Hand on heart......... - Where will we finish?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Just an out of interest thread, based on what we've seen so far this season. I know I'll probably get jumped on for daring to ask the question, being "negative", for not "believing", not "having faith" and the like, but if you think we'll win it then say so. Equally, there's no reason for it to turn into a Rafa bashing thread, or indeed a fan bashing thread, if the idea makes you foam at the mouth then don't read it or reply.

Anyway, so far the table is like this.

Chelsea P12 30 Points.
Arsenal  P11 25 Points.
Mancs   P12 25 Points.
Spurs    P12 22 Points.
Villa      P12 21 Points.
Man City P11 20 Points.
Liverpool P11 18 Points.
Sunderland P12 17 Points.

I'm assuming anyone currently outside the top eight won't concern us in terms of final positions.

Now obviously it's a given that we all hope we can pull it back, you never know, anything can happen and all that stuff, but I do think Chelsea will win it and I've been saying that for a bit. I actually expect them to win it reasonably comfortably from Arsenal, with the Mancs back in third in all probability, leaving us, Villa, City and Tottenham to fight it out for fourth. I expect us to gradually pull clear of Sunderland so I don't think they'll be a factor.

At the moment, although it looks a wee bit gloomy in terms of us actually winning it, we are still well in touch with those who are likely to battling it out for fourth. Realistically, I think it will ultimately come down to a straight fight between us and City and I think once we've got more fit players we'll have too much for them.

My final positions:

1.Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Mancs
4. Liverpool
5. Man City
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:11 pm

On the Betfair, I had a look at what the markets were predicting for the points totals and it looks like this:

Chelsea 85
Arsenal 80
Man Utd 78
Liverpool 69
Man City 66
Tottenham 63
Villa 58

I actually think we'll get closer than that, 16 points off the top looks high to me.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:21 pm

I Think If aquaman plays what he does in the game Tomorrow will show us where we can finish this season because we are looking to him to fill this void Alonso has left.If we can't get a win tomorrow I really doubt we can finish top 4.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:31 pm

4th and ill be delighted with that the way the season is panning out.

My big fear is that City will go out in January and spend big and have a good second half of the season. If that happens we could be in big trouble. We need to keep all our key players fit and playing well and we SHOULD be okay to finish in the top 4
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Realistically, 3rd. We're still good enough to grab second.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:49 pm

I watched the re run of the City Burnley game and I was quite encouraged to be honest. City looked very iffy at the back, 23 million quid for Lescott looks like a farcical signing based on that performance and Wayne Bridge looks like he's gone backwards too. Up front I think we might be in the initial stages of seeing Adebayor unravel. He's undoubtedly a talented player but I swear he's got a screw loose, and on another day could have been sent off. Their best two players were Bellamy and Barry, with Wright Phillips close behind them.

For us, if most players are fit I'm convinced we are a better team than them. I can't help thinking that Aquilani is going to make a big difference as I'm very unconvinced by our central midfield pairing, and I do like Riera down the left as he gives us balance. Get those two in and obviously get Torres and Gerrard fit and available, and I can see us looking like a really good team again. It's important while we've got these injuries and problems that we don't fall too far behind obviously, but at the moment the top four at least is well within our range. I actually think we might have a sneak of getting above the Mancs if we can get ourselves going soonish, as they are bluffing their way to wins at the moment IMHO. I think our best team is better than theirs anyway, put it that way.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:52 pm

bigmick wrote:I watched the re run of the City Burnley game and I was quite encouraged to be honest. City looked very iffy at the back, 23 million quid for Lescott looks like a farcical signing based on that performance and Wayne Bridge looks like he's gone backwards too. Up front I think we might be in the initial stages of seeing Adebayor unravel. He's undoubtedly a talented player but I swear he's got a screw loose, and on another day could have been sent off. Their best two players were Bellamy and Barry, with Wright Phillips close behind them.

For us, if most players are fit I'm convinced we are a better team than them. I can't help thinking that Aquilani is going to make a big difference as I'm very unconvinced by our central midfield pairing, and I do like Riera down the left as he gives us balance. Get those two in and obviously get Torres and Gerrard fit and available, and I can see us looking like a really good team again. It's important while we've got these injuries and problems that we don't fall too far behind obviously, but at the moment the top four at least is well within our range. I actually think we might have a sneak of getting above the Mancs if we can get ourselves going soonish, as they are bluffing their way to wins at the moment IMHO. I think our best team is better than theirs anyway, put it that way.

I think if Citeh go out in Jan and buy a top top Defensive Midfielder they will be a force they need that cover if they can get that I will be fearing our chances at 4th spot.

As for Torres I personaly would play him now all way to start of Dec then if he needs op get him off for it they said a month right ? get him back in for start of new year with a Month rest behind him. :nod
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man U
LFC2007

Postby Greavesie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 am

I believe we can win it

yep, I'm a fool :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:56 am

We are 8 points behind what we had after 11 games last season 18pts instead of 26points.
Chelsea have one point more than they had after 12 games last season
Mancs have one point more than they had last season
Arsenal have 5 points more than after 11 games last season
Villa have one point more
Spurs have 10 points more
Citeh have seven points more

So again we are the ONLY top 7 club doing worse than at the same stage last season.

Just to put it in perspective just how bad we are doing, we have 3 points less than we had at the same stage in 2007/8
We have one point more than we had in 2004/5 ..... but we finished 5th that year with 58 points.

Everything seems to depend now on Aquilani and getting Torres and Gerrard fit. If they are out for a considerable period we may be looking at fifth or sixth, if they play a large part of the season we could finish 3rd on about 76points.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:03 am

s@int wrote:We are 8 points behind what we had after 11 games last season 18pts instead of 26points.
Chelsea have one point more than they had after 12 games last season
Mancs have one point more than they had last season
Arsenal have 5 points more than after 11 games last season
Villa have one point more
Spurs have 10 points more
Citeh have seven points more

So again we are the ONLY top 7 club doing worse than at the same stage last season.

Doesn't really answer the question though S@int, it just proves as utter nonsense all the claims that the Premiership is more competitive as teams are all beating each other, everyone has improved etc etc.

So, where do you think we'll finish mate   ??? .
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 am

I think we will probably have to manage without either Torres or Gerrard for a large part of this season and finish 5th. You quoted me while I was still editing  :D

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:24 am

s@int wrote:I think we will probably have to manage without either Torres or Gerrard for a large part of this season and finish 5th. You quoted me while I was still editing  :D

Sorry mate :laugh:.

The good thing from our point of view is that even though we've been through a pretty horrific spell, we're not miles off the pace. While we've been getting beat every week, Man City have drawn five on the bounce. Throw in our one win against the Mancs, and we haven't really lost any ground to speak of. Equally, Chelsea also beat the Mancs so while they've obviously got a little gap on us, it's not absolutely outrageously big.Villa got done at West Ham, while Spurs got beat by Stoke and Arsenal, as well as Chelsea.

So the only teams who are looking impressive really are Arsenal and Chelsea. Now if we aren't going to win it, either of those would be preferable to most all of our fans than the Mancs.

The main plus though is that despite having problems, we are still right in there for a top four slot. If we were to find a bit of form (which we obviously will sooner or later) we will very quickly be back amongst those top four or five teams I should think, and from there we can press on and see where it takes us.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 am

My main worry is if Torres and Gerrard are out for some considerable time we just haven't got the players to get the goals. So unless we buy a striker at Christmas we could be in real trouble. Hopefully they won't need op's and will both be back soon......but if they aren't? :(

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:22 am

bigmick wrote:On the Betfair, I had a look at what the markets were predicting for the points totals and it looks like this:

Chelsea 85
Arsenal 80
Man Utd 78
Liverpool 69
Man City 66
Tottenham 63
Villa 58

I actually think we'll get closer than that, 16 points off the top looks high to me.

Will take this position at a snap now......

For me....the league is gone..the Owners know it. Benitez knows it (thus all the press reports on star players not sold if we don't qualify for champ league....and benitez admitting that the budget for this season will not be affected if we don't qualify for the knock-out stages....etc)

Now as long as manure doesn't win the league (both domestic and europe).... and they have a $hitty season....i would be satsified with just coming 4th.

Yeah....this is how low my expectation has gotten....is there any difference between houllier dark old ages (his last 2 seasons) and now ?
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion