Chelsea double header - How will we play?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:08 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:
AlanHansen wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:What will raffa do? Match them man for man and play the same hence more than likely 2 dull cautious games that will probably both end no score draws?

Yes

Or will go at them for the first 10-20 minutes then sit back.

Or they will take revenge for the CL last year.   :(

Or the games will be called off due to a waterlogged pitch and faultly floodlighting.  :D

hawky, what have you been smoking today?  :D

anyway, chelsea will lose, and thats that
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:24 pm

The team that has done best against Chelsea and should have beaten them was wigan this season!
They played with a high tempo and got right at them from the whistle and chelsea didnt like it one bit!
Being too cautious and  showing them too much respect is playing into their hands! I say go for the jugular from the word go
66-1120597113

Postby Chelsea forever. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:30 pm

I agree, but you have to remember that was the first game of the season. But yes in all honesty if you go at any team you will cause them problems, and certainly if you have a go at us at a high tempo you will create problems (as will we if we go at you) - but this has its drawbacks because players will be tired and exposed towards the last 20 minutes and the defense can be easily breached.
Chelsea forever.

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:40 pm

I still maintain that the CL game will be the better of the two. Last season I think both sides were overcautious, basically due to the importance of "not conceding an away goal".

I think that Momo Sissoko will be a key player for us in both games because I expect him to take care of Lampard. If he can neutralize Lampard then we have a good chance to control the middle of the park. His physical style of play, especially his tackling, will be quite an accurate way to control Lampard. On the other hand it can be quite a gamble because Momo sometimes seems to lack timing in his tacklings which means there is the danger of him being sent off.

It will also be crucial to get hold of their wingers which undoubtedly are among the strongest in Europe. I think that Warnock should play against Robben because he also has some pace to burn and seems to be in good form. Finnan will take care of Duff whom he should know very well as a fellow Irishman. Our fullbacks will have to mark their wingers tightly because the most dangerous situations will be those when they cut in from outside running at Sami or Carra at full speed. Those situations should be prevented.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Chelsea forever. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:47 pm

I think that Momo Sissoko will be a key player for us in both games because I expect him to take care of Lampard. If he can neutralize Lampard then we have a good chance to control the middle of the park. His physical style of play, especially his tackling, will be quite an accurate way to control Lampard. On the other hand it can be quite a gamble because Momo sometimes seems to lack timing in his tacklings which means there is the danger of him being sent off.

Jose will have Essien on Sisoko and thats for sure. Both player are strong, have stamina and are battelrs. Even if Sisoko is instructed to mark Lamps, Essien will swtich roles and will stay on Sisoko - im sure of it.

It will also be crucial to get hold of their wingers which undoubtedly are among the strongest in Europe. I think that Warnock should play against Robben because he also has some pace to burn and seems to be in good form. Finnan will take care of Duff whom he should know very well as a fellow Irishman. Our fullbacks will have to mark their wingers tightly because the most dangerous situations will be those when they cut in from outside running at Sami or Carra at full speed. Those situations should be prevented.

The only problem is Robben and Duff often switch sides and that means Duff on Warnok and Robben on Finnan.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:52 pm

... and to add, i would imagine the EPL game would be the better one because its not only important but vital that both managers get 3 points in the league. Therefore, I say both teams will want a win in the EPL more than in the 1st stage of the CL
Chelsea forever.

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:54 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:The team that has done best against Chelsea and should have beaten them was wigan this season!
They played with a high tempo and got right at them from the whistle and chelsea didnt like it one bit!
Being too cautious and  showing them too much respect is playing into their hands! I say go for the jugular from the word go

Exactly right Barry.

I cant help but think about John Terry's 'trauma' from last season's CL semi at Anfield.

This is an area of us to exploit. No doubt, they were stung by the atmosphere, the crowd and the pace in which we started the game.

Think back to the league game on New Year's Day and it was the same. We went straight at them like a freight train and they struggled to cope. We only failed due to a dodgy decision and lack of finishing.

I'd approach both games in exactly the same way.

Go at them straight from the off. Give them no time on the ball whatsoever, chase, harry, nudge them, push them. A real 'bites yer legs' kind of attitude. 100% commitment and passion from players and fans.

That's how you beat Chelsea.

Think back to the CL final, the second half. We came out quicker and hungry. It reached its peak after the 2nd goal went in. As Andy Gray put it, 'even the best get nervy, even the best players get rattled'.

Milan couldnt cope with it. Neither will Chelsea IMO.

They're only human. They CAN be rattled and the seed of doubt will already be in their heads.

I'd use Sissoko in there to hustle and bustle them, Lampard certainly wont like being bullied off the ball.

It poses a mouth watering prospect, Lampard Essien and Makalele vs Gerrard, Sissoko and Alonso.

I think if we start in that manner, we'll rattle them out of their stride and be able to take advantage.

The slow, cautious sit-back style will play right into their hands and is tantamount to football suicide, against the Chavs.

If we go all out to WIN this game and play with a fast direct tempo, we can win without doubt.

They are only human, they have quality in abundance. But we have quality too and if we have the passion and desire as well, the win is there for the taking in both games.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedWolf35 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:58 pm

Chelsea Forever - I would like to apologise for being mean to you in the past as you seem a really nice guy but as your not a Liverpool fan!!!   (or are you secretly???) - wondering if you will be on here if we beat you though   :p

I would like to say sorry in advance for the insults I will hurl at you if you beat us as I know you'll be on here then   :rasp

Think the games will be really tight and one goal might be enough  -  really looking forward to see how Stevie G plays

One thing though   initial reports from France stated Essien was too lightweight for EPL     seems they were majorly wrong with this!!!
RedWolf35

Postby Snowman » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:58 pm

What if 2 managers from the same country drawn in the same group of the champions league got together and decided that a home win would put both teams in a very strong position to go through?
Snowman

Postby drummerphil » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:01 pm

The tension for both games should be great cant wait.It will be nice to score some super gos too....(sorry fell into lampard mode then) and wipe the smarmy looks off the Chelski fans in London,Europe and especially India
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:08 pm

RedWolf35 wrote:Chelsea Forever - I would like to apologise for being mean to you in the past as you seem a really nice guy but as your not a Liverpool fan!!!   (or are you secretly???) - wondering if you will be on here if we beat you though   :p

I would like to say sorry in advance for the insults I will hurl at you if you beat us as I know you'll be on here then   :rasp

Think the games will be really tight and one goal might be enough  -  really looking forward to see how Stevie G plays

One thing though   initial reports from France stated Essien was too lightweight for EPL     seems they were majorly wrong with this!!!

lol redwolf, like you mean it  :D

im also sorry for being mean  :p

btw, we will beat chelsea
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:24 pm

I just realised what EPL stands for....duh....

My question is - does anyone vaguely english use this terminology. I was always under the impression that "premier league" was enough
:D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:29 pm

Alot of people come on here from all over the world so i reckon EPL is used mainly by them.To me though its the premier league and thats it
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:32 pm

To be honest though i,m quite shocked how we get people on here from countries where Cricket is the main sport there such as Pakistan,Jamaica and India then claim they know more about our national game than we do and how we should play it.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedWolf35 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:52 pm

I never knew what EPL meant for ages

I know

Everybody
Prefers
Liverpool

:buttrock
RedWolf35

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion