Guillem balague - Rafa nearly quit last week

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Rafa Benitez thought of resigning from Liverpool last week and even discussed leaving the club with his closest allies, according to sources close to the Spanish manager. The only thing that stopped him from leaving Anfield was his respect for the Liverpool fans and for the people that work with him on a daily basis.

This is the first time since his arrival that Benitez has come this close to resigning, although on two other occasions offers from Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and a couple of other major European clubs led him to reassess his future at Anfield. On both occasions he decided to stay put and the club improved his contractual situation.

According to sources this time around, it is his desperation with the Barry transfer deal, the lack of a satisfactory conclusion to the Alonso transfer and the gaping hole on the left hand side of midfield - yet to be filled - that  are the major causes of his dissatisfaction and frustration. This has nothing to do with his contract. “Rafa doesn’t care about what he is getting paid, he thought he was being undermined this summer and was close to giving up”, says a friend of the manager.

The situation at Anfield has been so confusing over the last few weeks - with the Gareth Barry saga and Xabi Alonso's failed move to either Juventus or Arsenal - that Benitez felt  the need to explain, at his Friday press conference, that he was not involved in the Barry transfer: another way of saying that if it did not take place, then it was not his fault.

“Since I started talking with Martin O'Neill in April, I didn't talk with Aston Villa. All of the talks have been between Rick Parry and the owner and chief executive of As ton Villa and they have been pretty good... I was not doing the talks about Barry, I was not doing the talks about Alonso, so if someone wants to talk about these players, then they have to talk with the chief executive of our club. If you want to talk about football, talk with me," said Rafa.

According to different sources, Benitez would have liked Gareth Barry to have been his first signing of the summer, ahead of even Robbie Keane, and by now the squad would have been closed. Instead, there is at least one new player to come in, although Liverpool have not yet given up hope in signing the Villa midfielder. The club, according to sources close to Tom Hicks, can afford Gareth Barry or a new left winger without the need to sell anybody.

One final factor, that influenced Benitez' decision to stay, was his belief that the team is set for a very good season and that they are in a position to improve on last year.

This guy is close with Rafa and i believe what he has to say on this matter. There seems top be a lot going on behind close doors, all is obviously not well in the camp.

This could easily find its way into the team and that is not what we need with the season about to start.

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?id=57
Last edited by Dundalk on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:22 pm

Exactly , i just hope rafa tells the lads to concentrate on the game . Rafa is a good manager but he deserves more backing , he can't do a good job if funds are not provided , how much have we spent after selling this season? 10 million i guess or so . Hicks is going to be the downfall of this club as he's as stubborn cun.t who does not want to sell the club but than he does not want to give the manager funds to acquire signings. Just before the start of the season and now this news comes up , great timing :no
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KOPMATT » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:36 pm

I was a little concerned too with what i was hearing from the press conference today. However I don't want to hear talk about us signing Barry as IMO he's and average player and plays in a position that I feel we're well covered in, It's obvious to just about all of us fans that we need an attacking wide player and neither Barry or Reira I feel are of the quality that we need to move us up a level this season.
Also after Wednesday's performance is just one player all we need? ???
KOPMATT

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Unfeckinbelievable GET OUT OF OUR CLUB YOU FUCKIN CLUB  KILLERS  :angry:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:58 pm

In the case of Barry I understand Rafa's anger. Too much money quoted for a player? what's the difference 3-4 M? then don't buy another keeper and make it happen.

In the case of Alonso the situation is different. Rafa also says his price is very high in the market, so if Juventus and arsenal don't want to pay that price, then we cannot do much about it, neither can Parry.

Same old story. The problem here is for the club. Either if you're pro Rafa, or anti Rafa, you should be worried with the fact that the owners and Parry doesn't seem to be backing the football side of the club with money.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Cant wait for November when Twit & Tw@t have to give 50 million each of their own money for the stadium hopefully that will be the day they leave.

If not, in January they have to re-finance the loan of 56 million pound.

I hate these pair of b@stards they will be the death of our club.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KOPMATT » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Ciggy wrote:Unfeckinbelievable GET OUT OF OUR CLUB YOU FUCKIN CLUB  KILLERS  :angry:

Who do you mean ciggy? me?
KOPMATT

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 pm

Sounds to me as if it was up to Rafa........ Alonso would have been sold to Juventus for what we could get and Barry brought in..... maybe we would have still signed Keane....... maybe not?

Personally I can understand his frustration, if he thinks Barry would solve most of his problems but the negotiating is out of his hands, it must be annoying, especially when he has already said that he thinks Parry only pushes the deals that Parry thinks are good ones!
account deleted by request

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Suprise feckin suprise , it's been pretty quiet all feckin summer regarding the yanks , and ONE FECKIN DAY before the season starts , it kicks off again . Truly truly UNFECKINBELIEVABLE. :angry:

JUST GET THE FECK OUT OF OUR CLUB AND LEAVE US ALONE. :no
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KOPMATT » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:29 pm

you get your email Saint?
BTw, sorry Ciggy I got the wrong end of the stick i think you meant the Yanks............hope so.
YNWA
KOPMATT

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Only off Dawson mate.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:37 pm

s@int wrote:Sounds to me as if it was up to Rafa........ Alonso would have been sold to Juventus for what we could get and Barry brought in..... maybe we would have still signed Keane....... maybe not?

Personally I can understand his frustration, if he thinks Barry would solve most of his problems but the negotiating is out of his hands, it must be annoying, especially when he has already said that he thinks Parry only pushes the deals that Parry thinks are good ones!

No it was Parry trying to sell Alonso to Arsenal. 

I couldnt wait for the season to start but in the back of my mind dreading it aswell not because of results but because I knew all this :censored: would kick off again.

In November we will have more :censored:, and in January with the re-financing more :censored:.

What have we done to deserve this hey?

Parry p1ss off and take Randolph & Mortimer with yer.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:40 pm

KOPMATT wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Unfeckinbelievable GET OUT OF OUR CLUB YOU FUCKIN CLUB  KILLERS  :angry:

:laugh:
Paranoid Pete!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skatesy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:42 pm

If Rafa was really close with this guy and Rafa trusted him so much that he would tell him personal information like this do you think that Guillem would then go out and publicize it? I don't think so. If he did then I am sure that Rafa would A) not told him in the first place or, B) not be associated with him.

Rafa is not going to be going and telling people personal information like this if he knows that it is going to get out into the public.
skatesy

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Number 9 wrote:
KOPMATT wrote:

:laugh:
Paranoid Pete!!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  I think we are all getting paranoid mate  :D

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion