Benitez' attitude - Man-management

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby alessandromagno » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:18 pm

"(you think Shanks and Paisley didnt have to learn anything through experience...it just fell by divine right into their laps?)......think on."

Red37

You can't speak of Rafa in the same breath as those people. Sir Bob spent his whole life here and capped it all by winning 3 European Cups. In contrast to Rafa's ego, he never even wanted to take the job when Shanks resigned!
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1161385641 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Very true, but you cannot compare Bob, Bill, Joe with Rafa. To compare Rafa to the past greats is liking comparing Vanessa Feltz with Kimberly Walsh.
67-1161385641

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:24 pm

alessandromagno wrote:In contrast to Rafa's ego, he never even wanted to take the job when Shanks resigned!

WTF?  Good God, you don't half talk sh!te do you?  Yer, Rafa's got a massive ego...makes Mourinho look humble, he does.  Get a feckin' clue!  :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:23 pm

In context to what i said, and in light of the fact Bob Paisley did  decide to take up the reins...it'd be a far different conversation we'd be having here in this thread now,  should the 'former' decide the job isnt for him and because the latter did stay and go on to be one of the most decorated, if not credited managers, the like of which come about as often as blue moons. For what its worth, Shanks, Paisley et al. All had to learn the ropes from somewhere.....the point i made regarding divine right was in direct reflection of that. And when you consider to date, how spoilt we've become under Benitez (therefore expecting more of the same....then eventually having the permission to be mentioned in the same breath as the others...phew!!)  How do any of us know if Benitez ultimately goes on and eclipses the whole lot of 'em in the end!  Thats probably out of the question..i though am willing him to succeed. Not through any 'blind' optimism, but down to the fact - the club can find no alternative better suited at this time - I truly believe that he is in a very small elite group and worth the investment on their behalf.  But anyway, the only comparison intended is in the simple fact that they were/are all successful for Liverpool FC.  Both in the past and believe it or not, presently. Your own expectations of what this club supposedly should be aspiring to is the only limiting factor in all this. Get over the thought that Rafa is going to do one. If he does, it will only be for good reason. Until that day, be very thankful we have a manager who finds it within his remit to try the best he can, as proven by his achievements.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:47 pm

rafa's gone all soft on us  :D

Benitez: Gerrard unaware of potential

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez believes his skipper Steven Gerrard does not fully realise how good he can become.

But Benitez now sees a growing maturity in Gerrard that will also benefit England and the much-maligned partnership with Frank Lampard. And Benitez is aware Gerrard, now back in his favoured central midfield role, feels he is close to his best.

But not in the eyes of the Spanish boss, who said: "He can score goals, win the ball in the air, be good at set pieces, everything. When he says he is close to his best, maybe he does not know his true potential."

He added: "He is improving a lot, he is maturing and thinking about the game. That will not only help us but also the England team. He will be able to form a better partnership with Frank Lampard because he is becoming more mature and more aware of what he should be doing."

It is this understanding of his midfield role that Benitez sees as the key to Gerrard's long-term development.

Previously Benitez had doubts about the timing of Gerrard's surges from midfield and the dangers they cause to an exposed defence but now believes the 26-year-old is learning.

"I really think Steven is an amazing player, he is always thinking about what he can do, he has such quality that he is a player you cannot stop," Benitez added.

"He is always thinking now about how he can improve the team, he is capable of doing that.

"He can still improve. I say to him he needs to know his team-mates and the players he has in front of him. If we play with two wingers and two strikers, he must concentrate and be careful all the time because when he goes forward into the box, that can leave gaps behind.

"His strength is getting into the box. We saw that many times last season and this week against PSV. He must do this, he is so good at it. But he must also think about what he does. He must concentrate and be aware all the time what is going on around him."

of course its all true. But still, refreshing to learn that the gaffer does (despite thoughts to the contrary) come out and praise the players when they deserve it. (not that he has to for the media's benefit)  Im more inclined to believe however, it is Lampard that needs to drastically alter the way he slots in alongside Gerrard at international level... :glare: but there you go.........

Anyway the quite clear and obvious metaphorical throwing of an arm around the skipper in the above article, will do no harm at all. Without a shadow of a doubt though, id wager he felt compelled to do so, rather than out of necessity....He doesnt need to justify his motives to anyone except his players,  of which im certain he already does. This is for others benefit if you ask me.  Noted Rafa.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:44 pm

Mind games prove key:  Dec 1 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

THE couch in Rafa Benitez's office often gives it the appearance of a psychiatrist's rather than manager's room.

Given the mental turmoil of some members of his squad, that's quite appropriate as the Liverpool boss attempts to inject self-belief into his players.

Barely a few fixtures pass without Benitez having to find acure for depression, or offer advice to those in anguish.

Jermaine Pennant is the most high profile casualty of Wednesday night, and it comes as no surprise Benitezis rallying behind the winger and urging him to play through his crisis.

"We always need to support the players," said Benitez. "I told the wingers before the Portsmouth game they needed to try things and not to be afraid"

"After the game, I said we've made mistakes, but now you need to try again.

"Pennant and Luis are players with ability, and they need to show this in the right zones at the right moments.

"I don't want them saying they don't want the ball, because then you're playing with a man less.

"Now I need to give them confidence. I've told Pennant to be more selfish, but if he ever feels he has no confidence to try things, he won't be a player of the highest level.

"It's our job to get the players to the level they should be. I talk to the players one-on-one or in a group in all situations.

"When you're winning, you don't need to say a lot, butwhen they have problems you must always work even harder."

Managers can shield players from criticism, and stoutly defend them in the face of mounting disillusionment, but Benitez acknowledges the ultimate solution is improved performances, and those entrusted to play for Liverpool accepting their responsibility.

In an age where many club representatives can console themselves after a poor performance with the latest sports car, designer fashion or £30,000 a week salary, it's little wonder the patience of The Kop snaps quicker than it used to.

"Every player needs to understand what it means to be a professional," say Benitez. "We are all lucky that we can do what we like and earn big money to do it. Liverpool is a club with passion and history.

"At this moment we don't have the same money as others, but to be at the top we must show more.

"I was lucky in Valencia to have players like Pellegrino, Ayala and Canizares who were mentally strong and always had a competitive mentality.

"They were winners. If they made mistakes, the next day they worked even harder to improve.

"This is the attitude we want here and I see it a lot in our players.

"With players like Gerrard, Carra and Xabi, it's the same and the spine of our side is very good. We have leaders here and I see within them the desire to lift the other players and keep improving."

Equally clear is the notion it's not merely the response of the players which is pivotal, but unless there's a change in the culture of the entire club, Liverpool will continue to find themselves on the outside of the title race, enviously looking in.

"Atletico Madrid is a club similar to Liverpool," says Benitez. "It's a fantastic club, with fantastic supporters and good atmosphere.

"When everyone talks about the club they say how nice it is, about its history and good memories, but now they are always a little behind Real Madrid and Barcelona.

"If you sign players and have 75 per cent of them become a success, you've done well, but it's difficult because the others have more money and always spend more.

"Liverpool is similar. We need a little bit more. There was a big difference between ourselves and others a few years ago, and there is still a difference now, but if we keep going we can achieve things.

"If we make mistakes, we must start again, but the value of our players is much greater than before.
"We need time to build the basement and then work our way up, but we are doing all the right things. It's not impossible to challenge in the future, but it's very difficult and we know we still need to change more things. Then we will progress."

Benitez has spent much of the season appealing for a sense of perspective, and the reaction to a home draw with Portsmouth has prompted a similar call for calm.

So far as Liverpool's current position is concerned, the manager insists his side is in the midst of amore consistent spell, and avictory at Wigan tomorrow would ease the frustration of midweek.

"People say we're having a terrible season, but we are now closer to third position and must think positively about the future," he said.

"We could have beaten Portsmouth and it would have made a big difference, but you must always think about the whole situation.

"In the last ten games we have won seven, drawn two and lost one.

"Defensively we are stronger and we are more consistent, and some players are in better form.

"Of course, we need to do more to change the games and it's clear we need to do more in attack and show moregood movements and create better chances,but after the last fewgames we are closer to the top four than we were.

"Teams are coming to Anfield now and defending and waiting. At the start of the season, we were giving them two chances a game.

"We are not giving other teams opportunities to score, but we need to do more in attack."

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion