Coaching staff - Time to bring in new (and old?) blood

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 26, 2004 1:25 am

I'm not sure where GH's sacking will leave Damiano and Thompson, but whether they stay or not I'd say we definitely need some new faces at Melwood.

One of the few plusses from last season for me was recruiting Rushie to coach the strikers on a part time basis. It's an obvious move, but if I were the board, I'd move heaven and earth to try and convince Hansen to show his face on the training ground for the odd session or two.

The one thing that has been consistent since we last won the league is that we haven't had a regular back 4 of British players that have lived in the country through the time that Liverpool dominated the domestic scene, and to have someone with his love for the club and knowledge of the modern game from a defender's point of view would be so valuable.

Ironically, if ITV hadn't lost the rights to the Premiership, I'm sure LFC would've found it easier to snare him away from some of his media commitments to make this sort of thing happen. Now that MOTD will be back on the Beeb, it'd make it more or less impossible.

A more likely recruit could be Litmanen. It's been mentioned before that injuries are looking like bringing his playing career to a premature halt, and now that GH has gone it may be a good time to rebuild the bridges that he shamefully burnt after Jari left. Who better to bring the likes of TLT and Pongolle through than one of the most technically gifted European players of the last decade?
ivor_the_injun

Postby JBG » Wed May 26, 2004 1:32 am

It'll be down to the new manager what changes will be made to the coaching staff.

Chances are that a foreign guy will bring in his own team, particularly his own assistant and a fitness coach.

However, most foreign managers do retain a British coach with existing links to the club so as to help them settle in and relate to the existing players.

The existing guy that will most likely be kept on will probably not be Phil Thompson, although we might see Sammy Lee and Joe Corrigan retained. Its hard to know about Ian Rush.

Personally I have a feeling that the board will try to keep on either Lee or Thompson, and if these guys weren't acceptable to the new manager, perhaps a former legend like John Barnes or even Gary McAllister.

I don't think Alan Hansen will ever return to football.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:05 pm

John Barnes was a great coach but I don't think hes the guy we need in the new coaching team.  As for Litmanen, I think hes had enough of Liverpool to last his lifetime.  Steve Heighway should be promoted.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Sean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:08 pm

Sorry lads, did I really state Barnes was a great coach...hope no Celtic fans read that.  Of course I meant player.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:35 pm

I think you are clutching at straws a bit here guys.

The days of the boot room and discussing tactics over a cuppa cha are long gone.

Any new coach should have the call on who go's or stays.

Part of the problem Houllier had, despite their obvious good working relationship towards the end, was that the board made the descision that Thompson would be his No2.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:06 am

So  does that mean that if GH wanted to get rid of Thommo, he couldn't because the board had made him No2? I find that hard to believe. I think Thommo did all the sweary-stuff, the shouting, the "you've been here to long ..its time to move on (Fowler) -stuff" that was not GH's style, they complimented each other.

No-doubt any new coach needs his confidente[I] the man he can confide-in about how good or bad the situation is. Old incumbants are naturally going to be defensive, particularly about their own roles in the demise/failures!
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:00 am

It's understandable that the new manager will want his own team in place to give him the best chance of being successful. It will be good for him to have a couple of people around him as well that he can trust while he settles in to English football.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:59 am

Thompson is known for being a brilliant defensive coach and good at organising the shape of a team.

I think it would be a massive mistake to get rid of him.
115-1073096938

Postby Sean » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:09 pm

I wonder will Thommo get his old job back on Sky Sports on Saturday afternoons with Rodney and the boys.

On that subject, remember how critical he used to be of Roy Evans' team.  It just goes to show that pundits might think they have all the answers but mightn't do any better when given the opportunity.

Sean
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:16 pm

if and when benitez comes in, thommo will be axed, there's no doubt about that. i would quite like to see sammy lee stay although get rid of joe corrigan. he seems to shoot all of our keeper's confidence to pieces. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:49 pm

Erm hello.

Thompson helped us finish 2nd kid.

Evans team was a joke defensively. Since Thomo's been there thats something we've never been.
115-1073096938

Postby sinema » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:42 am

stu_the_red wrote:Thompson is known for being a brilliant defensive coach and good at organising the shape of a team.

By whom?

The reason the defence was a shambles under Roy Evans wouldn't have anything to do with the likes of Babb and Ruddock would it?
How do you explain the fact that the defence hasn't been brilliant this season?
You probably have another implausible explanation.
sinema

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:40 pm

i think corrigan the goal keeping coach should get the sack, every goal keeper weve had for the past 10 years has gone bad after a promising start, it cant be a coincidence. I wouldnt mind thompson and the others staying, although him and damiano will probably get the chop
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:08 pm

Although I like Thommo, I think its time for a complete change. Let the new manager bring in his own No 2.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:01 pm

By whom?

The reason the defence was a shambles under Roy Evans wouldn't have anything to do with the likes of Babb and Ruddock would it?
How do you explain the fact that the defence hasn't been brilliant this season?
You probably have another implausible explanation.

Every single football coach i have spoken to, some of which are employed proffessionally.

The shape of Evans 4-4-2 was poor. There was hardly any shape there to be honest and you had certain players who looked like they didn't have a clue what they were suposed to do and covering the wrong areas of the pitch. Evans tactics, or lack of in this area was clearly evident.

As for the defence, how many times did it change in the treble season once it got settled? answer... NONE!!! how many times has it changed this season?.... near enough once every two games if not more. So theres your answer. And still the defence has been decent conceeding less than a goal a game and keeping 9 clean sheets in our last 11 league games. Theres the explanation you were looking for. :)
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion