CHARLTON VS LIVERPOOL - All discussion here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:16 pm

charlton are terrible. they've just sold their most creative player to spurs, their best keeper to pompey, they're terrible at the back and they've got two bent strikers upfront. :D

should be three points for us and a clean sheet.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Houllier=LFC » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:26 pm

FrankM wrote:Gerrard is out for the next two matches apparently

Hmm why is Gerrard out for 2 games?
Houllier=LFC

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:28 pm

Houllier=LFC wrote:

he's injured according to the echo

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html

I wouldn't worry too much. I always felt Gerrard not being in the team gave Alonso much more responsibility and freedom. We shall see.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:16 pm

red_guy wrote:Cisse? gimme a break. Fowler for me.

Whats wrong with using cisse ? We are stuck with him until june. Why not play him continously for a few games ? Who knows, he might eventually start looking like the striker we all thought he would be (although it is looking less & less likely).... He does have pace to trouble defenders and this can create space for others.

Hope rafa sticks with cisse & crouch combo (with fowler in as a sub)....
Last edited by The_Rock on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:21 pm

stmichael wrote:
Houllier=LFC wrote:

he's injured according to the echo

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html

I wouldn't worry too much. I always felt Gerrard not being in the team gave Alonso much more responsibility and freedom. We shall see.

Not good news if u ask me.... I don't really like the alonso & sissoko midfield pairing at the moment. Sissoko has really gone off the boil now, and i guess this affects alonso's game.

Gerrard looked like the only player capable of scoring against chelsea...It is a blow if u ask me.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has been ruled out of Wednesday's Premiership clash against Charlton.

The Reds captain picked up a knee injury in the 2-0 defeat to champions Chelsea on Sunday, and has not recovered in time to make the trip to The Valley.

The 25-year-old is also a doubt for this weekend's game at Wigan, after precautionary scans revealed the extent of the damage.

There were fears that the blow could be even worse when Gerrard underwent the scan, but it is not expected that he will be sidelined for too long.

Gerrard's absence will force manager Rafa Benitez to consider his alternatives, with either Dietmar Hamann or Luis Garcia likely to replace him.

Jerzy Dudek is also set to start his first game since last season's UEFA Champions League final after Liverpool decided not to appeal against Jose Reina's ban, while Robbie Fowler will come into contention for his first start since re-signing last month.

this is off ssn.

Always going to be a blow losing gerrard but this is why you have to have a decent squad. hamman will come in imo with alonso inthe middle
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby mikopool » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:04 pm

.                    Carson

Kromkamp Carragher  Agger  Risse
                     Sissoko
              Alonso      Garcia
        Cisse                     Kewell
                    Fowler

I would be suprised if Fowler didn't start this match, I am hoping Rafa tries to tie Fowler and Alonso together, so whenever XA gets the ball, fowler runs to space, Kewell and Ciss attacking from the flanks with Garcia following up behind Cisse for a more distanced shooting approach. Cisse and Kewell taking opportunities with God to clean up the rebounds or blocked shots, because knowing Kewell and Cisse there will be loads. Would be nice to see Kromkamp and Agger get another match under their belts to play against "lesser" opposition, I think the fact that they drew Chelsea means they will be up for it, and unfortunately thats why I think it will be a draw. They lost to Tottenham sure, but I still think we won't be able to pull this one off.1-1 Cisse bags the only one, then bring on the bloody " Liverpool are nothing without Gerrard " comments.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:12 pm

-------------------Dudek-----------------
Finnan----Carra----Hyypia----Riise
Garcia---Alonso--Sissoko--Kewell
------------Crouch--Fowler-------------

Cisse
Morientes
Hamann
Kromkamp
Carson

I am wondering if Kromkamp may be tried out on the right side of midfield. May be an option, though, as a rightback by trade, I wonder if he has the attacking instinct that we'll need from the right flank.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kiwi-Kopite » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:39 pm

On the match on sunday they said that they would let fowler rest - He hasnt played a full match since may. I wouldnt play him from the start i dont think, cisse up front for 60 minutes then bring him on.
Kiwi-Kopite

Postby GOAT » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:32 am

hmm well this game should be one to get us back on our winning ways and start off another run hopefully. I predict 2-1
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby bakes40 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:48 am

why are you all picking garcia to play, not good enough lads, sorry. my team; dudek. carra. big sammi. riise. finnan. kewell.sissoko.alonso.cisse. crouch. fowler.
bakes40

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:59 am

bakes40 wrote:why are you all picking garcia to play, not good enough lads, sorry. my team; dudek. carra. big sammi. riise. finnan. kewell.sissoko.alonso.cisse. crouch. fowler.

Luis Garcia ain't good enough but Cisse is? :D
115-1073096938

Postby matrix » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:42 am

bakes40 wrote:why are you all picking garcia to play, not good enough lads, sorry. my team; dudek. carra. big sammi. riise. finnan. kewell.sissoko.alonso.cisse. crouch. fowler.

your line up wont be far off bakes  but i think rafa might pick garcia ahead of cisse for the right wing...with gerrard missing i think we need a natural right sided player...with our strikers situation  i would risk all and start robbie his partner would probably be crouch...my fear here is that without gerrard alonso and sissoko will have to do the buisness...and last of all if he starts ROBBIE FOWLER WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE...

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:34 am

I hope Rafa does the right thing and not play only 1 striker upfront. That may have a chance to work with Gerrard in the side.

I hope Cisse does not start, he can't hit a barn door from 2 yards!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:01 am

I'd be tempted to give Kromkamp a run at right midfield after all, he start his professional career there scoring 4 goals in 33 games in his 2nd (3rd?) season I believe.

Dudek has got to be the foundation at the back as he is undoubtedly one of the keepers on the becnh in the uK today.  I think Agger showed enough promise the other day to warrant giving big Sami another rest - he and Carra should be able to handle Bent comfortably enough.

I'd like to see Hamman get a run out as the anchor role in midfield with Xabi being given license to be creative from a slightly further forward position.

Finnan, Riise and Kewell are all given in their respective positions IMO but I'd like to see Morientes and Fowler get a start up front.  Both are intelligent and experienced and I think will pick up on each others game the quickest.

On the bench would be Carson (obviously), Sami for defensive injuries, Garcia (for flair) in place of either forward, Cisse (for speed) as cover for Kronkamp and or either forward, plus Sissoko for centre of the park cover.

Didn't deliberately leave out Crouch but I guess his exclusion does say something....

Dudek

Finnan        Carra        Agger        Riise

Hamman
Kromkamp                                  Kewell
                           Alonso

Fowler
                       Morientes
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion