Expectations - Is it any wonder?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 pm

Call it arrogance...call it naivety...hell, you can even call it nostalgic rambling if you like.  But sooner or later you find your self starting to concur with the voices of Apathy, the loudest bell that has tolled for almost 18 years...... one thats steadily announcing the passage of time with each sombre metre it beats out towards a state of mediocrity that the club has rarely had the misfortune of any meaningful company with for almost 40 years now. You begin to sense their alarm, even though you fail to understand or share in the sentiments of it. You may, find some common ground upon which to stand arms to arms, potentially through the 'Fear' of it transpiring....for some that is cause enough to form alliance. In short, you might well empathise while completely distancing yourself from actually sympathising with them.  Others, will Rally the troops on regardless - enjoying the jolly 'BonHomie' with their fellow kin as though life revolved around such trivia as Health, Happiness, the welfare of the Kids and a reduced Mortgage... It is after all only a game remember Mr Shankly, right?

An example of which is the kind of 'expectation' and ambition a Tottenham or a Newcastle supporter might revel in, for instance. In other words...those of blind hope and a clear and unstinting belief that your club is destined for the big time at last! (no disrespect intended). Despite the relative resources involved, this shouldn't even be open for consideration at this club. Purely, through the pedigree it exists by....you have to keep telling yourself that, however misguided it may sound. The facts of the matter, at least stand favourably in the court of the optimist...for some sepia tinted period of time, still yet to come.

Of course, all things come to a conclusion. Most of the known universe will translate its matter between states of chaos and order on a continuously never ending cycle...it simply has to. Football i propose to be no different...in the nitty gritty of its purpose. And likewise, cyclic changes will occur within the fortunes (unscientifically grounded) of the major powers that are the top clubs of the world. There is no constant in the game, other than the doctrines it displays from a regulatory position. That and an unconditional love for it. Though even those factors are not entirely left in an entropic state. Depending upon the whim of the presiding authorities. And their intentions for football's progression beyond the unfathomable, bizarrely considered lengths they seem to strive towards ruining it with at times.

But for so many sides harbouring the good intent of its minions, Reality inevitably will prevail. The promise turns to dust, the sun sets on yet another pipe dream. And the vast majority of these teams (and pretty much everybody else) worthy of a place in the League table offering a seat at European football's secondary tier as its incentive, and no more crumb than that, will find that rings true season after season... They appear content (at least accustomed) to accept that as their lot.

Liverpool FC cannot be placed into the same category. Neither Historically, post- Shankly especially,  Nor can it ever be satisfied with that kind of footballing existence based tangibly upon the resounding alacrity with which its very Heart and Soul finds its own measure to mark its achievements by...through the living, breathing...and dying wishes, its forbears and its fallen, have long since both clung defiantly on to. Not to make mention the inspirational, tub thumping qualities in the lyrics of its Anthem.

The word (and it is a strong choice) 'expectation' is derived from there being a whole other perspective on the matter, transcending the requirements of Football alone by which the very term LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB stands next to and almost completely aligned with the fact that, we, as its supporters have over the decades been spoilt rotten to bear witness to those heady times. Many, lost the breath in their bodies for the cause...That the distinction should lie in the metaphorical as opposed to the literal sense of the word, should be plain as day enough...and however devoid of sustenance you appear content to survive upon. You will never thrive on such meagre rations until you have tasted victory so many, many times before...perhaps therein lies the inherent discrepancy of meaning, that the word suggests. Who though can lay blame to a man for that luxury in hindsight?

Heartbreakingly, albeit accurately succinct the phrase..."First place is for winners...second is nowhere"  Even third place at that, if you really wish to split hairs. But that is the sole crumb of comfort this club has to digest over the coming months in terms of the Domestic challenge. Perhaps a few of the players currently employed at this Football club would do well to burn into their skulls yet another one of these tired, oft used soundbites that get wheeled out in times of adversity or when demand outstrips supply, no more as starkly in evidence than of the preceding 18 years...i'll leave the last word as another fast fading old cliche: take it away Mr Shankly;

"'This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against.'

Never forget. Never fear. Never walk alone.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 15, 2007 12:07 am

:nod  Almost speechless after reading that mate. Great post.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Tue May 15, 2007 5:54 am

Good insight in the values of your people, Red37, I appreciated that post much.

However, I think a warrior has to be fierce in the battlefield, not in the campaign tent after the battle, if you see what I mean. Expectations are useful in the pitch and the terraces. Expectations and belief will make you come-back from a 3-0.

But when taking decissions, as for instance, planning next season squad, expectations can be a problem, because first you have to spot what you lack, and expectations can cloud a manager's judgement. Also a supporter should keep expectations out of the analysis of what's the work of a manager. Why? because like in every aspect of life , and you and I have talked about this before :;):  expectations can lead to frustration, and frustration never helps to take good decissions neither.

In a nutshell, those values you introduce to me and everybody in this thread, are not naive nor arrogant, but are values to use in the pitch, not in a manager's brain to take decissions, nor when discussing realistically how a manager is doing in a football forum.

Great read that anyway.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:57 am

some of us already knnow those values and dont need to be taught them, whilst others who have just jumped on the bandwagon should read them and digest them.
Last edited by 112-1077774096 on Tue May 15, 2007 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 15, 2007 1:13 pm

Good read Red and deserves bumping
account deleted by request

Postby ConnO'var » Tue May 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Brilliant post red....... We need that aura of invincibility back...... and sometimes even people in the club need to hear those "tired, oft used soundbites"..... After all as the sign says... This is Anfield after all......

Excellent post, mate...
ConnO'var

Postby scouser 'til I die » Tue May 15, 2007 3:26 pm

:bump

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby inglis5 » Tue May 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Fantastic post.

I remember a conversation I had with my friend (a Tranmere fan) last year. It was the day after we had been knocked out by Benfica and I was in a foul mood. He asked me what was up and I proceeded to tell him how gutted I was. He smiled at me and said "do you know what I'd give for the success you've had over the past 40 years? You won the European Cup last year for f*cks sake, if Tranmere did that I promise you I'd be smiling for the rest of my life..."

Expectations are indeed relative (Just be thankful that you support the greatest football club in the World) :)
inglis5

Postby daxy1 » Tue May 15, 2007 3:51 pm

feckin hell red what a belter of a post nice one  :bowdown

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby Thingy » Tue May 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Great read that mate.
Thingy

Postby DazH- » Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 pm

What a post inspirational stuff! :cool:
DazH-

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion