Everton's proposal for groundshare - Chairman kenwright's idea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:26 am

I read that Kenwright, Everton's Chairman, is planning to talk to Liverpool's top brass about a proposal for a groundshare between the 2 clubs at Liverpool's proposed new stadium.

I know many of you have very strong feelings against this idea, but think about it - by sharing with Everton, we actually get to save costs on construction as it will be shared between the 2 clubs.

A new stadium, 60,000 seater will cost at least 60 million and the return on investment or payback is very slow - around 20 to 25 years easily if we were to also include maintenence and umkeep costs, unless we get an Abrahamovic who has too much money.

Stadia sharing has worked in Italy. If Everton don't come up with 50% of the costs, we will own more of the stadium and should insist on some form of rental compensation and a share of their gate receipts.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear your views, apart from the strong objections which we may have posted before on this topic.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:03 pm

Not in a million years........We are a big club and we deserve our own stadium. Everton is not even in the same class us so cannot compare with milan-inter & roma-lazio.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:52 pm

Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:05 pm

If groundsharing can make another 20k seats possible then I think we should do it.
60k is NOT big enough, Liverpool need a stadium at least reaching the 75,000 seater mark.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:15 pm

No way.  When Everton have won multiple european cups then they can think about it.  Until then no way.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Scousewil » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:36 pm

It's definately worth thinking about. I mean think of the money. I can see why some people are reluctant as am I but maybe we need to let our heads rule our hearts rather than vice versa. The most important thing here isn't about the stadium it's about making LFC the greatest team in the world by winning everything and also securing the clubs future financially. I dont think anyone can deny it makes good financial sense and we all know how important finances are in football - money doesn't soley win trophies but it certainly helps to put it lightly.
Scousewil

Postby kenco » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:59 pm

Are you really a L.F.C. supporter,anybody who knows the history of the two clubs could ever contemplate such a move.The rivalry between the two clubs is just to immense to overcome.The so called freindly atmospher between the to clubs these days is a myth,nowadays its more like pure hatred,and has been for quite a few years. The bluenose's hate us with a passion, mainly because the are so ****** and feel so inferior.They hate the idea that we feel man u are greater rivals than them,and detest us so much they try to undermine anything we have ever acheived.So how could any real supporter of Liverpool F.C.ever contemplate for one second bailing these scumbags out of the dire posistion they find themselves in.Let them rot in the first divison and hopefully even lower forever more.DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WOULD BAIL LIVERPOOL OUT NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!     :angry: :angry:
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:39 am

Kenco, it is not about bailing us out.

I think Everton is the party who needs this arrangement more than Liverpool, so perhaps the funding of the stadium will come more from Liverpool. Hoewver, in the long run, we may make more as surely as the "bigger" partner in the stadium project, Liverpool can enter into some arrangement of getting a substantial share of Everton's gate receipt.

XSD mentioned about a larger 75,000 seater stadium. Do you know that Arsenal's 38,000 stadium loses approximately 1 million pounds in gate receipts for every game to Manure's 67,000 capacity? We have to think a bit bigger and don't just dismiss the idea - we should dictate the terms and make sure Liverpool will gain more financially in the long run.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:08 am

it is also down to the economies of scale if the ground where toobig then we would waste money what we need is something that can be very easily added too over a summer instead of having to shut down a stand for a large part of the season.

start at the 70k mark and then if demand warrants bigger then do it.

If the financial model works in our favour as well as Evertons then it sould be considered as all the clubs over heads will be reduced buy having a shared ground if they do it right and actually think about how best to put the idea into reality then itcould work and i know both sides fans will not be that enthusiastic but if it means more financial security and not having to take out large loans based on future gate reciepts (like Leeds) then it is worth looking other wise if we had a bad two years (like Leeds) we could end up with a lovely new staium all of our own and have to consider doing what they are and selling it then renting it back.

That is no future.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:10 pm

It will never happen, there is far to much history to both clubs and to much rivalry between the suporters for it to happen.I take it you don't come from liverpool.if you did you'd know it's a none starter.  :p
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:48 pm

THE leader of the city council last night claimed that Liverpool and Everton are closer than ever to agreeing to share a multi-million pound football stadium.

Cllr Mike Storey said the two clubs were "warming" to the prospect, adding that he felt a shared facility "made economic sense".

In addition, he said he rated the chances of a joint stadium actually becoming a reality as now being 60-40 in favour.

However, Liverpool FC last night said they were "surprised" at his comments,, stating that talk of a shared stadium was nothing more than a "red herring".

Cllr Storey made his remarks at a conference called by developers Grosvenor to discuss their proposals for the Paradise Street shopping development.

The council leader took the opportunity to tell an audience of more than 200 developers and professionals that he was in favour of a joint stadium.

He said: "It seems ludicrous for two clubs, both based within the Anfield area, and to be within spitting distance of each other, to have separate grounds. Many people have said that a joint stadium is an impossible dream, but I disagree and we are moving closer to making it a reality.

"In fact, I would put the odds at it actually happening as 60-40."

Cllr Storey, (left), added: "I have always been in favour of the two clubs sharing facilities because it makes economic sense.

"We live in a city where members of the same family live under the same roof and can still support Liverpool or Everton. So what is wrong with those people having a shared stadium?

"Why spend millions of pounds on two grounds when a shared stadium would release more money for new players. I know there will be diehards who say never, but perhaps now is the time to start thinking the unthinkable.

"Of course, the final decision will have to rest with the boards of the two clubs, but there are warming, softening words emanating from both camps on this issue and this gives me hope for optimism."

Liverpool FC's planning application for its new ground is expected to go before the city council's planning committee for consideration within a matter of weeks. A club spokesman last night said: "We are surprised to hear these comments this afternoon. As far as we are concerned, the position has not changed. We have submitted a planning application for a new stadium based on a single club use and we have also written to the NWDA to reiterate that point."

He added that the club's proposals would bring huge regeneration to north Liverpool and that talk of a shared ground was a "red herring".

The spokesman said: "Liverpool have been working with both the city council and the local community for the past five years on a project which we always saw as the catalyst for the regeneration of the whole of north Liverpool. Talk of a shared stadium in terms of the benefits that this would bring to the whole community is nothing more than a red herring."

as many have said I hope this doesn't happen, we need our own stadium to call home.
What would we do without the Shankly gates, Paisley gates etc. It just wouldn't feel right knowing that our arch rivals are playing in the same stadium as ours.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:16 am

Mike Storey, leader of the city council, yesterday told an audience of 200 developers and professionals that not only was he in favour of a joint stadium for Everton and Liverpool but that both clubs were "warming" to the prospect and that the chances of it happening were now 60-40 in favour.

Liverpool, however, insist that their position with regards a shared stadium has not changed at all since the club submitted their planning application for a single club stadium in Stanley Park last October.

Anfield Chief Executive Rick Parry today told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Despite reports to the contrary, Liverpool's position has not changed. Several million pounds expenditure and a huge amount of hard work have got us to the point where our planning application is about to be considered. That planning application is based on single club use, a point we have consistently communicated to both the North West Development Agency and City Council.

"It's no secret there was an extensive series of talks, brokered by the NWDA, where the subject of a shared stadium was examined thoroughly. Those discussions did not produce a solution that was acceptable to Liverpool Football Club. We're also conscious the vast majority of our supporters view Anfield as their spiritual home and are strongly opposed to ground sharing. From our point of view, the time has come to draw a line under this whole subject and move on.

"Liverpool have worked closely with the local community and City Council for five years on a project which we always saw as a major catalyst for the regeneration of the whole of North Liverpool. Any comment on a ground share should not be allowed to deflect attention from the proven benefits the new stadium will bring to the whole community."

looks like Parry is against the idea and is looking out for the majority of fans.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby charwell » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:20 am

This is a tricky one. Whilst we need a new stadium I hate the thougt of sharing with the bitter blues. I also worry about there ability to generate extra revenue if costs spiral, making offers on players if they are still in Prem in 2008 backs this up! Y do Everton need 60,000 anyway? In div one they will get circa 20,000  :laugh:
charwell

Postby kenco » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:07 pm

Why would Liverpool football club want to share a stadium with a first division team.Which hopefully Everton we be next season.:) :) :)
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion