My review of the charlton game - 2-1 to liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MilanBarosLFC » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:17 am

Hi everyone,

I thought that we started the game nicely, which Steven Gerrard's try coming off the post in the 7th minute. Then, we found ourselves on the back foot when Shaun Barlett headed home a Danny Murphy corner. From that particular moment, we started losing the ball too easily. Luis Garcia gave away too many free kicks.

Fernando Morientes had his shot cleared by the Charlton goalkeeper. Milan Baros was fighting the ball whenever possible. They went in at half-time lagging behind by a goal.

Rafa Benitez's men came out in the second half with great determination. Gerrard, Garcia and Riise started getting more and more balls to the strikers. At the back, Finnan , Carragher, Hyppia and the excellent Traore were proving tough to beat.

Yet again, we could see that Fernando and Milan were eager to score. There were glimpses of great understanding between them. Them came the moment when Morientes scored with a magnificent left foot shot. I was quite impressed with the bit of skill to beat the defender. Credits to Milan though for the pass.

Liverpool started to play as a different team(like against Arsenal and Olympiakos). Riise scored and gave us a great victory. Boro lost to Portsmouth and allows us to go three points clear in 5th.

Smicer came on very late into the game to get some action after being sidelined for the last 6 months. Hope that Harry Kewell and Le Tallec would be in the squad on saturday.

I hope that we'll see a great performance against Fulham once more.

Come on guys !
Beware fellow defenders, Milan is coming !
MilanBarosLFC

Postby Chrissy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:19 am

Totally Agree m8 :)
Chrissy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:18 pm

This was a hugely significant result, mainly because it reinforced our ability to now go a goal down but still win games. In the end I thoiught it was a well deserved victory, especially going on the second half performance, and a a wonderful debut goal from Moro to cheer. The usual suspects had much-improved second halfs, but we are still woefully short in key areas.

Dudek (6). Curate's egg of a performance. One fabulous stop followed by a weak parry straight into the path of Spud. Traore saved the day with a fantastic challenge. Good distribution.

Finnan (7). Best RB at the club by a mile. Would perhaps have liked more support on the right than he got, but did the defensive job well.

Hyypia (6). Defended well and a threat in their box. Owes us a goal or two.

Carragher (7). Looks very very hard to beat when Sami is next to him.

Traore (7). Got stronger as the game went on, great block tackle on Murphy and attacked more in the second half.

Biscan (5). Woeful first half and questionable challenge in the box that lead to the Bartlett goal. Was sitting next to Stevie but not actually doing much in the way of passing, tackling or running. This stymied SG's game in the first period, as he was doing everything himself. Second half sat back more, and improved as a result.

Gerrard (8). Very good second half, unlucky not to score a couple of goals, brillinat distribution to Riise.

Garcia (5). Awful, awful first half; different player in the second. I wasn't 100% sure where he was playing, as he was wandering all over the place, but he was busy and inventive in the second half and I was pleased to see him set up the second.

Riise (8) . MOTM. Constant threat and scored the winner after several great efforts. Gerrard's distribution to Riise was laser-guided and Charlton couldn't cope with his power and running.

Baros (6). Some marvellous runs that ended up going nowhere. Worked very hard but not enough goal threat and was exasperating at times. Good block for Moro's goal.

Morientes (8). El Toshack won everything in the air, showed plenty of close ball skills and scored with an exocet of a shot. Plenty more to come.

Bring on Fulham  :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:33 pm

Dudek 6  Some good saves, one horrible mistake.

Finnan 7 Solid
Hyypia 6 Dominates in the air. Bad passing and little creativity
Carra  7 Our best Central defender
Traore 7 Saved Dudek's azz

Garcia 6 Involved in both goals
Biscan 5 A very bad game from Biscan't
Gerrard 7 Good all round game. Biscan't did not help him a lot
Riise 8 Work ethic 100% Morale 100% Determinatin 100%

Baros 7 Opened up space with his runs, looked dangerous
Morientes 7 Finally a goal
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby el_stinger » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:50 pm

If we're going to give players personal ratings, can we at least be a little more subjective than this post from banana, I mean, this personal description, although brief, is not enough to make out for the reader why you have given these ratings. Don't do it if its not going to be helpful for those that didn't watch the game, y'know?
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:53 pm

In watching the highlights now they played a lot better than in recent games, just whether they can keep that form up now.
82-1074641017

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:57 pm

St Mick

Stevie G didn't pass to JAR for the goal , Garcia did!!

Did you mean in general??  sorry!!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:59 pm

stmichael wrote:Finnan (7). Best RB at the club by a mile. Would perhaps have liked more support on the right than he got, but did the defensive job well.

Yes, he is. But it would be better to see him attacking up the right because he can deliver beautiful crosses with both feet. And i'd like to see the opposite from traore because he cant pass or cross. in fact he adds very little in attack. He defended well last night tho and made one class tackle. we looked solid at the back with hyypia back and our strongest back 4 out
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:47 am

When I watch the game, just one question that struck in my head. Most of the time SG is playing in front of the four defender, as but not Biscan. Anyway let’s hope that this game it’s the turning point for Liverpool to win that 4th spot.
LiverpoolMadman

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion