Everton proposed groundshare

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby long sleeved joe » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:27 pm

i understand that if the we were to ground share then we would be able to apply to the North West Development Fund for £20 M towards the project so that would bring the cost down from £84M to £64 and then assuming Eveton paid half it would mean we only pay £32M for a new 60,000 stadium (saving £52M).
So while it is asking a lot to share the offer must be taken seriously.  Personally i think if it secures us financially for the future then i dont want pride to get in the way Weve seen how quickly clubs can get financially screwed, it happened to Leeds and clubs all accross Europe- we are not imune to this just because of our history, if Benitez is a flop (which i dont think he will be) we will really have to watch the pennys.
  Having said that i dont think they will go for it because the idea has been mentioned before and Parry seemed dead against it. Also the board must be on the verge of nervous breakdowns at the moment the summer theyve had they probably cant be bothered to have any more meetings.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:36 pm

Let the blue ****** sell "fatty" if they want a new ground, we dont want them getting a free ride on our backs to hell with birch and his scheming little ideas get yourselves a team before you start shouting for a new ground...or better still rot in woodison!! :laugh:  :laugh:
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:07 pm

I'm all for a ground-share. Everton must invest equally.

long sleeved joe I like that math.

Look at Leeds now, they are a club devastated.

80,000 is too big. Anyone who was at the Portsmouth match in Anfield last season will testify to that.
A big stadium 3/4 full has no atmosphere. 60,000 with the option to increase capacity is sensible.

We all want new players. We all want the best there is. We have no external investment any more. Our money is finite. But I agree that many fans simply wont agree to it.

But it makes sense.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:23 pm

My simple answer to all this is, NO, not in a million year's....

It just doesn't make sense aside from financially, the biggest percentage of supporter's wouldn't want it. I also wouldn't want to be sitting in a neutral coloured stadium, or even worse, a half red half blue stadium...how daft would that look. I don't want this at all, how could we call it our home when it would rightfully be Everton's home too....NO, NO, NO!

Please don't rag on me for this, but why couldn't we expand Anfield to a compatable capacity, or is there some reason i don't know about? Im sorry if that's a stupid question, but i live in Belfast and wouldn't hear much about that kind of stuff.

Anyway, surely we could fill in the corner's and add some dept, or build it upward's to add tiers. I reckon we could get 55, 000 easy! I would rather stay at Anfield anyway, it's our home.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:32 pm

fivecups wrote:I'm all for a ground-share. Everton must invest equally.

long sleeved joe I like that math.

Look at Leeds now, they are a club devastated.

80,000 is too big. Anyone who was at the Portsmouth match in Anfield last season will testify to that.
A big stadium 3/4 full has no atmosphere. 60,000 with the option to increase capacity is sensible.

We all want new players. We all want the best there is. We have no external investment any more. Our money is finite. But I agree that many fans simply wont agree to it.

But it makes sense.

It makes NONSENSE!! how can the blue ****** invest equally?  they are just after a cheap ride to keep them afloat, they cant offer us anything we cant get ourselves, dont be kidded by this ****** about it being the best way for both clubs coz it aint!!..why stop there? we might as well call ourselves liverton, and combine our two teams together and while we are at it why not have just one manager just think of all the money you could save!! get real here it wont work, its not what the majority of the fans want its time this one was buried forever. :angry:
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:02 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:It makes NONSENSE!! how can the blue ****** invest equally?  they are just after a cheap ride to keep them afloat, they cant offer us anything we cant get ourselves, dont be kidded by this ****** about it being the best way for both clubs coz it aint!!..why stop there? we might as well call ourselves liverton, and combine our two teams together and while we are at it why not have just one manager just think of all the money you could save!! get real here it wont work, its not what the majority of the fans want its time this one was buried forever. :angry:

REDTILLDEAD, I imagine your feelings probably echo most LFC fans.

But firstly I'd say: if they dont/cant invest equally then don't do it. Liverpool aren't stupid, we're not going to help out a weaker team to our own detriment. Why would we do that?

It's not about the merging of the two teams. We usually only meet them twice a year otherwise they play one week we play the other. Colours of the stadium, trophies, shops can be accomodated for both teams. It works in other cities.

You say get real. Reality is that if you run a club with your heart not your head then your in massive trouble. Ridsdale did that. Look at how Arsenal are struggling to finance their stadium despite unprecedented club success. Liverpool had a poor season last year and at times were unable to fill Anfield. In todays market if you overspend you may not recover. Imagine a Liverpool with a shiny 60,000 thousand seater stadium, competing in the first division, all our star players sold to cover debts, bankrupt.

Our money must be used wisely.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:32 pm

Surely then Liverpool were finacially covered to build a new stadium before Everton decided to try and jump on the band wagon, otherwise they wouldn't have thought of it, or do you mean differently fivecups?

I don't like the idea of ground sharing at all, let alone sharing it with Everton. It would extinguish the fire of the Merseyside derby too IMO, nothing would be the same again and would be a touch friendlier between our rivals. It was probably bluenose ******'s who petitioned against our proposed move to Stanley Park anyway and i bet if there was a petition against a ground share it would come out positive!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:39 pm

I have a few questions that need answering:

1)  Three or four years ago, Everton proposed a move to the Kings Dock, and looked to have the funds secured and plans drawn up. There was no mention of sharing a ground then, but now that they are in the ****** with the liquidators in (Trevor Birch is that his name the guy from Leeds) all of a sudden it is a great idea that would benefit the city and both clubs. What has changed since then ??

2)  If Liverpool and Everton do build the ground, Liverpool already have the funding, Everton are planning to take out an extended mortgage for their share. If Everton spend the money on the ground and nothing on the team, there is a good chance they will be relegated in a few seasons, if they where (hypethetically Dom) relegated, gate money and TV money would fall, so say they then were not able to make the payments on the mortgage, where would we stand then, LFC that is in terms of the ground ??

3) Why the funk should we sponser Everton ??

4)  Why is that fat ****** evertonian ex blue nose board member on the local council spendig all his time trying to stop LFC from securing the Stanley Park site ??

Answers on a postcard .....
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:55 pm

I like what you're saying Leon. We will be carrying Everton on our back from day one if this goes through!

Could someone please let me know some info on my earlier question about enlarging Anfield please?
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:35 pm

They want to share a stadium because their skint.But would they still want to share it if it's called ANFIELD answer NO they will try to change the name before they moved in. Would you put up with that?
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby l20ngy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:43 pm

everton only had to come up with 30m for their part in the kings dock but they pulled out wasting everybody's elses time and money and this is what there trying to do to us.
l20ngy

Postby fivecups » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:43 pm

"If Liverpool and Everton do build the ground, Liverpool already have the funding, Everton are planning to take out an extended mortgage for their share. If Everton spend the money on the ground and nothing on the team, there is a good chance they will be relegated in a few seasons, if they where (hypethetically Dom) relegated, gate money and TV money would fall, so say they then were not able to make the payments on the mortgage, where would we stand then, LFC that is in terms of the ground ??"Leon.

It's a fair point that Everton aren't a stable business partner at present and that maybe this is another reason to stay away from a groundshare. Maybe we could buy the ground from them and move them back to Goodison when they go under - that would really p**s them off!

Liverpool may be 'finacially covered to build a new stadium ' but any money not used in the development of a stadium could be used elsewhere.

As for enlarging Anfield my understanding is that its a relatively old stadium and not structurally designed a for capacity increase. If you look at it when your there it's not the most modern. It doesnt look like it would easily take another tier. To structurally reinforce the stands would be a big job making it easier to build a new stadium from scratch
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmyb » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:54 pm

I think the only reason a groundshare is being mentioned is because the council know it would fly through the planning permission,On our own it,s struggling to get through,because of objections by people with an ulterior motive,Lets just put more seats in Anfield, i quite like it there. I dont want to share a ground with them
jimmyb

Postby Gareth G » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:40 pm

Thank's for clearing that up fivecup's. I would have loved to stay at Anfield though, great stadium that it is, and the great memories that it hold's.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:58 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:Let the blue ****** sell "fatty" if they want a new ground, we dont want them getting a free ride on our backs to hell with birch and his scheming little ideas get yourselves a team before you start shouting for a new ground...or better still rot in woodison!! :laugh:  :laugh:

Class Post  :D

Everyone bangs on about AC and Inter sharing the San Siro and Roma and Lazio the Olympic Stadium as though it somehow adds weight to the argument. The reality is these 4 teams are all desperate to play at their own stadium. it's part of a teams identity having its own exclusive place.

On the subject of funding then lets go for a multi complex with leisure and Hotel/conference centre should we relocate to generate more capital. The succeessful culture bid is massive for Liverpool and we need to be thinking now about how we can utilise the stadium when it's not being used for it's primary purpose.

Liverpol are in the TOP 10 richest clubs in the world. I'm personally chuffed that the Thai deal fell through and disappointed we didn't go with Morgan but it proves there are people willing to invest in LFC.

And If Everton want to generate some cash then they have to sell some of their family silver (errrr Rooney) not come cap in hand to LFC.
???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion