Farewell to david moores and thank you - For everything

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:48 pm

:(

Moores looks to a memorable farewell Mar 6 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

WHEN The Kop draws its breath to deliver a stirring rendition of ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ tonight, there will be a lump in the throat of the Liverpool chairman.

Not just because of the magnitude of another momentous Champions League occasion.

After 16 years and eight major trophies, the David Moores era is drawing to an emotional, but hopefully triumphant end.

The next time he hears the anthem, he’ll be the club’s Life President.

It was during last night’s traditional UEFA pre-match gathering with Barcelona’s directors, that Moores became increasingly conscious he was dining in the boardroom as chairman for the last time.

It seems apt the competition which undoubtedly provided Moores with his proudest moment in the hot seat, in Istanbul in 2005, should now host his swansong.

Moores was determined not to allow his farewell game to pass without thanking the supporters, current and ex-players, managers, chief executives and Liverpool staff across all departments who’ve contributed to his reign.

“The last 16 years have been an honour and a privilege for me,” said Moores.

“There have been difficult times, particularly over the last three years, but the thing which kept me going was the backing of the grass-roots supporters.

“Since the announcement about the takeover, my wife and I have received so many letters of support. Many of them reduced us to tears and I can’t thank people enough.

“I just want to take this opportunity to thank the supporters, the majority of whom have given me fantastic support over the last 16 years.

“If it is to be my final match as chairman, as I expect because the deal should have gone through by March 12, let’s hope I can go out with a bang, with the team giving us another memorable performance.

“As Steven Gerrard said in the ECHO last night, the tie’s not over yet. I know the fans will be fantastic and it would be absolutely marvellous to see the team get a great result.

“I told the Barcelona president Joan Laporta last night that I couldn’t have picked a better game with which to bow out. It doesn’t get any bigger than Liverpool versus Barcelona at Anfield. Maybe it was meant to be this way.

“If we get through tonight, it will be one of the best nights we’ve ever had here, just as memorable as when we beat Chelsea. For me, it would be even more memorable under the circumstances.

“Every manager, player, chief executive or member of staff I’ve worked with at both Anfield and Melwood has been like a member of a second family to me.

“The ex-players have also been supportive. Kenny Dalglish and Tommy Smith, who were heroes of mine as players, have been unbelievable in their support of me over the years.

“Throughout my reign I’ve always said what you see is what you get with me. I love this club.

“One or two people came up to me last week and said they thought I was a Liverpool legend. I told them ‘don’t be daft’. I’m just a fan like everyone else. That’s the way I’ve always felt about the club and I would never change that.”

Three FA Cups, three league cups, a UEFA Cup and a Champions League win ensured Moores averaged a major honour once every two seasons during his reign, which would be enough to earn most Premiership chairman a life peerage, never mind club presidency.

His lament, of course, is the absence of what he’s consistently referred to as ‘number 19’.

“The only regret is that we never won the Premiership under my chairmanship, but with the new owners I’m sure the club can win number 19 soon,” he said.

“I’m proud to be leaving behind a great manager in Rafa, and hopefully everything will now go ahead with the new stadium,” he added.

“The best meeting I ever had was when Rick and I invited Rafa to my house in Marbella to discuss him becoming manager.

“There can’t be many managers in the world better than him, and with the money of the new owners behind him it promises to be an exciting time.

“I’m relieved all that’s been resolved, but I’m also sad to be stepping down. I’m grateful the new owners want me to stay on the board as Life President, and I’ll still be travelling to the games with the team.

“But if I ever feel I’m in the way or not needed, I won’t hesitate if they ask me to stay away.

“I made the decision for the good of the club, not myself. Liverpool Football Club must remain strong long after I or anyone else here has gone. You have to think about the next 50 years. That’s why I took the decision. You can’t hold the club back.

“In football nowadays, it’s not enough to be rich. You need to be super-rich to own a club as big as Liverpool. It’s their club now, but I feel I’m leaving it in safe hands. I know I got the best possible deal.”

And Moores joked: “If I don’t still travel to European games with the team, I’ve already had a couple of alternative offers. Phil Carragher has told me I’m welcome to travel with him and his mates any time I like.” :D

Matchday duties as chairman will end shortly after the final whistle tonight, but Moores is proud to say there will be one, last, hugely significant gesture. That will come on April 15.

“One of the proudest things which happened to me as chairman occurred only recently,” he explained.

“That was when the Hillsborough Family Support Group invited Kenny Dalglish and me to read at their service. I will consider this a great honour.”
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Top Top man , ynwa mr moores.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sarge » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Hail the chief!
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:11 pm

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby Woollyback » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:57 pm

a true gentleman, david moores we salute you :bowdown
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Great man who brought great times and lets hope he got us a great deal!!

We solute you!   :bowdown
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:25 pm

The best Chairman of any club in the World in recent times.

A gentleman, and a bigger fan than most on the kop.

Top, top chap, and I hope he remains welcome behind the scenes for the rest of his life.

Good luck in anything you choose to do, Mr Moores. Thank you for being a fantastic chairman, and thank you for being big enough to admit you could not take our great club any further.
It is your astute stewardship which has kept us at the top, despite our spending falling behind.

You, Sir, are a scholar.  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 pm

Thank you David Moores and Family for the years of dedication, financial support and great memories :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield Kop » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Thank you for everything Mr Moores. You will always be an anfield legend for fans who have known you.  :buttrock
Last edited by Anfield Kop on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" You'll Never Walk Alone "
Anfield Kop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby nifan82 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Yes a big thank u David, all the best for the future and remember...YNWA
nifan82

Postby jaytoothetee » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:14 pm

a TOP bloke, LFC legend in his own right
not only david moores, but the moores family have been massive for LFC down the years.
YNWA mr moores

One time, I saw a man looking at me, yes, with his eyes. And then, he, he picked up a tube. And he looked, in the tube, and he made the moon big, inside the tube. The moon big inside a tube! Waahaha... Aaah. Telescope.
jaytoothetee

Postby RedBlood » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:33 am

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
thankyou moorsey
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Red Tom » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:39 am

And what a night to go out on!  I wasn't there for the Chelsea or Juve games, but I was tonight and it was electric.  The team will make you proud DM!
Red Red Tom

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:49 am

Hail to the bus driv......SHUT UP!!!!!

:laugh:
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:16 am

Thank You for everything Mr.Moores.....you are a great man!!
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion