Gillett interview on a local radio station

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mikopool » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:54 am

Local radio station called him up for an interview, supposed to be about hockey but they pressed him hard and got some pretty interesting stuff out of him. Wait a bit for the part about Liverpool.

Gillett talks liverpool ownership, mls,hockey.

(Liverpool related is 4 minutes in)
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby Kukilon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 am

He seems like quite a descent guy and confirms what we allready know. Hicks is a :censored: retard.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:49 am

Yeah very interesting stuff, sounds like there is definitely a deal going on in the background, very interesting to hear that he gave Hicks the opportunity of buying him out but that Hicks was unable to do it. Surely Gillett doesn't have the money to buy Hicks out so that only leaves one option and that is to sell to DIC. I expect this to be wrapped up fairly soon.
It certainly sounds likk Gillett hates Hicks with a passion and I agree that he sounds like an ok guy, death threats against him are way out of order though.  :veryangry
heimdall

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:53 am

It is gonna be good as when DIC take us over, we will be able to get the qualities players we have only been able to dream of in the past such as Archie Thompson and Danny Allsop along with brazilian Leandro love
Jesse

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:09 am

I've just scrawled out a quick transcript of the highlights. Has to be said, it's absolutely fascinating stuff. About time some of this stuff bubbled to the surface.

Q: What's going on at Liverpool?

Gillett: Oh boy. I think we're at that point where there are things going on...there are pieces on the chessboard being moved, or being contemplated to be moved that I don't think it would be helpful for us or people at the club to comment on it.

Suffice to say, however, that our goal from the beginning was to try and be supportive and add to the lustre of this magnificent sporting franchise, and what's happened this year has not done that, we certainly haven't done it on the pitch yet, although we're playing very well in the Champions League, but we've had a marginally good year in the Premiership. Our loss to Man U last Sunday 3-0 was a heartbreaker, because we played 11 on 10 - we had Mascherano thrown off - for...I'm unclear on what happened, but clearly they sent a referee in with a no tolerance programme and we happened to make the wrong comment to the new tough referee at the wrong time, and you just can't play Man U...it's tough enough playing them 11 on 11. So I think we're at a point now where we want to finish the season out...we want to finish it strongly, play well in the Champions League...

Foster and I are going to be going out to the Arsenal game next week, and we've just decided that this is an extraordinary time and we're going to enjoy it and we're gonna be there, and by god we're gonna try and be a positive influence on this process.

We get as many as 2000 emails a week here, and I'd say that 95% of them have been directed as some of the comments made by my partner. 5% have been frankly aimed at both of us - you know - 'go home Americans'. But for the most part... as recently as today - we've had 25 emails - I've had several conversations with fans who represent important blog sites and so forth. They've invited me to come to famous pubs as a guest, see how they sing the songs or get ready to sing the songs, and there's none of the animosity that seems to be directed at others within the ownership group.

I must say however that the most difficult part for us has been that... because of the things that have been said by the fans towards one or both of us, the fact is the thing that angers them the most is the prospect that I might sell even 1 share of stock to my partner. They do not want him to have a controlling interest in this club. They don't even want him to have any ownership in the club based on what they're saying and sending to me. So as a result of that - and it's been very difficult for my wife with the amount that I travel - we receive many phone calls in the middle of the night threatening our lives... death threats. They've come to the office, and to Foster and Lauren - my son and daughter-in-law - have received them themselves.

A number of the blog sites have... you know, we're very private people, but my number's in the phone book and I'm not shy - if I make a mistake I'm prepared to take the hit for it. The private phone numbers and the cell phone numbers are apparently on some blog sites and we've received a number of calls. And again it's interesting that the calls are not against my wife or myself or my son or my daughter-in-law, as much as they are against us selling to my partner. So we're rethinking that - frankly I don't think it's fair for me to put my family in that kind of danger, so instead of thinking about selling, maybe we'll think about buying.

Q: Bluntly, has this relationship with Mr Hicks become unworkable?

Gillett: Oh it has been for some time. Not because of us. Oh we've tried to be cooperative, we've tried to be supportive, but when your public persona is more important than the facts, that makes it difficult to have a rational relationship.

Q: So where we are now is the exit strategy or the entry strategy, if you will?

Gillett: It's really hard to say until you get something in writing or you put money in the bank.

We were very fair, we gave our partner a long period of time to make arrangements to buy us out - we didn't put pressure on him, we couldn't have been a better partner, and he ultimately didn't get to the finish line. In the meantime, because of things that he's said, the fans' reaction has been so negative toward him, and toward us if we sold to him, that that has made that an untenable alternative to us.

Q: I just want to clarify...The Dubai interest was with you and that he effective blocked that possibility for you. Is that accurate?

He threatened to.

Q: Do you think that deal could've and would've gone ahead?

Well I think that's certainly one of the things that made the fans upset. Lord knows they had the money, and with oil prices going up every day, that's not an issue, and they certainly have the history with the fans and I think they'd have been very responsible owners. So I guess not making that possible, or making that difficult didn't endear people to the fans. There's an awful lot going on here... what I know is that the fans and the great fabled history of this club deserve better and we're going to do everything we can to provide that in whatever role we play.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:20 am

Who said that supporters can't make a difference?  It's just sad that some chose to send death threats to him and his family.  That's totally out of order.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby AussieKopite » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:48 am

I would like to hear Hicks version (not sure it would change my low opinion of Hicks) in the interests of balance. I think that if we miss out on Champions League action next season, they will both sell to DIC.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:12 am

A VERY interesting insight.

Good work Mikopool.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:39 am

great stuff... I guess the heat's on hicks now...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TwelthMan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:02 am

WOW that tells me that positive direct protesting does work. How many of the softies said don't make it personal? Well, this is the outcome of good honest solid threats against a :censored:. George sees sense - he won't find a horse head in his bed and we won't find our club ruined forever - fair deal to me. :;):
TwelthMan

Postby maguskwt » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:14 am

TwelthMan wrote:WOW that tells me that positive direct protesting does work. How many of the softies said don't make it personal? Well, this is the outcome of good honest solid threats against a :censored:. George sees sense - he won't find a horse head in his bed and we won't find our club ruined forever - fair deal to me. :;):

unbelieveable...

I'm all for protesting... but threats are just not necessary and shouldn't be encouraged...  :no

how would you feel if you and your family's lives are being threatened... and you call it "good honest solid threats"?  :no  disgraceful
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:37 am

I'm all for protesting, I just don't think it should be personal. Jesse seems very similar to simon because (Barry Belfast). Can the mods ban his IP?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TwelthMan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:45 am

Get a grip, my folks dont own LFC and if they did they'd soon have a horses head in their beds :p
TwelthMan

Postby TwelthMan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:48 am

AussieKopite wrote:I'm all for protesting, I just don't think it should be personal. Jesse seems very similar to simon because (Barry Belfast). Can the mods ban his IP?

Ever heard of letting others voice their opinion even if u dont like it? I am not advocating violence. Just have strong opinion about Hicks. Good day to you...check your bed...  :D

And i'm not simon or barry.
Last edited by TwelthMan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwelthMan

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:52 am

Wow.

It doesn't sound good at all.

The death threats are way out of order though.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion