, you have a good manager/fans.
I think the academy is also very important as if a club can bring up class players through their own youth system then tht means not having to splash 10's of millions on a player to improve the team.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:19 am

Sadly though Scott many LFC fans are getting drawn into this idea that throwing money at a problem makes it go away.

GH after reaching the quater finals of the CL and fuinishing 2nd in the PREM in the summer of 2002 goes out and shells out nearly £20 million on 3 players (Diouff , Daio and Cheyrou) whilst offloading Litnamen, Maccallister and Fowler. Enough said ? ???

We cannot possibly compete with Chelsea and Man U financially and we would be fools to believe we can. Where we can compete is on the pitch, not off it.

Good marketing is no substitute for footballing ability.

I believe Benitez is a quality manager and is used to competing with clubs around him with larger financial muscle so in that sense we have chosen well in his appointment. Lets hope he can identify the problems ON the pitch and leave the affairs OFF the pitch to the suits.....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:21 am

Off to bed, good post and discussion though Scott ....YNWA :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:24 am

Dalglish wrote:I believe Benitez is a quality manager and is used to competing with clubs around him with larger financial muscle so in that sense we have chosen well in his appointment. Lets hope he can identify the problems ON the pitch and leave the affairs OFF the pitch to the suits.....

exactly, Benitez barely bought anyone (although he took on a CL finalist team) and was able to beat the likes Of Barca, Madrid who were spending millions.

Real Madrid are a prime example of this, they have bought everyone under the sun, including Beckham for marketing purposes and what have they done recently?? nothing.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:24 am

right ttyl Ian. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion