EMRE CAN - official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:26 am

Sgs talking ***** as always and mentioning the Spaniard. Hes gone thank f*ck, get over it.

Also damjan, I dont quite see how you cant understand that signing a player who isn't going to improve the first team is not a particularly clever move. So far we have signed two players and neither of which are in positions we are desperate for... Neither is good enough to get into our best side.... Even. If can is better than Henderson... There are far more pressing issues to be dealing with than replacing players who have had good seasons.

The right back and keeper are abysmal and we've struggled at centre half all season and need to find a quality defender from somewhere. I would still be tempted by hangeland if the price was right
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 am

I thought I was the only one who still liked Hangeland.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 am

He struggled this season but I think most of that was due to what's around him being poor. He'd be a massive improvement on skrtel as he actually knows how to defend and where to stand.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:55 am

Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:26 am wrote:Sgs talking ***** as always and mentioning the Spaniard. Hes gone thank f*ck, get over it.

Also damjan, I dont quite see how you cant understand that signing a player who isn't going to improve the first team is not a particularly clever move. So far we have signed two players and neither of which are in positions we are desperate for... Neither is good enough to get into our best side.... Even. If can is better than Henderson... There are far more pressing issues to be dealing with than replacing players who have had good seasons.

The right back and keeper are abysmal and we've struggled at centre half all season and need to find a quality defender from somewhere. I would still be tempted by hangeland if the price was right

Hangeland is available on a free, he has been released by Fulham for not signing a new contract.

On the subject of signing players that are not necessarily coming straight into the side I dont have any problem with it.
I actually agree with damjan, we need options and a better squad.
The first team came close to winning the league but the options in the squad to change games or to replace injured/suspended players was nowhere near good enough last season.
It's a start improving this area.

I do agree about us needing a few players also to come straight into the first 11 as well but hopefully that is something that we are also working on.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:22 am

If you are correct about him Ben then its an absolute no Brainer for me. Two year deal and boom the defence Has a leader who can head a ball and pass as well actually understanding the position.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:39 am

If you are correct about him Ben then its an absolute no Brainer for me. Two year deal and boom the defence Has a leader who can head a ball and pass as well actually understanding the position.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:42 am

Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:39 am wrote:If you are correct about him Ben then its an absolute no Brainer for me. Two year deal and boom the defence Has a leader who can head a ball and pass as well actually understanding the position.

We heard you the first time  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:49 am

Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:39 am wrote:If you are correct about him Ben then its an absolute no Brainer for me. Two year deal and boom the defence Has a leader who can head a ball and pass as well actually understanding the position.

From ESPN

Brede Hangeland has expressed his disappointment after his contract at Fulham was terminated by e-mail.

Hangeland had been under contract until the end of next season after penning a two-year extension in 2013, but the club announced on their official website on Tuesday that the 32-year-old had been released. He has made it clear that he had not asked to leave.

"Today I received the news that Fulham Football Club have chosen to terminate my contract with immediate effect," he said in a statement released to Nettavisen by his representative Jon Morland

"I was told of this decision via e-mail, without anyone from the club having met me beforehand to discuss my contract or my future with the club. After six-and-a-half years of hard work and loyalty, and having served the last few years as captain, I am immensely disappointed at how this was handled.

"I would like to thank the amazing Fulham fans as these last few years have been the best of my football career. It was a source of pride to wear the white shirt at Craven Cottage.

"I believe I still have much to offer as a footballer and look forward to the next chapter in my career."

Fulham, managed by Felix Magath, had already announced that a host of players, most notably Steve Sidwell and Damien Duff, would be leaving the club this summer following their relegation from the Premier League.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/st ... W8yktr7.99
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:33 am

Snap him up! Even as a stop gap. Fulham must be insane, dont think there will be a shortage of takers
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby mkingdom » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:00 pm

The signings we are making are to increase and improve our wafer thin squad. Not sure why folks assume Can is going to replace anyone.

IMO we lost the league last season due to Henderson being suspended for 3 games and we had no-one to fill that role.

All the other top 4 sides have a cast of thousands fighting for a handful of CM positions. We need to bolster that area, and have done with what looks like a quality player with plenty of time to improve too.
mkingdom

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 pm

You improve the squad by signing better first team players so the current first teamers become squad players. What is the point in spending £10,000,000 on players to sit on the bench? For example... We have one decent right back in Flanagan, the only able cover we have there is wisdom, so sign someone better than them.

Gerrard, coutinho and Henderson are our first choice midfielders. If were going to sign anyone for those places they should be good enough to displace those players!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby sgs » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:32 pm

The assumption is that current shape of the team remains and that there is no evolution. I'm not sure that is right.

Besides, Can can displace Henderson for a starting place, or be in rotation with Gerrard. He has the mentality and the technical skills to match
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Can won't be replacing anyone, especially not Gerrard or Henderson. He'll still play a good amount of games though, because we'll need his energy when the midfield can't cope with opposition's pressure and can't protect the back 4, which has often been the case this season.

I think that Can for 10 million is a good signing, I already said that a few times. But don't expect him to be the new Steven Gerrard or anything. Can was brought in to do a job in midfield when needed and that's it. He's not such an exciting signing be we needed him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:39 pm

damjan193 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:35 pm wrote:Can won't be replacing anyone, especially not Gerrard or Henderson. He'll still play a good amount of games though, because we'll need his energy when the midfield can't cope with opposition's pressure and can't protect the back 4, which has often been the case this season.

I think that Can for 10 million is a good signing, I already said that a few times. But don't expect him to be the new Steven Gerrard or anything. Can was brought in to do a job in midfield when needed and that's it. He's not such an exciting signing be we needed him.

The way I see it Can provide a better option than Allen or Lucas. Those games where we new a dynamic midfielder who can tackle. I read that Emre Can won 60 tackles for Leverkusen last season. Of players under-21 in the Bundesliga, only Johannes Geis won more (79).

Definitely has potential.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:30 am

damjan193 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:35 pm wrote:Can won't be replacing anyone, especially not Gerrard or Henderson. He'll still play a good amount of games though, because we'll need his energy when the midfield can't cope with opposition's pressure and can't protect the back 4, which has often been the case this season.

Exactly, he isn't good enough to get into the first team... so why sign him?

You keep banging on about the midfield not protecting the back four, and we aren't exactly strong at that, however, we attack very well due to our midfield and due to every one of them being able to contribute going forward. The balance of the midfield is for me as near perfect given what we're trying to achieve. The defence and goalkeeper are ***** poor, its as simple as that.  When you have Johnson and Skrtel in the same defence you're asking for trouble, throw Mignolet into that too and it becomes a real problem.

None of them are leaders and know when to drop and when to push out, none of them have the slightest clue about defending and those three alone are at fault or played a massive part in conceding the majority of goals with stupid errors and bad decisions. Had we conceded five goals less this season and been FRACTIONALLY better at the back, we'd have probably won the league. The defence is the area of concern, our midfield lets the occasional runner through, our defence gifts poor goals to opposition time and time again.

We've made two signings so far, neither of which are going to improve the standard of the first team, which means we're standing still. We've also been linked with a £17,000,000 left back? Why when our options at left back are steady? Its F*cking right back we need to improve! Not left!

If we stand still that this summer we will not finish in the champions league places next season. When players like Pedro, Fabregas and Sanchez are leaving Barcelona for affordable fee's, there is a goalkeeper playing for Stoke f*cking City who'd improve pretty much any side in the world you have to question what on earth is going on?

Begovic is a must before someone else gets him, Pedro or Sanchez would be good... we've already filled the spare midfield slot and we MUST sign a right back, centre half. If we don't we can forget winning the league again next year.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion