Class attitude

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:24 pm

With Liverpool's Premiership opener at Middlesbrough just two days away the in-form Djibril Cisse admits to feeling like a new signing with everything to prove.

Twelve months after making his Reds debut the 14 million pound buy from Auxerre is chomping at the bit to prove himself worthy of his record breaking price tag.

A career threatening broken leg sustained at Ewood Park last October cruelly interrupted his first season at the club and denied him the chance to show what he's really capable of.

For this reason the French striker can't wait to get the new league campaign underway.

On Wednesday night he took his summer goals tally to an impressive six from eight games but as the big weekend clash at the Riverside looms the Reds' number nine is well aware that now is the time for him to deliver.

Ahead of the trip to Teeside Cisse has declared himself fully fit and raring to go.

He is determined to repay the club and the fans for standing by him during the dark days of last season and sure this will spur him on in the coming months.

"Although I am fully settled on and off the pitch now it does feel a bit like I am a new player here and that I have to prove myself once again," he told Liverpoolfc.tv in an exclusive interview at Melwood.

"I really can't wait to get going in the Premiership now. These are the games in which I will be judged. This club has invested a lot of money in me and the fans have shown a lot of faith in me. It's up to me now to show that I am worth that transfer fee and that I am a good player."

"This club has invested a lot of money in me and the fans have shown a lot of faith in me. It"s up to me now to show that I am worth that transfer fee and that I am a good player."

Despite being sidelined for much of last season Cisse has built up a cult following of fans on the Kop and he adds: "I really appreciate their support. It means a lot to me when they shout my name. I think it's important for the players to have a good relationship with the supporters and it's important for us to give them something back."

Cisse's impressive summer form suggests that he's gradually rediscovering the form that persuaded Liverpool to make him their record signing and he's happy with how pre-season has gone.

"I am really happy, I always am when I score goals," he says with a beaming smile that suggests as much. "It's been good to get off to a good start in pre-season, especially after the difficulties I had last season. The injury is in the past now, it is finished. I could be a little faster I think but apart from that I'm feeling back to my best.

"I've set myself a target of 20 goals in the Premiership this season and if I have a full season without injuries then yes I am confident I can achieve it."

Cisse is equally confident that the Reds can build on their remarkable Champions League triumph and he fully expects them to come flying out of the Premiership starting blocks.

"I think the early start will prove beneficial to us. When we kick-off in the Premiership against Middlesbrough on Saturday then one thing we no-one will be able to accuse us of is not being fit!

"It's been good for us to play extra games this summer and I think they will give us an extra boost. Maybe there will come a time when we will feel tired because of starting our pre-season so early but the mood in the camp is one of real confidence going into the new season."

Of the summer acquisitions made by Rafael Benitez, Cisse admits to being extremely excited by the arrival of close friend Momo Sissoko and describes his signing as a terrific piece of business by the club.

"I know Momo very well from my time at Auxerre," he says. "Where we were in the Academy together. He's a very good player. He's young, very combative and not scared to tackle and run. I think his style will suit the English game.

"People have spoken about him being the next Patrik Vieira and he is that type of player. His signing represents good business for Liverpool and I'm looking forward to playing alongside him in the Premiership and Champions League this season."

Another new face Cisse has been impressed with is strike partner Peter Crouch and he continues: "I enjoy having a target man to play alongside. It's good because Peter knows how to hold the ball up. He likes the ball played into his feet and I like to make runs into space, so I think we complement each other.

"It makes for a good partnership and it seemed to be going well until he got injured against Kaunas. He's also a good lad off the pitch and hopefully we can click again once he's back fit."

:bowdown
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:31 pm

He's a good guy.

He'll come good, the ability is there.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby DrTNT » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:06 pm

As Rafa would say he has the right mentality that he (and the fans) want from the players playing for LFC.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:08 pm

Get this months FourFourTwo, there's an inspiring interview with the lad. 

He's brilliant!!
jonnymac1979

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:38 am

Top bod, that Lord Frodsham! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:40 am

Talking about fire forging the strongest steel, who would have thought at the time of that terrible leg break, that its actually seems to be turning into  a huge positive for the guy.
Before that alot of people would just shaking their heads at his 14 million pricetag and most others were quite prepared to give him a season to see how he goes.
Hope he scores a bagful this season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:25 am

he'll come good and score his target 20 goals and hopefully more.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:20 am

I love Cisse, things are looks good for him this season :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:33 am

I'm so happy for him. God knows what he went through after that injury and to see him playing and enjoying it makes me really happy!

Fastly becoming my favourite LFC player!

Go Cisse!  :bowdown
Adebisi

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:51 pm

The thing is that the lads seem to be coming together in terms of team spirit and, above all, respect, admiration and trust in each other.

Everyone has the ability to do ytheir job, so the good times are gonna come rolling soon
Peter

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:52 pm

Yeah I know we're European Champions before anyone picks me up on that (as in the good times have already started) I mean that as in being the dominant force in the game over a period of time
Peter

Postby azriahmad » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:09 am

I have to admit that I had my doubts about him because he was too expensive and bought by Houllier who was rather horrible at getting transfers right, especially expensive ones.

He did not have the best of his starts early last season. Then he had that terrible leg break at Balckburn.

Top marks to him for bouncing back so fast and his present form is a testament to his sheer will and positive attitude.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:39 am

cisse will score 25 goals this season  :buttrock
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Siddy454 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:11 pm

Djibrilliant Cisse
1892 - 2005 - Liverpool F.C

18 League Titles
6 F.A Cups
7 League Cups                         
5 European Cups
3 UEFA Cups
3 European Super Cups
1 Super Cup
14 Charity Shields
Y.N.W.A
Siddy454

Postby cptrios » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:25 pm

Plus, who else in the Prem has giant angel wings tattooed on his back?
cptrios

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion