Interview with guillem balague

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:12 am

'A season on the brink' was published a year ago as the story of Rafa's success and ESPNsoccernet caught up with the author to discuss the latest update to the book, the Spaniard's impact at Liverpool, and the start of the La Liga season.

Q. Hi Guillem. You know Rafa Benitez better than most, what has he brought to the English game since his arrival at Liverpool?

A. His approach is different to Arsene Wenger or Sir Alex, even Jose Mourinho. It is based on a strong defence and good use of possession, applying a different tempo to the English game than others. It has been fascinating to follow closely his learning of a new competition as well as the impact he has had on the club. He could leave now and 50 years later the city would still stop for him

Q. How did you get to know him and what made you decide to write the book?

A. I had interviewed him few times while at Valencia and we always tended to talk about English football. He always felt interested by it and when he came to Liverpool I was not surprised. Two publishers approached me about writing a book but the confirmation that I was going to do one on Liverpool came at 7am on the 26th of May 2005, while I was sleeping off a long night in Istanbul.

Q. What do you think it will take for Liverpool to challenge for the Premiership title in the near future? And has Rafa heaped the pressure on himself by winning the Champions League in his first season with the club?

A. Winning the Champions League has won him time more than added pressure. After that (and consider the lineup he had on that day), he has had time to build a side that combined style and power. But money has been an issue and the job is still half done. I predict a big clearout next summer while he finds the right combination. Internally, this was the year they thought they would fight for the title, but I still think Liverpool will be closer to the top than last year

Q. Liverpool have struggled recently, with many in the media blaming Rafa's rotation policy. What do you make of his choice to change the team around so much? Is it something he used to do a lot at Valencia?

A. He used to do that at Valencia and received certain criticisms but not as much as here. The main reason for this is that it did work well at Valencia. In a match against Sevilla, where a victory would give him the title, he left Ruben Baraja and Pablo Aimar out of the side! People should forget about 'the best eleven' and rubbish like that. Football has changed and rotation is the new rule! Everybody is doing it.

Q. Is he getting the best out of Steven Gerrard by playing him on the right of midfield instead of through the centre?

A. Without Momo (Sissoko), they will have to make up a defensive midfielder as I don't think there is an automatic replacement for him. But that is not what Gerrard is. People are obsessed about him playing on the right hand side, but I can see him moving everywhere. Players are working for him to be able to roam freely and that is certainly his best asset. Liverpool change tactics a bit to accommodate his talent, but that is nothing new. Ronaldinho, Zidane, Nedved, del Piero, Raul... they have all had to change positions to maintain a certain defensive balance and it has worked fine for them.

Q. It has been said that Liverpool are 'ripe' for a takeover. Would you like to see a foreign investor take over the club and how would you like Rafa to spend the money that that would bring?

A. It is such a special club that will require a special investor. It is a delicate issue but one that will have to be properly faced by the owners. Times are moving and new times demand new solutions to keep growing. How you keep the locality of the club at the same time? I don't have an answer for that.

Q. Are they missing a player like Michael Owen? Why do you think Rafa declined the chance to re-sign him?

A. All is revealed in the update of the book! But a clue - Owen was badly advised and he cried when he realized he couldn't go to Liverpool.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns....cc=5739

A big clearout at the end of the season!!! If there was a clearout who would go? Hyypia , Finnan , Zenden, Dudek, Kewell, I suppose it also depends on who's available at other clubs as well.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby red37 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:15 am

cheers saint for putting it up.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Feeney » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:20 am

s@int wrote:'A season on the brink' was published a year ago as the story of Rafa's success and ESPNsoccernet caught up with the author to discuss the latest update to the book, the Spaniard's impact at Liverpool, and the start of the La Liga season.

Q. Hi Guillem. You know Rafa Benitez better than most, what has he brought to the English game since his arrival at Liverpool?

A. His approach is different to Arsene Wenger or Sir Alex, even Jose Mourinho. It is based on a strong defence and good use of possession, applying a different tempo to the English game than others. It has been fascinating to follow closely his learning of a new competition as well as the impact he has had on the club. He could leave now and 50 years later the city would still stop for him

Q. How did you get to know him and what made you decide to write the book?

A. I had interviewed him few times while at Valencia and we always tended to talk about English football. He always felt interested by it and when he came to Liverpool I was not surprised. Two publishers approached me about writing a book but the confirmation that I was going to do one on Liverpool came at 7am on the 26th of May 2005, while I was sleeping off a long night in Istanbul.

Q. What do you think it will take for Liverpool to challenge for the Premiership title in the near future? And has Rafa heaped the pressure on himself by winning the Champions League in his first season with the club?

A. Winning the Champions League has won him time more than added pressure. After that (and consider the lineup he had on that day), he has had time to build a side that combined style and power. But money has been an issue and the job is still half done. I predict a big clearout next summer while he finds the right combination. Internally, this was the year they thought they would fight for the title, but I still think Liverpool will be closer to the top than last year

Q. Liverpool have struggled recently, with many in the media blaming Rafa's rotation policy. What do you make of his choice to change the team around so much? Is it something he used to do a lot at Valencia?

A. He used to do that at Valencia and received certain criticisms but not as much as here. The main reason for this is that it did work well at Valencia. In a match against Sevilla, where a victory would give him the title, he left Ruben Baraja and Pablo Aimar out of the side! People should forget about 'the best eleven' and rubbish like that. Football has changed and rotation is the new rule! Everybody is doing it.

Q. Is he getting the best out of Steven Gerrard by playing him on the right of midfield instead of through the centre?

A. Without Momo (Sissoko), they will have to make up a defensive midfielder as I don't think there is an automatic replacement for him. But that is not what Gerrard is. People are obsessed about him playing on the right hand side, but I can see him moving everywhere. Players are working for him to be able to roam freely and that is certainly his best asset. Liverpool change tactics a bit to accommodate his talent, but that is nothing new. Ronaldinho, Zidane, Nedved, del Piero, Raul... they have all had to change positions to maintain a certain defensive balance and it has worked fine for them.

Q. It has been said that Liverpool are 'ripe' for a takeover. Would you like to see a foreign investor take over the club and how would you like Rafa to spend the money that that would bring?

A. It is such a special club that will require a special investor. It is a delicate issue but one that will have to be properly faced by the owners. Times are moving and new times demand new solutions to keep growing. How you keep the locality of the club at the same time? I don't have an answer for that.

Q. Are they missing a player like Michael Owen? Why do you think Rafa declined the chance to re-sign him?

A. All is revealed in the update of the book! But a clue - Owen was badly advised and he cried when he realized he couldn't go to Liverpool.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns....cc=5739

A big clearout at the end of the season!!! If there was a clearout who would go? Hyypia , Finnan , Zenden, Dudek, Kewell, I suppose it also depends on who's available at other clubs as well.

Owe wasn't badly advised (i've read the book), he decided to take £100K a week over the right choice.

Money is a wonderful thing... :down:

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:32 am

I just dont understand the money thing with top footballers. What can they buy with £100k per week that they cant buy with £80k per week? Its not as if they need a new house/car/ boat every other week. I can understand the "poor" footballer who only earns £20k per week needing more money but one you get above £50k per week it must be meaningless.

Surely personal happiness, cups, trophys etc should be more important than an extra few quid ?
account deleted by request

Postby Reg » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:23 am

I guess it depends how much they lose on the horses!! :eyebrow
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:57 am

Owens played a handful of games in two years, im fecking glad we didnt resign him!

As for the article, nice little read, i rate that guys thoughts, he knows what hes on about
Last edited by dawson99 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:42 pm

guillem balague is a kind of syndrome that sidelined markus babbel for months isn't it?

:p
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:03 pm

Big clearout???

All will be relvealed im sure come the end of the season but the most important question there was the one concerning the take over. It will be a tough task to keepthe locality of the club as well as the right amount of investment needed to compete with the like ofr Chelsea, Utd and even Arsenal.

Its all good and well to say that we dont want to sell ur soul like the other clubs but you have to think realistically a few years down the line. We have a good chance with Rafa to build a side that can do the business for years but if that chance isnt taken now then who knows where we will be in 3 years time.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion