Fan base dubled since cl win

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:13 pm

Now I dont have a problem with this as its good income for the club with shirt sales, memoribilia etc etc. I also dont have a problem with over seas support, but what I do have a problem with is if we dont win nothing big for another 15-20 years the majority of these new fans will be supporting who ever is doing well. What are known as gloryhunters IMO, not like us who have supportered them all our lives and been through the good and bad days and the ups and downs of the club, all that emotion you dont get by saying, Oh hang on a minute Liverpools just won the CL think Ill support them
:kungfu: You cant do that. But if this figure is right we will be loaded this year anyway  :D

Liverpool's dramatic victory over AC Milan in the Champions League final last May has more than doubled the fan base across the world according to a report by sports consultant Sport+Markt AG.
The club's fifth European title helped attract an additional 10 million new supporters across the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain giving the Reds 18 million fans. Only Real Madrid with 32 million and Barcelona with 23 million have more followers.

"The huge increase in the number of Liverpool fans showed how influential success can be in the size of support" said Sport+Markt spokesman Oliver Butler. "The size of the increase would also point to a high level of latent support which had gone underground due to a recent lack of success."

By comparison Chelsea's first league title for 50 years raised their fan base to around the 10 million mark which puts them ninth in Europe behind Bayern Munich, Arsenal and (McDonalds Buccaneers) in sixth. Milan and Juventus were fifth and fourth respectively.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:17 pm

Maybe its not that they are glory hunters its probably like they prefer to support liverpool as their team in england.

e.g. Barcelona are my favourite team in spain

Do you know what I mean?
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:20 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:Maybe its not that they are glory hunters its probably like they prefer to support liverpool as their team in england.

Do you know what I mean?

Yes but you would'nt contribute to Barca though would you? The sales of shirts and merchandise have rocketed meaning people abroad our contirbuting to our club, which is great, but my concern is if the club thinks after 2 years oh we are getting as rich as manure and Real here, then we win nothing you loose that fan base, true or not? Where as I would never ever stop supporting Liverpool even if we went down to the third div or something, but them new millions of fans would be supporting Barca, Chelsea,Manure etc etc.
Last edited by Ciggy on Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:24 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:Maybe its not that they are glory hunters its probably like they prefer to support liverpool as their team in england.

Do you know what I mean?

No I do not know what you mean.

How can you have "another" team that you support ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:29 pm

all madness. the amount of people i see in liverpool shirts now (im in north london, not that many of us ehre) has gone into overdrive. whereas ive always had my old tops from candy and crown paints et all.

its nice to have the support and when u r popular u do get more support (like me with the ladies in the pub hehe) but it does reach a certain point where it just gets silly.

As for supporting another team... i have no concept of doing that
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:30 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:The club's fifth European title helped attract an additional 10 million new supporters across the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain giving the Reds 18 million fans.

Anno , I think half of them have started logging on to this site .  :D   :D   :D
Take your point about how long will the support remain if we are not successful ,but surely we all feel we're on the verge under Rafa ,of continued success ,the question shouldn't arise . (well not yet anyway)

Onwards and upwards .  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maximus » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:34 pm

Surely this can only be a good thing right  ???

There are a lot of 'supporters' (circa. mid thirties now) outside Liverpool who started supporting LFC in the late 70's early eighties (myself included). This can only be explained primarily because of Liverpools success around that period of time, after all I only lived 5 miles from say Leyton Orient??

I suppose they/I would be classed as 'glory hunters' as well ??? And quite frankly I don't give a :censored: what people think of my motives for supporting LFC :rasp

I do not want to get involved in the whole OOTER's debate, it has been done to death on this forum before

My take on it is the more the merrier Lynds, the more the merrier  :buttrock
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:53 pm

maximus wrote:Surely this can only be a good thing right  ???

There are a lot of 'supporters' (circa. mid thirties now) outside Liverpool who started supporting LFC in the late 70's early eighties (myself included). This can only be explained primarily because of Liverpools success around that period of time, after all I only lived 5 miles from say Leyton Orient??

I suppose they/I would be classed as 'glory hunters' as well ??? And quite frankly I don't give a :censored: what people think of my motives for supporting LFC :rasp

I do not want to get involved in the whole OOTER's debate, it has been done to death on this forum before

My take on it is the more the merrier Lynds, the more the merrier  :buttrock

I have no problem with OOters Max you know that mate I also dont think your a glory hunters because you are still supporting Liverpool, but what happens if we are NOT successfull for years to these fans from abroad they wont be still supporting us then you can guarentee it. That new 10 million fan base for instance that Chelsea have got after the title in 50 years I bet 5 million of them where manure fans :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:53 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:The club's fifth European title helped attract an additional 10 million new supporters across the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain giving the Reds 18 million fans.

Anno , I think half of them have started logging on to this site .  :D   :D   :D

Onwards and upwards .  :)

:laugh: I knew you would be the one to say it woof and it did cross my mind also :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:00 pm

i think a lot of people are quick to assume that he/she is a glory hunter. it's true a lot of people are coming out of the shadows now with liverpool shirts but before may, we hadnt really had much to shout about since that treble year. i'm from outside liverpool and hav supported them for the past 15 years, wearing the shirt, getting whichever matches are on pay-per-view but rarely going to anfield. the reason i support liverpool is becoz wen i first got into football wen i was like 7, liverpool were winning things and playing sexy football... i didnt want to support my home team simply to :censored: off my local friends :p  is that wrong? i think people who dont support their local team get victimised.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:04 pm

Look some of you have missinterpreted my post, I have nothing against OOTERS or Oversea fans, what I do have a problem with is, will these new fans still be supporting us if we dont win anything? I will put my house on it, they wont be.
And I am not having a go at any one on here either.
OOters and overseaers also have a say on this matter not just scousers you know it is your club also.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:05 pm

Support who you like mate . It's ok to say "support your locak team " but what if it's MK Dons ? 
:wwww

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Gaffa » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:07 pm

'Fan Base Has Doubled Since Cl'....

Leaving Everton Fan Base to just 1 fan :;):
It's a moiisanite.

A wha-a-nite?

A moiisanite is a artifical diamond Lincoln, it's mickey mouse mate, spirious, not genuine, and it's worth......Feck all
Gaffa

Postby maximus » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:23 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Look some of you have missinterpreted my post, I have nothing against OOTERS or Oversea fans, what I do have a problem with is, will these new fans still be supporting us if we dont win anything? I will put my house on it, they wont be.
And I am not having a go at any one on here either.
OOters and overseaers also have a say on this matter not just scousers you know it is your club also.

You don't know that though Lynds, more we get on as fans, the more will stick in the future, law of averages. Downside though in the short term you get them all on here posting pointless topics!! :angry: Small price to pay suppose if it increases our earning potential longe term

Funnily enough I met an old school buddy a couple of weeks ago, he was supporting Ipswich when we were at school, when Ipswich were in their hey day, Bobby Robson, Arnold Muhren, eric Gates, Frans Thyssen e.t.c...............Guess what he still supports them!! Ironically enough through work he was moved to Suffolk and is now a regular season ticket holder.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby King Dogleash » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:32 pm

Who cares if they are still here in 10 years or 50 years, I will be here till I die and so will LFC no matter what happens so thats that!

worst that can happen is they all go to Man U and our revenue takes a nose dive, and i cant see them all leaving anyway, well not most of em, only the silly girls who support whatever team there current boyfriend supports.

Me and my kids are Liverpool through and through  and Im from down south, and we all own a little peice of our club! and i dont mind sharing with everyone! :buttrock
JESUS SAVES!! BUT GERRARD NETS THE REBOUND!!
King Dogleash

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion