Rushie - Coaching role

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:56 pm

On Liverpool TV it goes on about Rushie potentially moving up the coaching staff. 
Great player but do you reckon he has what it takes to do a Sammy Lee type role?
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:15 pm

Personally I would like to see him in a full-time strikers coaching role, it would be like master and apprentice with all our strikers under 25.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:18 pm

mynameisred wrote:Personally I would like to see him in a full-time strikers coaching role, it would be like master and apprentice with all our strikers under 25.

100% agreed with that.  :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnBull » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:38 pm

The first thing he'd have to coach would be where to get another King Kenny.

Rushie was instinctive - How do you coach that?
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:42 pm

I agree, the only thing I can think of is Rushie improved as a team player with age especially after returning from Italy so he could get the strikers to defend from the front as he used to do and the running angles to follow.

The other thing could be working with the team telling them where strikers like to have the ball played to.

But as you say how do you teach instinct
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:46 pm

It doesnt matter, if Rushie can teach them anything it will make them better players. The guy was King, I can already see his influence on Owen. One of the things I will always remember is Rushies habit of closing defenders down and if not getting challenges in at least giving defenders no time on ball. Owen is maturing fast and whilst losing a touch of pace he is becoming soooo intelligent with his runs and hold up play.
Your right he cannot teach him instinct but these strikers share an instinct and probably only truely understand each other, if it was just based on instinct Rush couldnt teach Owen a thing but what he can do is let him have the benefit of his knowledge and experience and at the end of the day who else is a better candidate. He is a legend, I would s.hit myself meeting him let alone working alongside him every day.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:49 pm

If you shyt yourself meeting Rushie (nice lad that he is) - Thank Christ Shanks has moved on. Now THERE was a Presence!!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rse » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:34 pm

Also, Rushie is important for keeping the link with the past and the traditions of the club.  Its getting in short supply behind the scenes at LFC at the moment.

Kop CD Info
rse

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:05 pm

Rushie is my favourite Liverpool player EVER.  Kenny was also untouchable, but Rushie scored the goals, and when I was growing up watching Liverpool, you just knew if Rush scored Liverpool would win.

He was the greatest to me.
jonnymac1979

Postby fritzylfc » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:03 pm

if we are going to get the the talent of rushie dalglish hansen nichol we need to get great scouts like Geoff Twentyman,he signed some of liverpools greatest players.god rest you geoff. :) :) :)
fritzylfc

Postby mynameisred » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:32 pm

Thats a great point, what shape is the local system in afer GH's reign? His worldwide network was supposed to be extensive but in my opinion gave him bad judgements on players although he would have then seen them for himself. Not being a local (I hope I wont be discriminated against for that!!!!!) and thinking about this point I have to admit that I feel there has been lack of youngsters coming through or at least ones which you know are going to make it all the way. I know GH well documented the fact that he brought Stevie g through and turned Owen into the player he is but was this enough, did he put enough effort into developing homegrown talent as I know he recruited many so called talents worldwide but would they been of that much higher standard than the local boys. As I say Im not from Liverpool and maybe I have neglected this side of the club in recent years by calling for this or that player to join. I would be interested to hear from someone about the state of affairs in respect of this as I believe it is an important future supply chain, did GH neglect it too?. Look at Arsenal they have a production line and many of them are British.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:31 pm

I'd like to understand him when he opens his mouth.
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:42 pm

You would have had a job understanding Dalglish then (Thee Dalglish) :p  :laugh:
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:08 am

Dalgish talked sense [ thee Daglish] that is!! :p
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:42 am

What the frig's that rubbish about ?
Didn't understand a word of it.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion