David moores - An example to chairmen everywhere

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:56 pm

I know some people have touched on this, but let's just take a step back from the excitement of today's takeover announcement and show our appreciation for - in my opinion - the best example of a chairman that you'll find in world football. More importantly, he was exactly the right kind of chairman for our club in the lean years since he took the helm.

LFC is different from other clubs. Managers will always be backed to the hilt, both in terms of the time they're given and the money they have at their disposal to try and mould the team into one capable of taking on all comers. You only need to look at Blackburn, Leeds and Newcastle in recent history to see how chairmen get greedy and desperate in such a quest, throwing money at the first team but disposing of managers if results don't happen overnight.

For all the failings of Houllier and the sheer lack of impact that many of his signings had, the money he was given to try and make things happen was actually quite astonishing. For Moores and the board to fork out at a club in flux like LFC were for the latter part of the 90s, and to allow us to still be competitive in the transfer market clearly was a major financial risk, but one backed with huge heart and huge belief that the good times would roll once more. The treble season in many ways just fed the belief that it was all within touching distance, and while it didn't happen for us under Houllier, for our chairmen to keep backing and backing said everything about the passion he has for the club. Shame that GH wasn't the right man.

Rafa has impressed me greatly with his activity in the transfer market, and it's clear that he's the kind of man that David Moores needed to have in charge of the first team following the excesses of GH's tenure. Just a shame that the money involved in the business of football has started to overtake Moores' financial clout, and although the road has been long to today's takeover announcement, he got us here with the club in a good financial state, with good strength in depth throughout the squad, with an academy system in place, well down the road to having work begin on a new stadium, and - let's face it - looking like a football club on the verge of great things once more.

Today the club loses a chairman that has done the fans proud for almost 16 years. Even his final act says stacks about the noble and proper way in which he conducts his business - we've been b*tching and moaning on the internet about how worried we all are about what DiC or Gillett and co would do to our club, while he's had them all round his house, passionately grilling them all about what he expects from a successful takeover bidder. A quiet man in the press, I'll bet my life that he's nowhere near as quiet when the big questions about what happens next at the club he's run so impeccably for so long. It's taken a very long time, but if you love something as much as David Moores loves LFC, you won't let it go until you know 100% that the people taking over are going to take care of the club.

Enjoy the life presidency Mr Moores. You deserve it.  :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Forever_Red » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:05 am

Totally agree there mate.

We can only imagine what the man's been going through voer the last few weeks. This truly is the end of an era. The success he brought LFC and the commitment he shown is incredible.

Well done Mr Moores, a fine example for the world. I'm happy that he always will be associated with Liverpool Football Club
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby Reg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:01 am

Wonderful post and richly deserved.

Shanks and Bob, players like Emlyn, Keegan, Kenny, Rushie and Souness dominate our memories of what made this club great, but in reality it wasnt only on the field or in the boot room, it was equally the achievement of the front office, the likes of John Smith, Peter Robinson and the the rock solid Moores family who plotted the course for this ship to build the structure around which the club could grow, survive the disaster of Hysel, the financially ruinous period of being out of europe then the slow but steady rebuild of team, club and stadium all the while maintaining great grace and maintaining the dream of getting back to the pinnacle of european football.

Our victory in Istanbul was Moore's trophy. Yeah the lads scored the goals but at the end of the day it was David Moores who never lost faith in what is Liverpool Football Club.

Thank you, thank you thank you.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 am

Mr David Moores:

The best Chairman in the World.

I salute you, Sir.

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:05 am

Excellent post Ivor...and i fully agree with the sentiment.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:35 pm

Well said Ivor!

I for one would like to thank Mr Moores on what must have been a difficult day for him yesterday. I'm sure in his heart he always tried to do the best by the fans and the club. In a perfect world he would of had the cash himself to bankroll Liverpool but alas that was not be.

Last week Rick Parry asked us on the front of the Echo to trust Mr Moores and whilst the proof is in the pudding I must say that I always did trust Moores. He fully deserves his lifetime presidency after years of staying out of the limelight and providing excellent service to the club I wish him and his family all the best of luck.

YNWA
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 pm

DALGLISH: MOORES DESERVES GREAT CREDIT

Jimmy Rice 07 February 2007

Kenny Dalglish has paid tribute to David Moores by insisting he has done what is best for the club. 
The Kop legend believes Moores has put Liverpool Football Club before his own interests in accepting the Hicks and Gillett takeover.

"He's going to be kept on in some capacity, and deservedly so. He's really put the football club before David Moores here," said Dalglish.

"In this day and age there's a huge amount of money needed to support a football club. David has been honest enough to say he doesn't have that kind of money; the money for a new stadium, to pay off the debts and to support a fantastic team on the pitch."

Dalglish also believes the new owners will not tamper too much with tradition.

"They've been good enough to step forward and put their hands in their pockets. It's a massive amount of money they are parting with, but I think they'll see the traditions of the club as a great selling point.

"While there's obviously going to have to be some change as the club evolves, I don't think they will mess with the traditions too much because they know the true value of Liverpool Football Club to millions of people." 

ill drink to that boss man.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:16 pm

Amen, Ivor. Amen. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby crouchaldinho » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 pm

excellent post mate.
crouchaldinho

Postby Effes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:00 pm

I wonder what the role "president" really means.

I guess it's to guide the yanks through the transitional years - but when it comes down to black/white decisions, will he be able to overule their two sons? Doubt it.

I hear George Gillet's son is now moving to Liverpool to take up his role on the board.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Spot on ivor

David moores has been a credit to this club, top man
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:50 pm

David Moores, Top Man in every sense.... Thanks for what you've done for the Club Mr M, and long may your association continue.....

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:06 pm

Well said Ivor! :)
66-1120597113

Postby dward » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks for everything David :bowdown
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Robbie Fowler 2007 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:10 am

Forget the Tributes to Mr. David Moores Please. I think Im gonna be sick.

Basically the facts are these. Rick Parry hs got no idea how to raise money, or how to run a club. Hence the reason why we hanvn't even started to build a new stadium, and Parry was certain a deal had been done with DIC, and suddenly he has sold to some yanks instead, as well as Rick getting the club into 70m Million of debt whilst trying to buy players and pay for them over 5 years. Just like a new Mondeo.

Its funny, but Parry is making the club a laughing stock.

Ok , so we have more money. Question 1. Who exactly are  we going to buy, to earn LFC the title for the first time in 17 years?

Any second rate players? or are we gonna go for world class for  change?

would be an idea.

Parry, Here is your P45. Signed Mr. Gillette.

:sleep  :sleep  :sleep
Last edited by Robbie Fowler 2007 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Fowler 2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion