Everton proposed groundshare

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:23 am

On the BBC Sport website it says that the Everton Chief Exec they have a proposal to take to LFC to share a ground.

Here is the story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/3875759.stm

:angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:28 am

Jump on me if you like, but I am not totally against the proposals for sharing a 80K + stadium.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:33 am

I agree, you wouldn't catch Celtic and Rangers sharing so why should we, it makes sense for Evertonians cos their a broke ar5e club but we can afford a ground so they can do one!!

A stadium is your identity/home, I wouldn't share my house with another family just cos they counldn't afford somewhere else :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:40 am

No - I prefer to keep our identity separate from Everton, our ground, our kop...etc.

NEway they would struggle to fill 80K+ seats every week!

Maybe I'm being financially naive - but I don't like the idea
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:28 am

if you think on purely financial terms it makes sense because both clubs reduce there overheads as only 1 elec bil etc the only way to do it would be to build it that big that both sets of season ticket holders are able to sit in their own seats and still be able to get the other fans in as well.
as far as the revenue would go each club would benefit from the increase in attendance, This will also then increase the profitability of both clubs allowing them to get better players in etc.If they built it as two seperate halves ie red end and the blue end then there is no need to give up our kop as they would never sit in our section and vis versa.

as an idea i would be keen to see the financial benefits that our club would gain and as the Manc's where lucky the Old Trafford was in such a rundown place that planning for the increases in size where very easy and once they started and also became successfull the planners just let them increase it to what it is now.

If this proposal ends up dead in the water then i am not bothered but it also makes me think our new stadium should be built with an eye on increaseing the cappacity as easily as possable so building it with the plan of increasing each side every so often would make very good sence as look at the manc's they are rolling in money because someone with in the club had the forsite to see the benefit of constantly adding capasity.

i have no actual problem with shareing a ground with Everton as we would only ever have to see them twice a year anyway and it may be a good way of helping our own club. We must try and not let our rivalry kill something that could be good for all concerned.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:53 am

I'd love to see us packing them in at a bigger stadium for each home game, but it's Everton, for crying out loud. Can you imagine Spurs and Arsenal sharing a ground? Villa and Birmingham City? Celtic and Rangers? The point's been made that the rivalry between the clubs isn't what it once was, but the proposed move is basically akin to us bedding down with Man U.

If it was Tranmere, I'd be all for it, but from what I can see the "mutual benefits" are us saving their ******, and them eroding our club's soul. It doesn't sit right at all - they need it a hell of a lot more than we do.
ivor_the_injun

Postby simic_ie » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:03 pm

Personally I'd like to see Liverpool build the new stadium to our plans and then if Everton want in they can pay a nice little rental fee on it. I think that woud make sense as i would take away some of the repayment burdens on Liverpool while keeping the ground as Liverpool's home
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:04 pm

If they were in our boat they wouldn't want it, the only reason why they are putting the proposal forward is because they can't afford to build a new stadium of their own!
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:07 pm

by moving stadium we are loosing the clubs sole but move we must and i think that any rash decision over this would be silly cause Murdochs sky money will not be there for ever and unless we can get more income from the gate we will suffer as well as clubs like Everton. When the sky money dropps football in general will be hit we need to safe guard our clubs future and if that means sharing a ground then i would look at it.

I am Not saying do it but it must be looked at and given the opportunity for everyone to have a look and see what the actual proposal is as at the moment it is media talk as to what is in the proposal and i think should it provide LFC with a significant improvement in turn over and cutting of costs without damaging the club then t should then be discussed with the fans and be taken seriously if it is not a viable option for the club then it does not have to go that far but if it makes sense for us and will benefit us then we must look at these kind of options or would you rather some unknow Thai company or consortium be the people who will provide the financial backing cause i dont Sharing the ground is one thing sharing the club is another.

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:10 pm

So many changes are happening at the moment and I dunno about selling the shares in the club but one thing I do know is that I wouldn't be happy sharing a ground with Everton cos they couldn't fill 80k seats a week, they can just about fill 30k!
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:12 pm

I was for this before but
What about the pitch, Palace suffered with Wimbledon there
What colour will the seats be?? red or blue or neutral
Would you sit in a Dixie Dean stand
What about the museum or stadium tour and the trophy room?
They refused to pay rent in 1892 why should we trust them now  :angry:
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lurd » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:17 pm

F**ck off Everton! Thats as plain as i could put it!
lurd

Postby blind » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:23 pm

lurd wrote:F**ck off Everton! Thats as plain as i could put it!

nice to see you at your articulate best there lurd.

all i am saying is that untill we know the details nothing should be automatically ruled out yet.

if we did do it and it gave the club an extra £10 million a year to spend on players would that be a bad move.

don't just jump in with your hearts cause sometimes the head is right.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:36 pm

The bottom of the line is that Liverpool and Everton are bitter rivals and weither it makes financial sense or non the fans (especially Liverpool) do not want to share with Everton, we can survive without Everton but they need us or they can't move to a new stadium, the are just paracites in lots of debt!
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:15 pm

although the proposed groundshare makes financial sense, i can't see most fans accepting it. the bottom line is that everton are completely skint and we have no need to associate with them. they'll be in a different league to us soon anyway. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion