Chelsea double header - How will we play?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:38 pm

As im sure you all know next week we have the pleasure of  hosting 2 games in 4 days to none other than the arrogant men of the moment that are Chelsea FC!
My mouth has been watering since the C/L draw was made at the prospect of 2 massive games so close together!
Cant say how excited and optomistic i feel about next weeks games and also somewhat intrigued!

I think its going to be facinating to see how we play in 2 identical games in 2 completely different competitions.
A lot of people say of us! Liverpool are great in europe but cr@p in the league.Surely we'll find it hard in the league game then,but we'll probably get a lucky 1-0 win in the european tie??
Or it has been said, Garcia is cr@p in the prem but a great asset in Europe! So on tuesday he'll  be man of the match and score a great goal and be hailed King Luis,then come the weekend he'll be shi.te,kep giving the ball away and generally have a bad day at the office??

I just think its going to be facinating to see if there will be some contrast if any between the 2 games.

Will the managers set the teams out different tactically on tuesday than at the weekend?? You could nearly bet your mortgage that Chelsea will play the ever predictable 4-5-1 on both occasions!(or 4-3-3 as they like to call it)
What will raffa do? Match them man for man and play the same hence more than likely 2 dull cautious games that will probably both end no score draws?

Or can he see a crack in Joses tactics?
My biggest concern if i was unlucky enough to support Chelsea would be that they are becoming a little too predictable!
If Jose does'nt start mixing it up a bit sooner rather than later teams will adapt to ways of beating they're oh so solid system!Would'nt it be sweet if Raffa has seen a way.
You can bet he's been lying awake thinking about it!
Time will tell i guess!
I just have a feeling that Raffa has been waiting for these 2 massive encounters and sees them as the real start to our season! The boys have been slowly and steadily building up form! next week is a chance for Raffa to show europe and the world what he can do!
And us fans as well!!!
66-1120597113

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:01 pm

To be honest with you Barry i dont expect us to lose either of them.Whether it be two draws or two wins (which obviously i want)i think Rafa has the know how to set the team up to compete against these now.The two games in the CL  last season i think finally exorcised any ghosts we had from defeat in the two games in the league and the CC final.
Also last season Gerrard played :censored: in the games against them because i think all the possible transfer talk and rumours linking him to them all season had an effect.
This time he will be up and at em.
Also consider Anfield our 12th man.........They wont beat us mate ....trust me
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:03 pm

Looking forward to these encounters myself, I'd love us to be the ones to end Chelsea's winning streak and beat them twice.  They'll be hard games, but I have a feeling we are about to explode as far as scoring goals is concerned, our goal drought won't last forever and I'd love it if it was against them we got it sorted.

It is still unfinished business against chelsea as far as I see it.  All their talk about them oweing us because we knocked them out of europe is bollox.  They robbed us 3 times last year and then said our win against them in the semi was controversial because of Garcia's goal.  Let's give them nothing to slabber about this time and beat them twice.  That'd shut them right up.

I think Rafa has to mix it up in these games.  He won't play the same 11 twice in a week, so there'll be changes in personnell and therefore probably tactics also.  It'll certainly be interesting.

If Benitez does decide to go 442 and have a go at them in one of the games I reckon it'll be the european one.  Having won in Betis we are in a good position and could afford to lose it even if we went for it and got hit on the break.  In the prem we are a lot of points behind them at the moment, and even though we have games in hand I don't think Benitez would risk losing that, as an even bigger points gap might have a psychological effect on our players.

Bring it on :buttrock
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:26 pm

john craig wrote: Having won in Betis we are in a good position and could afford to lose it even if we went for it and got hit on the break. 

What I'd be worried about there John is after the good start against monaco last year we still ended up needing 3 goals in 45 mins against olympiacos. I foresee 2 very cagey affairs, champs league has got 0-0 written all over it at the moment, however the crowd could quite possibly instill a more- let us say- assertive approach, in which case we could be looking at a 1-0 victory. The league  game we will win, joe cole will not come of the bench and get a jammy deflection this time. I predict 3-0, we need  to score an early goal then sit back and pick em off. There you go.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:28 pm

Cant see us winning two consecutive games against the bought team, hopefully we will get a win and a draw, if not two wins will be fine thanks :D
82-1074641017

Postby The_Rock » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:37 am

I won't complain if we get a goalless draw at home to chelsea...(promise  :D ). 

Chelsea are so quick in the counter-attack that if we take any chances...they will most likely score. So, guess rafa would play the same tactics as against the scums.

But i think we may have a chance of beating them over at their place.....  :buttrock
Last edited by The_Rock on Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:48 am

I be more then happy with scoreless draw in the CL as that result will keep us masters of our own destiny in that comp.
Naturally prefer a win in the league match though
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:23 am

I expect both games to be approached differently. I think its a fair call that Chelsea and Liverpool will finish top 2 and progress to the knock out stages. I would imagine with a big EPL game on the weekend both managers will have one eye on that clash. There is absolutely no doubt that both Rafa and Jose would want to win both games, but I believe its the EPL game that’s more important to both.

However, that doesn’t mean they will not set out a strong side on the 28th. I expect to see a 4-3-2-1 from Jose with Drogba as our target man. Duff and perhaps Joe Cole behind him and then our usual MF 3 and back 4 with Gallas in for Del horno (injured) and Carvalho as CB.

Maka-Lampard-Essien will have a tough job on hand with Alonso-Gerrard-Risse - im sure RAfa will go man for man in MF and both teams will keep it very tight. I expect a strong attack from Liverpool in the first 10 minutes and I know our boys are prepared for that. It has the potential to turn into a massive European night but the fact that we meet again on Sunday only casts a shadow over the game.

I for one will not be happy with a draw, id rather win or lose (although a draw would give both teams points). However, I can see the possibility of this ending up in a draw, possibly even a scoreless draw if the game is kept very tight.

There will be a lot more clarity on the game, tactics and lineup after this weekends fixtures as players might pickup fresh injuries, also the teams both managers put out this weekend might hint at who will play midweek.

I think we will sit back a tad more in the CL game and attack more on Sunday. Im almost convinced we will put in more on Sunday than Wednesday. But one never knows and Jose might just field 2 different sides (3 or 4 players give or take) and give both games a 120% - but I doubt it.

All the best, looking forward to the game.

Cf
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:01 am

In the prem we are a lot of points behind them at the moment, and even though we have games in hand I don't think Benitez would risk losing that

JC - That’s a very valid point and that’s what I have mentioned above. I dont think either managers would take a CL win at the risk of dropping 3 or even 2 points in the League. The League standings are the most important for the managers and early stages in the CL might not weigh up that much.

If we were to meet perhaps next month in the league then we would see an entirely different approach on Wednesday, but the very fact that there is a big game in the league after just 3 days i think both managers will have that at the back of their heads.

Last season we played you 5 times and this season its going to be 4 (if not more). 9 games between the two in the first 2 seasons - that’s a high number albeit divided between 3 competitions.

I hope both don’t go for a 4-5-1 with Crouch and Drogba as target men - it could turn boring and not to mention quite comical. But i think the fact that the 4-5-1 quickly turns into a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1 makes the ping pong more attractive.

Good luck against Brum - they have won 1 game this season, lost all their home games and are in desperate need of a home win. But the very fact that teams like City, Boro and Charlton have gone there and scored a couple means this should be a banana skin for you

Cisse to score a hatrik anyone?  :cool:
Chelsea forever.

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:45 am

I hope so :cool:

But hes a lazy coont.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:21 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:
In the prem we are a lot of points behind them at the moment, and even though we have games in hand I don't think Benitez would risk losing that

JC - That’s a very valid point and that’s what I have mentioned above. I dont think either managers would take a CL win at the risk of dropping 3 or even 2 points in the League. The League standings are the most important for the managers and early stages in the CL might not weigh up that much.

If we were to meet perhaps next month in the league then we would see an entirely different approach on Wednesday, but the very fact that there is a big game in the league after just 3 days i think both managers will have that at the back of their heads.

Last season we played you 5 times and this season its going to be 4 (if not more). 9 games between the two in the first 2 seasons - that’s a high number albeit divided between 3 competitions.

I hope both don’t go for a 4-5-1 with Crouch and Drogba as target men - it could turn boring and not to mention quite comical. But i think the fact that the 4-5-1 quickly turns into a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1 makes the ping pong more attractive.

Good luck against Brum - they have won 1 game this season, lost all their home games and are in desperate need of a home win. But the very fact that teams like City, Boro and Charlton have gone there and scored a couple means this should be a banana skin for you

Cisse to score a hatrik anyone?  :cool:

2 good posts fella!!
But do me a favour and stop calling a 4-5-1 a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1 to make your team sound more attack minded! :D
66-1120597113

Postby Chelsea forever. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 am

But do me a favour and stop calling a 4-5-1 a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1 to make your team sound more attack minded!

:)  it wasent only for my team, I think both teams switch easliy from a 4-5-1 to a 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 with Crouch up front and Garcia and Risse approacing with Gerrard Alonso and Sisoko in that midfield triangle - if you know what I mean.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:12 am

... also thats one of the advantages of using a 4-5-1. a 4-3-2-1 is highly effective and ensures your team keeps posession. it increases your passing options and creates a lot of space.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Judge » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:17 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:... also thats one of the advantages of using a 4-5-1. a 4-3-2-1 is highly effective and ensures your team keeps posession. it increases your passing options and creates a lot of space.

i expect that would be true, providing that the other team dont get wise to it and cancel that approach out.

it is true that packing the midfield does create better passing options and restricts the other team as a rule of thumb, however, you will find with quality teams, they are more than capable of dealing with those formations, and as such i would back a 4-4-2 against chelsea to do the business in the cl and league at home.

but it will be tough though
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:21 am

john craig wrote:.

If Benitez does decide to go 442 and have a go at them in one of the games I reckon it'll be the european one.  Having won in Betis we are in a good position and could afford to lose it even if we went for it and got hit on the break.

I can't agree with you on this one JC , as far as the CL is concerned we can't afford to lose ANY of our home fixtures . The win at Betis alough not totally unexpected was a bonus and shouldn't be wasted by taking a cavalier approach against Chelsea at Anfield.
I'm sure Maureen would be delighted to see us throwing people at one of the best defences in europe and then getting sucker punched by a Chelsea counter attack (a scenario you have descibed) . I'm all for positive footy but in this instance I'd be happy to see the points shared rather than risk seeing Chelsea walk away with all three as that would really put pressure on us in what could then become a battle for second place in the group .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion