Hansen's comments - To the BBC

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DAV » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:45 am

Last Updated: Tuesday, 25 January, 2005, 06:21 GMT 

E-mail this to a friend   Printable version 

Hansen issues Liverpool warning 
Listen to Alan Hansen's comments about Liverpool on BBC Five Live at 0740 GMT.

If nothing happens with investment and they lose Steven Gerrard, it's all over for Liverpool

BBC Sport's Alan Hansen 
Liverpool legend Alan Hansen has told BBC Sport his former club must find new investment immediately or risk becoming a footballing "relic".

Hansen thinks the Reds should accept tycoon Steve Morgan's money if they want to challenge the elite once again.

Talking to BBC Five Live, Hansen said: "Investment is an absolute priority and Steve is a fan, he's got the money and the clout and I think he'd be perfect."

"The last thing you want as a Liverpool fan is to be submerged in mediocrity."

The Match of The Day pundit explained: "It always used to be 'first is first and the rest is nowhere'. That sort of thinking is just not there now.

"Don't get me wrong. We're certainly not a relic yet but we're nearer to it now than we were 15 years ago and that's the danger to me."

Preview: Watford v Liverpool 

Rafael Benitez's side go into Tuesday's Carling Cup semi-final second leg at Watford with a one-goal advantage, but having lost their last three games, including an embarrassing FA Cup exit with an under-strength side at Burnley.

Hansen's verdict on Liverpool's bad week:
'No disrespect to Saints but Liverpool were just awful' 

They are currently fifth in the Premiership, seven points of a Champions League qualifying place and a massive 24 points behind leaders Chelsea.

Reaction: Benitez upset at Liverpool form 

Benitez has acknowledged criticism of recent performances while remaining confident things will improve.

But Hansen believes Liverpool are light years away from competing with Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United, with massive investment the only way to make them competitive again.

He added: "They are a long way off the top three, I think it's fair to say both Benitez and Gerard Houllier have bought one or two ordinary players.

LIVERPOOL'S RECENT FINISHES
2000: Fourth (24 points behind champions Man Utd)
2001: Third (11 points behind Man Utd)
2002: Second (Seven points behind Arsenal)
2003: Fifth (19 points behind Man Utd)
2004: Fourth (30 points behind Arsenal) 

"In recent years Liverpool have always had six or seven really good players but it's not enough, they need 16 or 17 like all of the top three have.

"The gulf between the top three and the rest is bigger than it ever was, I can't see Liverpool challenging this year, next year or even the year after.

"Chelsea have changed the face of English football - what they have done, and Arsenal last year, is ensure that you cannot now win the league with average sides - as we did in 1986 and 1990."

Property giant Morgan has had two bids to inject cash into the club via a share issue turned down by chairman David Moores and abandoned another offer in December, accusing Moores of using his offer "as a stopgap while they look for a better one".

But Hansen claims the club cannot afford to procrastinate as they search for investment.

"I know Morgan well, he is a massive, massive fan, and it's just about an appropriate deal for all parties," he said.

"It's important to get this deal done because the team isn't good enough and the next two or three players Liverpool buy are going to be absolutely crucial.

"If nothing happens and they lose the captain, Steven Gerrard, it's all over for them.

"It's a really serious situation. I don't know the financial detail, but because they can't get the investment whoever is looking at the club wouldn't seem to think it's a good deal at the price everybody wants.

"The need for new investors is so imperative it's untrue."
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:46 am

I posted this because i agree with all what he says, and coming from him not me makes it a more of a valid statement.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:56 am

DAV wrote:"If nothing happens and they lose the captain, Steven Gerrard, it's all over for them.

"It's a really serious situation. I don't know the financial detail, but because they can't get the investment whoever is looking at the club wouldn't seem to think it's a good deal at the price everybody wants.

"The need for new investors is so imperative it's untrue."

Very worrying indeed :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:40 am

Agree with every word. This is what I have been banging on about for weeks !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:27 am

Without wishing to constantly return to the Gerrard issue, this is the one area where I don't agree with Jocky. It's not all about one player. He's our one true world-class performer agreed, but unless he recognises that fact (I'm sure he does) and sees it as a responsibility to the other players, coaching, cajoling and providing a focal point to make the TEAM a better one (I don't think he does) then it is reasonable to ask the question if we would be better off rid at the right price.
I for one, think we should resist any attempts to prise him away from the club but I do think it is time for things to be spelt out to Stevie in no uncertain terms. Performances and a body-language and demeanor that screams petulance, as on Saturday morning are not acceptable. Before anyone launches in I know he wasn't fit, but if he was as unfit as he looked then he shouldn't have played.
Last point. Though we all dislike him with a passion, does anybody believe if we had Roy Keane playing on Saturday instead of Stevie G that we would have lost? I know I don't. Keanne is no longer the player Gerrard is by a long chalk but for all you champ-man fans, his influence attribute is something Stevie would do well to try and emulate.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:53 am

I agree with Bigmick. LFC are on the slide but SG is not that big an issue. Good player (not world class at the moment) but if we sell him we'll get loads of money.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:02 am

Agreed BigMick.  Roy Keane is a great player.  Although in recent years he isn't as fast, his mind is still fast.  He still can scream and shout at his players, motivating them into giving their all.  He has every ManU player's respect.  He is a great captain.

Compare him with Gerrard, I don't know who is the better in his day.  Today, yes, Gerrard would probably be a better footballer.  But would he be a better "player", or even a better captain.  I think anyone who can stand back and look at it objectively, would agree that Keane is a better captain.

If we had Keane playing as Captain, I think the likes of Biscan, Warnock, Garcia, etc would play better. Giving 100%, or getting a good rollicking.

I think someone needs to tell Gerrard this.  He needs to captain the team, not just in his emotional displays (which have been lacking lately), but also in his ability to demand 100% from his fellow players on the pitch, and in the training pitch.  I can't remember thae last time I saw Gerrard give anyone a rollicking for a sloppy pass, or being out of position, etc.

My vote's with Carragher.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:51 am

SG, is not the issue. The real point is that we are on the slide, we need this financial input to stop the fall. Parry and Moores are f%king about like a pair of rabbits caught in the neadlights.
SG. is only a symptom, he is not the cause or the main issue. SG leaving would just be another graphic example of our decline, making us look like West Ham, produces great players, but can't hang on to them because they are not a big team and need the money !!   F%kin painful idea for all LFC fans, I would suggest. That's what Hansen is saying.!!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:21 pm

I agree with everything Hansen said, he talks sense unlike that c**t Lawrensen :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:24 pm

Redrider wrote:Parry and Moores are f%king about like a pair of rabbits caught in the neadlights.

A rabbit caught in the headlights is a dumb animal who knows no better.

I prefer to compare them to Nero fiddling as Rome burned. They know what is happening but are ignoring it in the hope that it goes awway.

It wont fcuking go away unless they wise up or go away.
FrankM

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:54 pm

Gerrard is but ONE player. How can anyone say that we are history just because one player decides to leave? Were we history when he was injured for two months? Bottom Line he is ambitious and in this fan's eyes disloyal. He thinks like a player, we think like fans so there will always be a difference. This player whose departure will make us 'History' played in Saturdays abject display. What did he do about it?

If he wants to go fine. He can feck off 'cos there are always other players.

But to the point of the thread, we are not a relic yet but in danger of becoming one. I agree that realistically, only major investment will allow us to close the gap on the top 3. David Moores has committed the crime of the century in my book in allowing the club to decline in such a way. We're the most sucessful club in British history and he's treating it like his personal plaything. LFC is bigger than any one individual. He should be reminded that he is a custodian of the club and if he cannot provide what is needed he should allow someone else to.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redrider » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:05 pm

StMick, I agree and Gerrard himself is not the issue, it is just that the very principal of a local lad, skipper of the side, leaving the club, is so very symbolic of the extent of our decline. It's a slap in the face, a bloody big wake up call !!
Never mind the loss of his skill, which in theory can always be replaced !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:05 pm

No player is bigger than the team. Gerrard isn't our biggest issue.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:15 pm

Hansen is my all time LFC hero and I well respect him but he is also now a journalist and paid to make these comments

There is an element of truth in his statement especially on the back of three defeats one being the FA Cup.

But he's not always right

"you wont win anything with spaniards"  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:17 pm

I think moores is just throwing gerrard out their to dilute the real situation and save his a$$. The guy is a retard, and all of this ****** about gerrard is pushing the blame on someone else. The guy is a F.ucking escapegoat, it is pathetic what he has done to save his ******. The management is suppose to help the team, what has moores done? I say let morgan come in and clean up all this mess. Our players are only reflecting what is happening in the boardroom. The way they are playing right now is showing what moores is doing to the club. Gerrard is upset with the management not the team or rafa. Get Morgan in there Now!
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion