Gerrard article - The guardian

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby roberto green » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:21 pm

I know this sounds harsh and there is so many fans that brown nose Gerrard but do you think if we would of sold Gerrard a few seasons back we would of moved on and would of been more dependent  and a better team without him?....ask yourself that question,

By no means do i think he is not a good player but he has so much focus just on him when we play and everythink just goes through him and doesnt seem to be so much a team game.

I just cant help to think we would be a better team without him and i know i will have every man and his dog on here to have a go at me but thats my opinion.
roberto green

Postby redhayesy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:00 am

roberto green wrote:I know this sounds harsh and there is so many fans that brown nose Gerrard but do you think if we would of sold Gerrard a few seasons back we would of moved on and would of been more dependent  and a better team without him?....ask yourself that question,

By no means do i think he is not a good player but he has so much focus just on him when we play and everythink just goes through him and doesnt seem to be so much a team game.

I just cant help to think we would be a better team without him and i know i will have every man and his dog on here to have a go at me but thats my opinion.

you are entitled to your opinion,that is what
the forum is & should be about!

so on what basis do you think LFC would be better
off without gerrard, cause for me i can"t think of one!!
but that"s my opinion, please give me any reason"s why you think we would be a better team without him, cause ask
yourself this question -who the feck would you have
to replace him, like i said before one man doesn"t make a team
but for me he is a massive influence on the squad,&
other players need to respond more to that, more to the
point i sincerly believe that he is a "Red through & through
that  he would never take his place in the side, be it
as captain or not to take his place for granted.
how many times has he played a vital role in victory"s
in games after istanbul, not many imho good players
come & go - but not many good captains of this club
& for me that is why gerrard is special, & i don"t
honestly see how we would be more depentant
or a better team without him.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:02 am

roberto green wrote:I know this sounds harsh and there is so many fans that brown nose Gerrard but do you think if we would of sold Gerrard a few seasons back we would of moved on and would of been more dependent  and a better team without him?....ask yourself that question,

When do you mean sold him? Before he helped us win the Cl or before he helped us win the FA cup and finished our top scorer and player of the year?

The only way it could have helped us by selling Gerrard, is if we could have bought someone of equal or greater ability in, and as there arn't many of those about I am quite happy to stick with our Captain.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:04 am

Well, my opinion is that you've got this very, very wrong.  Gerrard has been immense for us since deciding to stay and, while he's going through a bit of a flat patch at the moment, he's still our best player by some distance most matches.  This season alone I would point to the Villa match and the Chelsea match as evidence of how much the captain still means to this side.  Perhaps if he were able to get over the broken toe properly we might not have heard so much concern with, what is in reality, a temporary drop in form.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby roberto green » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:59 am

Ok to answer all of your question in one quick sum.

By no means am  I claiming that Gerrard hasn't been our best player over the past 5 years but with him in the team how come so many of our other players dont seem to perform.Gerrard tatically isnt the best he is undisiplined and there isn't as much focus on the team its about how he is going to inspire us to victory.This again doesn't mean i dont think he is our best player which he clearly is.

You look at another team over the past 2 years that have heavily focused on one player being there one man team in Arsenal with Thiery Henry and no one can deny what a top class player he was but when you have someone who is clearly head and heels above the rest of the team and seen as the club idol IMO it just makes the rest of the team look for the Gerrards/Henry's to do something magical even as if they are scared to do something themselves incase of always being in their shadows.

Look at Arsenal since Henry has left it makes them play more as a team.I may be well wrong in this statement but it just seems to be something in it.
You look at us this season without him and the team has played far better and for me Alonso comes into his own when Gerrard does'nt play.

As ive said before i for one think he is our best player... but i think we would be a better team without him with the emphasis being on the team

I hope that has give you my reasons..
roberto green

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:11 am

roberto green wrote:Ok to answer all of your question in one quick sum.

By no means am  I claiming that Gerrard hasn't been our best player over the past 5 years but with him in the team how come so many of our other players dont seem to perform.Gerrard tatically isnt the best he is undisiplined and there isn't as much focus on the team its about how he is going to inspire us to victory.This again doesn't mean i dont think he is our best player which he clearly is.

You look at another team over the past 2 years that have heavily focused on one player being there one man team in Arsenal with Thiery Henry and no one can deny what a top class player he was but when you have someone who is clearly head and heels above the rest of the team and seen as the club idol IMO it just makes the rest of the team look for the Gerrards/Henry's to do something magical even as if they are scared to do something themselves incase of always being in their shadows.

Look at Arsenal since Henry has left it makes them play more as a team.I may be well wrong in this statement but it just seems to be something in it.
You look at us this season without him and the team has played far better and for me Alonso comes into his own when Gerrard does'nt play.

As ive said before i for one think he is our best player... but i think we would be a better team without him with the emphasis being on the team

Okay, I understand what your saying and maybe a tiny part of me agrees to a limited extent.  Perhaps the team would have gelled in an amazing way if Gerrard had left.  Perhaps we'd be worse off than we are now.  Personally, I'm glad we didn't have to find out how life without Gerrard would be because I have a sneaking suspicion that the frustration levels on here would be much higher now without the services of our captain over the last two years. 

IMHO, the danger with this kind of thinking is that it scapegoats Gerrard in a similar way that some of the rotation discussion scapegoats Rafa.  There's no one single reason why we're struggling at the moment so it seems churlish to imply (if we take your question to its logical conclusion) that the team might be better off without Gerrard.  As far as I'm concerned, we are no longer a one man team and that means that all of the players and the manager need to shoulder the blame for this dip in form.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby roberto green » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:19 am

Bad Bob wrote:
roberto green wrote:Ok to answer all of your question in one quick sum.

Okay, I understand what your saying and maybe a tiny part of me agrees to a limited extent.  Perhaps the team would have gelled in an amazing way if Gerrard had left.  Perhaps we'd be worse off than we are now.  Personally, I'm glad we didn't have to find out how life without Gerrard would be because I have a sneaking suspicion that the frustration levels on here would be much higher now without the services of our captain over the last two years. 

IMHO, the danger with this kind of thinking is that it scapegoats Gerrard in a similar way that some of the rotation discussion scapegoats Rafa.  There's no one single reason why we're struggling at the moment so it seems churlish to imply (if we take your question to its logical conclusion) that the team might be better off without Gerrard.  As far as I'm concerned, we are no longer a one man team and that means that all of the players and the manager need to shoulder the blame for this dip in form.

Yeah fair enough, it does well seem scary to think of L.F.C without Gerrard but i dont think we would be as bad off as some seem tot hink we would.
roberto green

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion