Christain purslow - Time to move on..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rush Job » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:His one desicion when it came to football matters was who to replace Rafa - and look what happened - monumental mistake .

But was that the only decision?  If I understand Rafa's "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it must be a bottle of milk" comments, he's implying that Purslow decided (or had a big hand in deciding) who to sign over the past two seasons.  Now, I know a few will have read that and said, "go 'ed Rafa, lad, tell us how they screwed you over."  A few others will have no doubt read that and thought "right, here he is passing the buck again."  But, to be honest, I'm not in either camp/posse/brigade (delete as appropriate)--I'm genuinely curious whether there's any evidence to corroborate Rafa's claim.  Did Purslow have a role in deciding who we signed over the last few transfer windows?  It's actually a huge question because a lot of my frustration with Rafa was his poor signings over the last 2 seasons, while a lot of people have slammed Roy for his signings this summer.  Maybe it was "fecking Purslow"  :angry: pulling the strings after all? ???

Whats this bottle of milk stuff about? Has it been posted up?
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:09 pm

You dont know about the 3 pints of milk Rushie? Feck me mate, you just come out?  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Couldn't take to Purslow and the influence he had over hiring and firing ..... no loss ...sometimes its best to stick to what your good at ,personal ambition can be a very dangerous thing especially when it starts undermining the clubs real football people    ...Purslow had strayed decidedly close to being our  chief scout and first team coach  ..... GOODBYE   :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jono » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 pm

[url=http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/70345,sport,football,rafa-benitez-aims-milk-rant-at-tom-hicks-george-gillett-and-liverpool
]milk[/url]
You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
jono

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm

John was Ernies son
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm

I got the Milk thing straight away ...I thought it was quite clever and unique ..... rather than trot out the usual tired old formula of stating " the grass is not always greener on the other side "  ..... intelligent man
I bet Sabre got it quickly
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 am

Bad Bob wrote:Just to put a timeframe on this, I've had a look: Purslow arrived in June of 2009 and we have had the following transfers since:

2009/2910

In                           Out
Johnson                             Alonso
Aquilani                              Arbeloa
Kyrgiakos                           Dossena
Rodriguez                           Voronin

2010/2011

In                          Out
Shelvey                            Benayoun
Jovanovic                         Riera
Cole                                 Mascherano
Wilson                              Cavalieri
Aurelio                              Nemeth
Poulsen                             
Jones                               
Meireles
Konchesky

If there's anything to what Rafa's saying, there's some significant transfers that have got Purslow's fingerprints on them.  Of course, it doesn't explain away the Robbie Keane, Dossena etc. blunders of the year before, does it? :O

Don't think we need to look past Rafa for the Alonso, Rodriguez, Benayoun and Reira moves. Getting rid of Dossena and Voronin when they didn't shape up was classic Rafa.

Letting Arbeloa go was a bit surprising, but it was Real and with Johnson coming in and the youngsters maturing I guess it is understandable.

Mascherano going wasn't a surprise.

Poulsen and Konchesky sound like Roy not Purslow's buys. Aurelio I think makes sense.

What is left is two or three good players and either youngsters, cheap players coming in or out of a club without much money, or in the case of the Cavalieri/Jones swap the influence of the homegrown rule. Doesn't sound too much like Purslow was too involved.  If he was, then bringing in Johnson, Meireles, Cole, Kyrgiakos, Shelvey, Jovanovic & Wilson doesn't look like too bad of a job to me.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:51 am

Raoul wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Just to put a timeframe on this, I've had a look: Purslow arrived in June of 2009 and we have had the following transfers since:

2009/2910

2010/2011

Poulsen                             
Jones                               
Meireles
Konchesky

If there's anything to what Rafa's saying, there's some significant transfers that have got Purslow's fingerprints on them.  Of course, it doesn't explain away the Robbie Keane, Dossena etc. blunders of the year before, does it? :O

Don't think we need to look past Rafa for the Alonso, Rodriguez, Benayoun and Reira moves. Getting rid of Dossena and Voronin when they didn't shape up was classic Rafa.

Letting Arbeloa go was a bit surprising, but it was Real and with Johnson coming in and the youngsters maturing I guess it is understandable.

Poulsen and Konchesky sound like Roy not Purslow's buys. Aurelio I think makes sense.

What is left is two or three good players and either youngsters, cheap players coming in or out of a club without much money, or in the case of the Cavalieri/Jones swap the influence of the homegrown rule. Doesn't sound too much like Purslow was too involved.  If he was, then bringing in Johnson, Meireles, Cole, Kyrgiakos, Shelvey, Jovanovic & Wilson doesn't look like too bad of a job to me.

All good points, mate.  FWIW, I don't buy the idea that Purslow did the primary dealing either.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rush Job » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Raoul wrote:

2009/2910

2010/2011

Poulsen                             
Jones                               
Meireles
Konchesky

All good points, mate.  FWIW, I don't buy the idea that Purslow did the primary dealing either.

But he was. Hodgson said in the summer Purslow is in charge of transfers.
How much input Hodgson had I dont know but thats what he said.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Roy and the scouts are the ones identifying the players they want, they then let Purslow know and he handles the transfer from there. i thinkl
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Rush Job » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:Roy and the scouts are the ones identifying the players they want, they then let Purslow know and he handles the transfer from there. i thinkl

Exactly. Thats how it should work atleast.
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roysreds » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Ok, i get it now,

"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck"

more like.

"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is Alberto Aquilani"

erm.
roysreds

Postby sixbuster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 am

roysreds wrote:.

Ok, i get it now,

"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck"

more like.

"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is Alberto Aquilani"

erm.

:D
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby sgs » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:33 pm

On further reflection Purslow's decisions on the managerial changes when all is said and done, would've set LFC back by at least 2yrs;

this season which is lost, and the one season for a new manager to learn the terrain....
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby sgs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Over the last few weeks, has been evidence that we are still paying for the mistakes in the summer by Purslow. Letting Aquilani go, Insua and then signing Joe Cole and the injury prone Aurelio...

We have a top player in Suarez but we do not have the midfield to service him; we have an up and coming defensive midfielder in Lucas but no solid partners around him and no subs for Mirelles or Gerrard, no left midfield and no left back....

Then failing to sign charlie adams....
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion