Fan base dubled since cl win

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:41 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:Maybe its not that they are glory hunters its probably like they prefer to support liverpool as their team in england.

e.g. Barcelona are my favourite team in spain

Do you know what I mean?

No I do not know what you mean.

How can you have "another" team that you support ?

I did say e.g. (you know for example) so It doesn't necessarily mean I support another team and I don't so a bit of thought was needed :p
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:46 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Look some of you have missinterpreted my post, I have nothing against OOTERS or Oversea fans, what I do have a problem with is, will these new fans still be supporting us if we dont win anything? I will put my house on it, they wont be.
And I am not having a go at any one on here either.
OOters and overseaers also have a say on this matter not just scousers you know it is your club also.

I'm from overseas but I'm definately not a glory hunter. Been a liverpool fan through and through, started supporting when im 5 during the Roy Evans era. CIGGY, from your post, it seems like you mean that any oversea supporters must be glory hunters.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:46 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:Maybe its not that they are glory hunters its probably like they prefer to support liverpool as their team in england.

e.g. Barcelona are my favourite team in spain

Do you know what I mean?

Yes but you would'nt contribute to Barca though would you? The sales of shirts and merchandise have rocketed meaning people abroad our contirbuting to our club, which is great, but my concern is if the club thinks after 2 years oh we are getting as rich as manure and Real here, then we win nothing you loose that fan base, true or not? Where as I would never ever stop supporting Liverpool even if we went down to the third div or something, but them new millions of fans would be supporting Barca, Chelsea,Manure etc etc.

Oh I see what you mean. It just shows that some people arn't real fans. I for one am a real fan and will always stay with the reds no matter what.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:50 pm

Most of these fans are kids in areas where they do not necessarily have a big local club. After the Cl win its cool to support Liverpool and many of them will continue to support us for the rest of their lives and some will drift away.

I bet many of you who are not from the Liverpool area support the club because of the success we had in the 60's 70's and 80's.

After the CL win the sports shops sold out of Liverpool shirts virtually over night
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:50 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Look some of you have missinterpreted my post, I have nothing against OOTERS or Oversea fans, what I do have a problem with is, will these new fans still be supporting us if we dont win anything? I will put my house on it, they wont be.
And I am not having a go at any one on here either.
OOters and overseaers also have a say on this matter not just scousers you know it is your club also.

I'm from overseas but I'm definately not a glory hunter. Been a liverpool fan through and through, started supporting when im 5 during the Roy Evans era. CIGGY, from your post, it seems like you mean that any oversea supporters must be glory hunters.

Oh shut up Ive already made myself clear, give your views on this situation just cause you live abroad it doesnt mean you dont have an opinion about this. How many times do I need to say NEW fans Im talking about these ones who have only started supporting Liverpool cause we won the CL.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:00 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:what I do have a problem with is, will these new fans still be supporting us if we dont win anything? I will put my house on it, they wont be.

Does it really matter??

They can buy as many shirts as they want on the back of last season's success and if they're not supporting us in 10 years time then who cares??  They've already given money to the club for a couple of years which is better than not at all.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:05 pm

i couldn't care less if new fans come in and out!
as long as the TRUE fans stay TRUE, there's no problem.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:07 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:, will these new fans still be supporting us if we dont win anything? I will put my house on it, they wont be.

How much is a Caravan in Rhyl worth these days Cig . ?    :D    :D   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red @ Heart » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:08 pm

i for one am no glory hunter, let me tell you how i got supporting the best team around,

when i was in school about nine or ten years old i remember a group of manure fans going around the playground bullying kids into supporting the mancs anyway this went on for a few days, and in between i remember watching a match liverpool and everton i cant recall whether it was a cup or league match and tell you the truth i cant remember who won although im sure ian rush broke the defence and scored, any back in school and the kids were still bullying the other kids into supporting manure and then they came to me they said which team do you support and i said no one then they said to support manchester united, i said no then they bagan to repeat this on many occasions then i decided to say no i support liverpool, i got some stick over it,

but from that day onwards i have supported liverpool and that was in 1986/87.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:08 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:, will these new fans still be supporting us if we dont win anything? I will put my house on it, they wont be.

How much is a Caravan in Rhyl worth these days Cig . ?    :D    :D   :D

:laugh:  :laugh: Ya cheeky b@stard :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:09 pm

if you take into account asian fans...liverpool is the 2nd most popular club in the world after the scums....Hope parry uses this to LFC advantage in finance.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:28 pm

I would never stop supporting liverpool.  I am loyal and stubborn and no number of manure fans can talk me into supporting the scum.  Even if the club performs badly, I will still support the team and be with the team for the turnaround.  I know plenty of glory hunters and they are all disliked.  Glory hunting is pointless.  It's your heart that you should follow, not the eyes that see other teams winning.  10 years from now, whether liverpool finishes 1st or 20th, I will still support the team and I hope all liverpool fans will and not glory hunt like chelsea or manure fans.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:42 pm

They won't do as well this season, and our fan base will be cut in half. They can all go ride some other clubs coat tails for poor reasons. Don't get me wrong, I like that the club is getting more support, but "supporters" don't claim not liking liverpool when they lose which is the mentality of most glory hunters, living in Canada I have to deal with 98% glory hunters, the rest, simply don't like football
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:59 pm

I know what you are going through Cisse. I said it on another thread earlier. I used to go and watch Watford with my Uncle back when the were in what is now League 1, but as soon as they got into the EPL, I could no longer go because everyone in Watford put down their Man Ure shirts and put on a Watford one. I couldn't even get in to see Liverpool. But when they got relegated, everyone left again, money dried up, they got involved with players who wanted more money and it screwed the club because the revenue just dried up. But thankfully, we're bigger than that.

But I could be accused of the same thing. I love watching the NBA. Basketball is an excellent sport to get into and is very similar to football in terms of the personalities, the skills, the flowing nature of the game and more. But because I'm English, I have no real alligence to a team and I support who looks good, whoever shows the drive, skills, passion and flair to go all the way. I'm not a glory hunter as I make my choices early on in a season, but I have been accused by some of my yankee friends. I've got tops for the sonics, the sixers, the lakers, the bulls, the knicks, the suns and a few more so I am guilty. But I would never pressume to lecture the fans of those teams and I would always show those fans the respect they deserve, but I guess that's how it works.

The best thing that comes out of the situation is the money. The extra cash should help us to become successful and build the ladder we need to take us to the top in other competitions. I can't remember what point I was trying to make, but I hope I made it. I think I'm trying to say that if you love football, but aren't emotionally attached, it's only natural that you would want to see the best talent available. That's why Real do so well around the world. It's not because of big names like Zidane, Raul, Beckham and Ronaldo, it's because those names belong to excellent players who excite the crowd, whether the crowd supports them or not. If the world is coming to watch our team because we are exciting, I can only see that as a complement. But then again, I don't live in Liverpool, so you may discredit this statement if you so wish.
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:59 pm

some are die hard fans, some are newly converted while some are just glory hunters. as a passionate red, who cares as long as they support lfc. we become one of the best supported and well known club in the world because of our success as opposed to our blueshite neighbour.

so as a red, just sit back and let the good time roll......
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion