Guillem balague on sky's revista

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:48 am

Last night he said.

Eduardo Macia has been interviewed for the Director of Football job at Valencia (our man in Spain).
And Luis Garcia plus 25 million euro for Torres should do the trick.

1. I am not sure Torres would cut it in England must admit I havent watched him a lot, but the rumours started flying a few months back with that YNWA armband that made everyone think he was on his way here.
For his big name alone most would prefer him over Darren bent maybe I would aswell.

But under no uncertain terms would I want our little Luis going he is our only player with a bit of flair and can turn a game on its head.
He makes the difference when teams like the bitters and Bolton come to Anfield with a ten man defence them 0-0 games end up with us winning because he is so unpredictable, and is a vital member of the squad in the CL.

Id all be for Torres coming but not with Garcia thrown into the deal.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:52 am

I heard him say this last night on the tellybox

For us this would be a poor deal,

Torres is over-rated, and little Luis shouldn't be going anywhere, we need him next season,

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:54 am

give them Cisse. (unless we have got rid already)

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:04 am

Dont like the sound of that at all.

I actually think Torres is a decent player and would do ok over here, but he isnt exactly the predatory 20+ goals a season man, and at that price and losing one of our most creative and big game players it would be a huge mistake.

We missed luis badly last season, especially in Athens.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:14 am

It would explain our interest in Benyoun if Garcia is off back to Spain though wouldnt it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 am

Ciggy wrote:It would explain our interest in Benyoun if Garcia is off back to Spain though wouldnt it.

Maybe, but i think there is room for them both in our squad, especially if one got injured, thats puts us in a similar predicament to last season-struggling for creativity.

Obviously Rafa could bring in a few creative players but until he does the thought of losing the one player we have in that mould worries me.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:16 am

Luis Garcia plus 25 million euro for Torres is expensive for me
puroresu

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:35 am

The thing is, Fernando Torres is a quality player. Villa is probably better at the mo, so is eto'o, but £25m euros is, I can't believe I'm saying this, not that bad a price. But throwing L'il Luis into the bargain makes this a hard choice.

The problem with Garcia is that he's highly specialized. He can play on the wing but he's a little too slight, and he gives the ball away too much to be a winger in the premiership. His place is in the forward/attacking-midfielder role and we have to ask ourselves how much we are going to use that sort of player next season. We know we're getting another striker, so with Kuyt, Crouch, Mr X and maybe even Bellamy if we can't get rid of him, is there still going to be opertunity for a player like Garcia?
I know he is one of the very few flair players that we have, but is he going to give us 10, 15 goals next season? And how much are those errors of his going to cost us? Maybe 2 or 3 goals will come from those slip ups, we just don't know. Torres has the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker, after a suitable bedding in period obviously, and he can poach as well as shoot with great power and skill. I do watch a fair bit of Spanish football and he is worth the money and maybe even Garcia as well. I think also that he would not cost that much. People, including Senor Ballague, were suggesting that the fee would be nearer to 15m Euros because Athletico cannot afford to let him go free after their recent spending sprees.
And we didn't have Garcia for this past season did we? Well, not much of it? Torres has flair, Benayoun can provide some too, and I heard a rumour that we were chasing some Brazilian kid called Eduardo.

Would I spend 25m Euros on Torres? Yes. Would I through Garcia into the bargain? Probably, though I'd be a lot more comfortable with the price being somewhere around 15-20m Euros.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:45 am

If Garcia goes we'll have less flair players than f#cking Everton.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:58 am

The Ace1983 wrote:The thing is, Fernando Torres is a quality player. Villa is probably better at the mo, so is eto'o, but £25m euros is, I can't believe I'm saying this, not that bad a price. But throwing L'il Luis into the bargain makes this a hard choice.

The problem with Garcia is that he's highly specialized. He can play on the wing but he's a little too slight, and he gives the ball away too much to be a winger in the premiership. His place is in the forward/attacking-midfielder role and we have to ask ourselves how much we are going to use that sort of player next season. We know we're getting another striker, so with Kuyt, Crouch, Mr X and maybe even Bellamy if we can't get rid of him, is there still going to be opertunity for a player like Garcia?
I know he is one of the very few flair players that we have, but is he going to give us 10, 15 goals next season? And how much are those errors of his going to cost us? Maybe 2 or 3 goals will come from those slip ups, we just don't know. Torres has the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker, after a suitable bedding in period obviously, and he can poach as well as shoot with great power and skill. I do watch a fair bit of Spanish football and he is worth the money and maybe even Garcia as well. I think also that he would not cost that much. People, including Senor Ballague, were suggesting that the fee would be nearer to 15m Euros because Athletico cannot afford to let him go free after their recent spending sprees.
And we didn't have Garcia for this past season did we? Well, not much of it? Torres has flair, Benayoun can provide some too, and I heard a rumour that we were chasing some Brazilian kid called Eduardo.

Would I spend 25m Euros on Torres? Yes. Would I through Garcia into the bargain? Probably, though I'd be a lot more comfortable with the price being somewhere around 15-20m Euros.

Couldn't disagree enough with you ACE on this one.
25m euros for Torres is about 14m too much at best for me. The guy looked a great prospect when he first appeared on the scene but he hasn't progressed any further since then and spends way too much time diving for me. His goal scoring record is modest at best and I could see him being worse in front of goal than Morientes. The added insult of having to throw in Garcia is just a step too far for me as I think Garcia offers moe to the team than Torres ever would.

I'll finish my response later, lunchtime is calling.  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:04 pm

If Garcia goes I wouldnt be that disappointed.  He does get goals but there are better players out there.  His not a week in week out performer.  He has the ability to do something out of nothing but does he have it in him to be a playmaker who can be relied on to do the business on a consistent basis.  I dont think so
puroresu

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:07 pm

how bout we trade garcia for torres n they offer us 25m, i wouldnt say no hehe  :rasp
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:49 pm

:no Luis Garcia + 25 M?? That's to say, about 35M euros for Torres? a non finisher?  :no

This Ballague is starting to write in Spain again when things about England are commented. And when I read him in his natural language I can see what he is. A book seller.

I hope this is one of his ideas, not Rafa's plans. I'd be both sad, gutted, dissapointed and worried sick.

And I won't defend Torres from your rage when he fails miserably, instead, I'll join you  :no
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:05 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool Officials In Madrid For Torres
http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=332509
Goal.com can reveal that Liverpool officials are in Madrid to complete the transfer of Fernando Torres.

The big money signings that the new Liverpool owners have been promising might finally become a reality.

George Gillett had insisted on Monday evening that he was ready for Liverpool's "phase two": the signing of new players after securing key ones to improved contracts, and there have been definite movements.

They have been tracking Fernando Torres for a while, and have now stepped up their efforts.

The Reds are looking to make their mark this summer, and a team has travelled to Madrid, we can confirm.

The objective is to finalise the transfer of the Atleti skipper, and today itself if possible.

Torres, 23, has scored 14 goals in what has been a very moderate season, one in which the club have collectively struggled.

After having his buy-out clause reduced to 40 million euros last summer, he is now ready to make the jump to a bigger club.

An earlier bid (from another club) in the region of 30 million euros fell just short of expectations, and we believe that Liverpool will offer players as a part of the deal, in order to bring down the price. Luis Garcia - who played at Atletico Madrid before Barcelona - is supposedly the player who has been offered.

The midfielder had an absolutely stunning season at the Vicente Calderon in 2002-03, when he scored 9 goals in 30 games in addition to setting up many, and still has admirers at the club.

It is being seen by many as a trip similar to Carlos Quieroz's to Portugal, when Manchester United set the transfer marked on fire. At the very least, the objective is similar, to tell other clubs, and as much their own fans, that they mean business!

Also in the echo.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:09 pm

He looks good on youtube.......He looks good on youtube.........He looks good on youtube.......He looks good on youtube.........He looks good on youtube.......He looks good on youtube.........He looks good on youtube.......He looks good on youtube......... :p
account deleted by request

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion