What do some fans want? - Double standards

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redskye » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:33 pm

Hate Chelsea because of thier success - what f@ckin success? One league title years ago - don't bother hating them yet. Save your hatred for Big Purple Whisky Nose and what the media keeps calling "the most succesful club in England" Rafa will take us back to the top - and will do it within 3 years. We almost beat Chelsea with half a team ffs - where are all the optimists?
"By the Grace of God born Scouse"
redskye

Postby mistyred » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:59 pm

:D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:04 pm

Great post StMike, I have been aggraveted by all this recently. It seems that no matter what the club does some fans are not just satisfied and probably will not be satisfied until we win the Premier League, and maybe some then will still find something else to complain about.

I was proud when our youngsters made a first team Tottenham side look like their bitches but why complain about playing young players? Who knows if we will have another Stevie G or Michael Owen, there is no other club really thats given a lot of chances to the youngsters as much as we do now under Rafa and I think it's a good idea. Look at Downing from Boro, had he not gotten a chance to play nobody would had seen his talent.

I think some of us need to be a bit more patient even if it means waiting for another 15 years, thats what being a fan is all about. If Chelsea win this year that would mean that this is the second time they've won since their first time, 50 years ago.

We all want to see LFC bitchslap Chelsea on the pitch[well we did that but got nothing at the end] and win every game but we have a new manager and within two years I gurantee that we will win the Premiership, the FA Cup and the Champions League all in the same year.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mistyred » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:09 pm

Very good points and i remember at one time people all over the world talked about LFC's Academy on the same par with Ajax and because of Rafa maybe they will again :)
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:53 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
stmichael wrote:To be honest, I think the whole of england is one big bunch of whining little bitches who need a good solid dose of reality, and that football fans just use football as their platform.

I've no problem with Chelsea, they've just got more money than anyone else.  I'd like to know who the last team were to win the league without buying a player were - I know that since I've been watching Liverpool we've always bought the league.  It's just petty jealousy for Liverpool fans (and I've even heard Man U fans do it which makes the mind boggle) to say "well Chelsea are just going to have bought the league aren't they?" as though we're any different.

For the FA Cup thing with the kids, I guess we're worried we're running the risk of throwing away a good chance to win something this year, as none of us expect to win the league, and only the relentlessly optimistic think the Champions League is a realistic possibility.  Personally, I'm happy at the minute with whatever Rafa tries, because I'm sure he's got good reasons.  If I was in charge, I'd mix 2 or 3 young players with 8 or 9 experienced ones.

For old man Pellegrino, I think he's a good FREE (lest we forget) acquisition.  Traore seems more settled as a full-back, so apart from Whitbread, we've no tailor made cover for Sami and Jamie (assuming Henchoz is deffo on his way out).  The MTV generation might have been expecting Aimar and think anything less is a disgrace, but most people will understand the signing for what it is.

i would like to make a comparison to the NBA, Last year the detroit pistons won the NBA finals over the LA LAKERS. They are top 3 riches teams in the league, and detriot is only mid table finance wise. The thing that made the difference was team work and heart. Detroit didnt have the best players or the most expensive, like a team full of superstars like the Lakers. What the team did was worked on teamwork, and the love of the game. The heart allowed them to work as a team, because they were all focused on the same goal. This is how they won the title. They didnt spend over 200 million over 2 years to win the title. They had average to good players that worked as one unit. I believe that we can do this aswell, that we dont need Chelseas money to become top 3 in the EPL. We need is our core players working as one, and focused on a common goal.

why go so far? watched Rafa worked his magic for Valencia and kick the sh1t out of Failed Madrid and Farce-lona with shoestring budget and lots of lamps instead of sofa. It is proof that Rafa is a shrewd manager and you don't necessary need big budgets to win the league. Just a well worked unit and good team spirit. Of course some money wouldn't hurt...
Last edited by Santa on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:59 pm

i dont agree st. mike.
when we were saying to houllier stop buying potential and buy established players i dont think we quite had a 33 year old on a free in mind. we sort of meant players in their prime i.e 24 -30 and with a few seasons of consistent high quality performances behind them. for example- duff, ballack etc.
now, as i have said before, i was originally against the deal because i only wanted players who would improve the starting eleven (by being of such obvious class they would walk into it) BUT!!!! since i heard we have got him on a six month contract with a optional year i thought it is a decent bit of business. he could turn out to be great and like maldini carry on untill he`s 40.
but if he`s not we are not stuck with average players on long contracts. after houllier we have a abundance of them.
i should have known not to doubt rafa, the man isn`t soft.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby mistyred » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:45 pm

Dude you must stay logged in constant cos that is one hell of a screen name
if you ever logged off you would be in deep sh1t :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:58 pm

What we musn't forget is that the nature of the game is evolving all the time and we can't judge todays game with the same values as the game of even ten yrs ago.
There is so much more money in the game now as a result of TV and players have the whip hand from Bosman, there is an elite of clubs accross Europe who do buy their way to the top. We have to decide, if we wish to be in that elite group or in the group of clubs that operates at a secondary level and survives on home grown players and purchases of players from 'local clubs' in lower leagues.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:01 pm

What we musn't forget is that the nature of the game is evolving all the time and we can't judge todays game with the same values as the game of even ten yrs ago.
There is so much more money in the game now as a result of TV and players have the whip hand from Bosman, there is an elite of clubs accross Europe who do buy their way to the top. We have to decide, if we wish to be in that elite group or in the group of clubs that operates at a secondary level and survives on home grown players and purchases of players from 'local clubs' in lower leagues

It doesn't always work like that. Madrid can't buy their way to the top, Valencia beat them and Barcalona to the top and had Benitez stayed at Valencia, Valencia would had been number one this season as well.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:12 pm

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule, but I can't see, say Everton lasting the pace and staying with the English elite.
Barcelona are currently creaming the rest in ( albeit. Rafa less) Spain.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:26 pm

moneys not everything. when we dominated europe years ago the barcelona`s and milans etc were splashing out on the likes of maradona, kempes, platini, zico, socrates, ruminegge, paulo rossi and cruyff. these and many other stars all played for continental giants whilst we went to five european cup finals in eight seasons.
the names on that list are a lot better than the names playing for the continental sides now.
just shows you how great a manager bob paisley was.
he made teams, not individuals.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:30 pm

And in the Bob Paisley teams where 11 players who were fit to wear the red shirt and earn their wage. He never worried about opposition and how they played,he let THEM worry about the Red Machine. :;):  A lot is changing in football but its still the same game played with a ball,made complicated by so called experts :glare:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:00 am

redskye wrote:Hate Chelsea because of thier success - what f@ckin success? One league title years ago - don't bother hating them yet. Save your hatred for Big Purple Whisky Nose and what the media keeps calling "the most succesful club in England" Rafa will take us back to the top - and will do it within 3 years. We almost beat Chelsea with half a team ffs - where are all the optimists?

Nice one RedSkye, everything's not quite rosy in the garden but equally things are a lot better than some people make out  :)  A bit of optimism (born from the reality of how we are actually doing) is most welcome   :kungfu:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:37 am

i just saw this, do we need another defender in your guys opinion??

Newcastle linked with Mallorca freebie Muller
tribalfootball.com - January 8, 2005

Newcastle United are being linked with Real Mallorca defender Patrick Muller.

The Swiss international is set to negotiate a release from his contract at Mallorca this month after falling out-of-favour with coach Hector Cuper.

The former Lyon captain admitted: "I don't believe the coach trusts me. It would be best to find a solution with the club's leaders."

Its also understood Muller's wife has failed to adapt to Spanish life since their move last season.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby reddippydick » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:38 am

For me football is at a watershed, outside investment has come in which has altered the balance of power. The likes of Chelsea have made it a pure money business and so we have 2 options either accept it is blip and not sustainable or get our own sugar daddy.

I guess its all about what the fans want (assuming Moores and Parry listen which I suspect not) do we want a wining team regardless of cost or do we want the old fashioned approach of muddle through. If you accept we have a limited income and no outside backer with unlimited funds al la Ambromovich then we have to buy and sell smarter which is what all the recent posts regarding Moores and Parry was all about.

I want success but we have to match our competitors, Mancs and Chelsea, if they sustain the dosh route and we want success then I think we have to follow.

The days of trying to win something on the cheap are gone I'm afraid but then the Russian could pull the plug from Chelsea then it would be more of a level playing field.

I still think football has changed over the last 5 years (more of a business and less of a sport) and Parry and Moores are unsure how to cope with it and thats why we need changes.
reddippydick

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion