Benitez' attitude - Man-management

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:36 am

He's certainly got the wherewithall mate. He just needs the club/players FULL support. Time will tell.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby azriahmad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:54 am

red37, you hit it spot on. It is obvious that our mainstays of the team are struggling to recapture their best form. The EPL title is as good as gone and i was never really expecting us to win it this season. On the other hand, I would have expected us to put up a strong challenge for second spot.

The present situation with the inability to score, let alone win, away in the league apart from a fortunate penalty on opening day is frustrating the cr@p out of me. I'm sure so many true Liverpool fans here feel the same way. Play Stevie G wherever he himself likes, but with Stevie himself blowing hot and cold, Carra making uncharcteristic mistakes, Xabi yet to hit anywhere near his top form, Reina flapping about, Finnan being exposed in almost every away match and the strikers deprived of any decent service, we'd still struggle.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:31 am

azriahmad wrote:red37, you hit it spot on. It is obvious that our mainstays of the team are struggling to recapture their best form. The EPL title is as good as gone and i was never really expecting us to win it this season. On the other hand, I would have expected us to put up a strong challenge for second spot.

The present situation with the inability to score, let alone win, away in the league apart from a fortunate penalty on opening day is frustrating the cr@p out of me. I'm sure so many true Liverpool fans here feel the same way. Play Stevie G wherever he himself likes, but with Stevie himself blowing hot and cold, Carra making uncharcteristic mistakes, Xabi yet to hit anywhere near his top form, Reina flapping about, Finnan being exposed in almost every away match and the strikers deprived of any decent service, we'd still struggle.

We'll see mate. Dont throw the baby out with the dishwater yet, there is always hope  :)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby azriahmad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:16 am

Yes, I'd take any kind of a win against PSV but i hope we do it in style. Cheers, YNWA :)
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:13 am

Cheers for that Red37, good read!
mattylfc

Postby red37 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:54 pm

Rafa piles pressure on Gerrard

By Robin Hackett -  Created on 23 Nov 2006

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has told his captain Steven Gerrard that he is expecting him to take on more responsibility in the absence of Mohamed Sissoko and Xabi Alonso.

Gerrard, 26, had been forced to play on the right this season to accommodate Sissoko and Alonso but, with both out injured, the England international has been able to revert to his favoured role in the centre.

And he looks to be enjoying it, too, after scoring the opening goal in an impressive display during the 2-0 UEFA Champions League win over PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday night.

But his manager is not yet satisfied, telling his skipper he wants to see more.

"Now it is clear he must take more responsibility in midfield with Momo Sissoko and Xabi Alonso both out injured," said Benitez.

"He must take responsibility and say, 'I'm here, give me the ball and I will score'.

"Now we hope for all these things from our captain.

"It is clear that we will be without Xabi and Momo, two very different players to Stevie.

"Now we have Bolo Zenden in midfield, a player who can maintain his position and pass the ball and support.

"But with Stevie we have a player who can get into the box and score goals. It is something we must have from our midfielders.

"Against PSV, it was important to see Stevie score another goal - that was good for him and the team.

"He played well, but he's a very good player and knows he can play better.

"But it is important to see him with confidence, and the team was really happy to see him running forward and scoring goals."

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby kop11 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:15 pm

i belive benitez is a great manager and should be given time!! look at alex fergusen when he first came to england 'very poor'

but i was told the other day that on average rafa benitez has not stayed at one club for more than 3 years:(
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:23 pm

kop11 wrote:i belive benitez is a great manager and should be given time!! look at alex fergusen when he first came to england 'very poor'

but i was told the other day that on average rafa benitez has not stayed at one club for more than 3 years:(

Stats like that are utterly rubbish as predictors for the future.  He was basically driven out of Valencia because he was at odds with their board and the other clubs he's managed were obviously stepping stones used to build a portfolio, so that he could manage at a top club in La Liga.

So long as the board and the fans keep the faith, he'll be here for many, many years to come.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby alessandromagno » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:56 pm

How do you know Bob?
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:06 pm

alessandromagno wrote:How do you know Bob?
         He knows a lot more than you do ! :p
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Because it's the truth you twit.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:16 pm

jkop wrote:
         He knows a lot more than you do ! :p

He has a point though, you don't know what's around the corner, Rafa could step down tomorrow for all we know. I'm not saying he will, but he could leave the club for personal reasons and what not, that is why we must make the most of Rafa, he's not Bill Shankly, he doesn't have the same love for the club, so I doubt he'll be here for a total of fourteen years. Saying that and knowing my luck he'll stay here for twenty years.  :D
67-1161385641

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:31 pm

Fine.  Right.  There are no guarantees that he'll be here as long as say, Fergie or even Wenger.  My point is that the "3 years and he's off" stat makes him seem like some managing mercenary, who can't settle anywhere.  But, we all know (i.e. we can feel it in our bones) that that is not the mark of the man.  He's not a quitter and he's not a restless soul...he's a builder that invests himself deeply in whatever he's doing. 

Look, the circumstances surrounding his tenure at his earlier clubs are well documented.  He moved up through the ranks of Spanish football before achieving surprising success with a solid but unfancied club, Valencia.  And, he'd likely still be there if their Board hadn't persisted in meddling with his management.  But, he seems chuffed to bits to be managing Liverpool and I've every confidence that, unless our Board abandons the Liverpool way and begins to meddle as well, he won't be leaving this post for some time.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:53 pm

Is right, Bob. :;):

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:06 am

Bad Bob wrote:Fine.  Right.  There are no guarantees that he'll be here as long as say, Fergie or even Wenger.  My point is that the "3 years and he's off" stat makes him seem like some managing mercenary, who can't settle anywhere.  But, we all know (i.e. we can feel it in our bones) that that is not the mark of the man.  He's not a quitter and he's not a restless soul...he's a builder that invests himself deeply in whatever he's doing. 

Look, the circumstances surrounding his tenure at his earlier clubs are well documented.  He moved up through the ranks of Spanish football before achieving surprising success with a solid but unfancied club, Valencia.  And, he'd likely still be there if their Board hadn't persisted in meddling with his management.  But, he seems chuffed to bits to be managing Liverpool and I've every confidence that, unless our Board abandons the Liverpool way and begins to meddle as well, he won't be leaving this post for some time.

i get the distinct impression from one or two erstwhile - 'fans', on here (cough). that they'd have preferred Rafa to have arrived at Anfield via some other 'proving' ground first, on top of the one he instrumentally changed for the better and ultimately triumphed in at the Mestalla. That in some way he could have got all these 'mistakes' and 'errors' of judgement out of his system first, before 'slighting' the good name of LFC,- heaven forbid!  (you think Shanks and Paisley didnt have to learn anything through experience...it just fell by divine right into their laps?)......think on.

well people he is already at that 'next' level here, right now.  Your'e telling us, that you dont quite believe  him to be able?  or indeed 'ready' to take on a project of this size yet.... ???   Behave!  - who else is better suited?   Rafa Benitez (although far from being without the sanctity of critic). Is by far and away the right choice long term, as opposed to the perceived ignorant notion that he is merely worth the consideration of being a stop-gap.  You cant go purely on the recommendation of a CV in evaluating someones True  measure, ill agree.  But the facts written upon it in Black and White, (and facts they are..) go a long way to suggest you may well be on the right track to finding a manager with far more in his locker than some give him credit for...however long the doors of which stay open for business.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion