Fowler - Bring him back

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:26 am

Sabre wrote:He was certainly a very rated and well known striker overseas needless to say. There was quite stick here when we saw his "famous" celebration of the goal sniffin.

I didn't like that tbh, because it's an ill example for so many youngsters. But here the press gave him too much stick, I find it hypocrite that when they all (famous people in spain, journalist, politics, everybody) sniff ??? (1) and they didn't seem to be ready to forgive him that gesture, even when he apologised for it (IIRC). Anyway, that should not mark him forever, as he's a sound striker.

I just wanted to comment that because that image of him really had an impact here :(

Sabre

(1) It really scares me the level of nose drugs I see when I go out there nowadays among the young people. You go to the WC to make a proper pee, and you must wait some idiots take their dose  :no

I actually thought that celebration was sarcasm at its best and found it rather funny. If I remember rightly it had something to do with rumours on merseyside ( the blue side) that Fowler was a crack head , I think.

I couldnt really care what the Spanish thought or think of him, he's a legend and should be remembered for his football.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:29 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Well, there's obviously question marks over Owen's fitness, and Robbie Keane is currently keeping Defoe out of Spurs' starting 11.

Beyond that, there's not a lot of time to look at Bent or Johnson in friendlies. I'm not sure Sven will promote Ashton ahead of strikers playing in the Prem, Heskey's a shadow of his former self (such as it often was) and Vassell, although he has been scoring lately, doesn't exactly look international class.

And don't forget that Fowler went to the last World Cup. With more good performances under his belt, that may start to count for a lot. :D

Thats a very big call , Fowler at the World cup  ???   :)
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:30 am

I couldnt really care what the Spanish thought or think of him, he's a legend and should be remembered for his football.

Precisely.

I understand you don't care what foreigners think, tbh.

But I think some legend's name should have a good reputation not only in England but in Europe. He deserves it, wtf.

Glad it was sarcasm, they wouldn't tell us that part of the story, and at the time, I hadn't so frequent internet access. Bad journalism stinks, and Liverpool players must be respected in any language. Arab too. :p
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:31 am

Bamaga man wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:Well, there's obviously question marks over Owen's fitness, and Robbie Keane is currently keeping Defoe out of Spurs' starting 11.

Beyond that, there's not a lot of time to look at Bent or Johnson in friendlies. I'm not sure Sven will promote Ashton ahead of strikers playing in the Prem, Heskey's a shadow of his former self (such as it often was) and Vassell, although he has been scoring lately, doesn't exactly look international class.

And don't forget that Fowler went to the last World Cup. With more good performances under his belt, that may start to count for a lot. :D

Fowler can't get into a very average City starting 11........there's no way Sven is going to pick him in his World Cup squad.  Even with Injuries, Ashton and Johnson would get priority over Robbie.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:31 am

Sabre wrote:He was certainly a very rated and well known striker overseas needless to say. There was quite stick here when we saw his "famous" celebration of the goal sniffin.

I didn't like that tbh, because it's an ill example for so many youngsters. But here the press gave him too much stick, I find it hypocrite that when they all (famous people in spain, journalist, politics, everybody) sniff ??? (1) and they didn't seem to be ready to forgive him that gesture, even when he apologised for it (IIRC). Anyway, that should not mark him forever, as he's a sound striker.

I just wanted to comment that because that image of him really had an impact here :(

Sabre

(1) It really scares me the level of nose drugs I see when I go out there nowadays among the young people. You go to the WC to make a proper pee, and you must wait some idiots take their dose  :no

I work in the national media here in the UK (guns down lads - not one of Murdoch's lot :D), and although I can vouch for the (fairly) drug free lifestyles of my direct colleagues, it makes me absolutely howl with laughter to see the way that some writers - particularly in the tabloids - try and kill careers by writing stories about sportsmen and celebrities getting involved in drugs.

The UK mainstream media has an appalling problem with drink and drugs. It's an absolute fact, and the only reason you don't read about it is because they're basically all as bad as one another.

I've said to many people since I got into the industry - one day someone will dig in as an undercover reporter, getting the behind the scenes scoop on the lifestyles of journalists on all of the major titles, and the media in this country will never be the same again.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:37 am

Who do you work for Ivor ?
66-1112520797

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:41 am

7_Kewell wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Fowler can't get into a very average City starting 11........there's no way Sven is going to pick him in his World Cup squad.  Even with Injuries, Ashton and Johnson would get priority over Robbie.

It's a big, brash, slightly deranged call, but I think another month of goalscoring will definitely put him back into the mix.

He's third in the pecking order at Man City, but then to be fair both Cole and Vassell have done a job for them this year. He's only had one start and one subs appearance, but in that time he's scored four goals, and as a result he's definitely going to get more time on the pitch in coming matches.

Basically, not too many English strikers have come through since Rob was last in an England squad, and of those, only Rooney, Crouch and Defoe would walk into an England squad right now. Everyone else is a gamble, and it's a matter of going for those that have big time experience behind them (Vassell, Heskey, Fowler), or else go for youth and potential (Ashton, Johnson, Bent).

There are pros and cons to either approach.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:44 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

It's a big, brash, slightly deranged call, but I think another month of goalscoring will definitely put him back into the mix.

He's third in the pecking order at Man City, but then to be fair both Cole and Vassell have done a job for them this year. He's only had one start and one subs appearance, but in that time he's scored four goals, and as a result he's definitely going to get more time on the pitch in coming matches.

Basically, not too many English strikers have come through since Rob was last in an England squad, and of those, only Rooney, Crouch and Defoe would walk into an England squad right now. Everyone else is a gamble, and it's a matter of going for those that have big time experience behind them (Vassell, Heskey, Fowler), or else go for youth and potential (Ashton, Johnson, Bent).

There are pros and cons to either approach.

i wouldn't say it's a foolish call.  Fowler is the sort of player Sven wouldn't pick.  He stuggles with fitness at the best of times and Sven is the type of manager who would look towards the future, rather than the past.  I'd love to see Robbie score 30 goals from now til May, but in reality he's going to stuggle to get into double figures.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:45 am

Bamaga man wrote:Who do you work for Ivor ?

I'm not getting into that, but just so you don't all get a bit worried, it's not one of Murdoch's, and it's not a red top. And it's not the Mail either. Would hate to think someone thought I worked for that crock of sh*t.

Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not a sports reporter. I'm more of a behind-the-scenes spod. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:50 am

7_Kewell wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:i wouldn't say it's a foolish call.  Fowler is the sort of player Sven wouldn't pick.  He stuggles with fitness at the best of times and Sven is the type of manager who would look towards the future, rather than the past.  I'd love to see Robbie score 30 goals from now til May, but in reality he's going to stuggle to get into double figures.

Heskey won't make it to Germany, and Johnson's not doing as well this season as last, which for my money leaves Bent, Vassell and Ashton as the current second tier striking options outside the obvious four.

Don't get me wrong - it'll take a sustained run of fitness and goals to get Robbie back there, but I just don't think that all his time on the sidelines has left him behind in the pecking order quite as much as it should have done.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:56 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:i wouldn't say it's a foolish call.  Fowler is the sort of player Sven wouldn't pick.  He stuggles with fitness at the best of times and Sven is the type of manager who would look towards the future, rather than the past.  I'd love to see Robbie score 30 goals from now til May, but in reality he's going to stuggle to get into double figures.

Heskey won't make it to Germany, and Johnson's not doing as well this season as last, which for my money leaves Bent, Vassell and Ashton as the current second tier striking options outside the obvious four.

Don't get me wrong - it'll take a sustained run of fitness and goals to get Robbie back there, but I just don't think that all his time on the sidelines has left him behind in the pecking order quite as much as it should have done.

well, i think Heskey's England career is all but dead.  Thing is, Fowler has only scored 28 goals in 90 games at city....even IF he did get say another 10 this season....it still wouldn't be enough.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 am

Exactly, nearly one every three and we're saying its a joke. Also the fact he's playing in a team that doesn't suit him, doesn't create enough chances and he doesn't start in every week...

All of a sudden 28 in 90 doesn't sound so bad now does it.
115-1073096938

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:01 am

stu_the_red wrote:Exactly, nearly one every three and we're saying its a joke. Also the fact he's playing in a team that doesn't suit him, doesn't create enough chances and he doesn't start in every week...

it does when you consider that Cole has scored 8 in 14 for city.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:05 am

7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Exactly, nearly one every three and we're saying its a joke. Also the fact he's playing in a team that doesn't suit him, doesn't create enough chances and he doesn't start in every week...

it does when you consider that Cole has scored 8 in 14 for city.

As with every point i make you've missed it.

City play to Cole's strengths, Cole starts most matches. Cole hasn't had injury problems as yet and hasn't played the same number of games.

Fowler has a 1 in 3 ratio at a team where he makes ALOT of sub appearances, isn't allowed to get into a rhythm and simply doesn't play to his strengths.

Fowler, as good as he is, needs to be played to his strengths to get the best out of him. Jamie Carragher, your "world class" centre back is nothing more than a good player with unreal determination and heart playing in a system that suits him perfectly next to players who compliment him perfectly.

If Fowler was in the same situation, he'd still be recognised as one of the best around. The fact is, at this moment he is still one of the best strikers in the country.
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:06 am

Spod :D  would you say Sven's influenced by the media into naming and picking his squad. I mean, if Fowler did score a few goals from now until the end of season, and the tabloids read BRING BACK FOWLER do you think Sven would pick him ?
If so you could get one of your colleagues to print this and get him a world cup place :D
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion