CHARLIE ADAM - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Basil » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 pm

What formation did Blackpool use and where did Adam fit in ?
Basil

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Just because he is Blackpools best player doesnt equate to him being good enough for us . He was afforded a free role at Blackpool with no defensive responsibilities - you take about the manager yet the manager threatened to drop him .

Ill ask again - who does he replace in a starting 11 for us .

He doesn't need to replace anyone in the starting eleven.

He is a good player that will add squad depth and add a new dimension to our team and for 7m it's a good price
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:13 pm

stmichael wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Ill ask again - who does he replace in a starting 11 for us .

depends entirely on the opposition. i don't think we need lucas in games at home against supposed lesser opposition for example when we'll dominate possession for long spells.

it also wouldn't surprise me if mereiles left even though personally i think that would be a big mistake.

The last line is the crucial bit - Meireles will be the guy missing out and it is a big mistake - Adam is comning to the club because Meireles is leaving - so is that an improvement ? Not for me .

Yes it does depend on the opposition - but remember we have also spent 20 mil on another cm .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 pm

metalhead wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Just because he is Blackpools best player doesnt equate to him being good enough for us . He was afforded a free role at Blackpool with no defensive responsibilities - you take about the manager yet the manager threatened to drop him .

Ill ask again - who does he replace in a starting 11 for us .

He doesn't need to replace anyone in the starting eleven.

He is a good player that will add squad depth and add a new dimension to our team and for 7m it's a good price

You spend that amount of money on a 25 year old - its to play in the first 11 not sat on the bench as a back up . Its not 7 mil - its 8.6 mil plus add ons plus Konchesky going plus one or two players going on loan . So thats a lot more that 7 mil

It all smacks of Comolli who in his time at Spurs collected CM's like there were going out of fashion .
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Lack of "strength in depth" is something John Henry has already spoke about.

When the owners first arrived, if Torres got injured all we really had was Ngog.  Now we have Carroll and Suarez and I think we might add another this summer. 
When Raul and Stevie were injured, all we had was Speaing, lucas and shelvey.
When Johnno and Kelly got injured, we had to hope Flanagan was ready.

We all know we've had a very small squad for years, now hopefully we're gonna make it a lot better so we dont have to fill the bench with Poulsens and Jova's.

Good players are not cheap and cheap players are not good.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Benny - Adam had a consistent season, Meireles didn't.

Aquilani quite clearly couldnt reach his potential over here, Henderson will

I'm not saying both are better than what we have, on paper they're probably not but that's not how it works in reality.

We still have the four of them anyway, there's no indication that both are leaving so I wouldn't get chewed up about it just yet. We need a good squad, everyone knows we've been severely lacking in depth and now it's here and all people want to do is whinge. Adam will take his chances as they come and I bet he won't whinge about wanting first team football week in week out
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:Benny i disagree with almost everything you have said but i am in work so will come back you later.
What i want to know is who you want us to be signing specifically ?

Also if before the window closed we sign a decent left back, centre back, wide player and striker would you be ok with the Adam signing ?

I want a left winger - Downing would be decent

I want a LB - Baines would be ideal but never going to happen - So Enrique is next

I wanted a young up and coming CB - Cahill or Shawcross

A right mid  - someone like Hazard (marquee signing )

And a young striker - was Wickham but who now i dont know

All areas that needed sorted before we even looked at our 9th CM

So Downing who we are definitely in for.
A left back who based on what we are hearing, we are definitely in for.
Big rumours about Scott Dann round here, who would do for me.
Wickham would have been a major gamble at that price.
He hasnt kicked a ball in the premiership and was not considered good enough to get even 1 minute on the pitch in the euro u21's, sorry i mean experienced enough.
The marquee signing could easily come, if it doesnt then fair enough.

Most of your gripes are because others havent been signed yet, that's not to say they wont be.

In the wise words of master Yoda, patience my child.

Downing - we will have to wait on that - i fear another Barry situation

Scott Dann - decent player but they will want a lot of money for him and the price they are asking for i would prefer Cahill or Shawcross

Enrique - Arsenal are supposedly looking at him now - which team do you think he will pick if true

Wickham - he got injured just before the tournament - yes he would of been a risk but the guy has massive potential and would prefer 9 -10 mil on a 20 year kid

Marquee signing - i dont believe we will get one - the lack of European football goes against us

I know its early days but the fustration is growing .

We have so many areas we are weak in and we have spent 30 million in our already strongest area . Its worrying Ben it really is .
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:remember we have also spent 20 mil on another cm .

it wasn't £20m. where does everyone keep getting this figure from?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:23 pm

will Merellies still be here next season? will Gerrard manage a full season? Only Kenny has the answer to them questions.

But if either scenario happens Adam will cover it.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Greavesie wrote:Benny - Adam had a consistent season, Meireles didn't.

I'm not saying both are better than what we have, on paper they're probably not but that's not how it works in reality.

We still have the four of them anyway, there's no indication that both are leaving so I wouldn't get chewed up about it just yet. We need a good squad, everyone knows we've been severely lacking in depth and now it's here and all people want to do is whinge. Adam will take his chances as they come and I bet he won't whinge about wanting first team football week in week out

Adam didnt have a consitent season - he had a great 6 months followed by a poor 6 months - he was close to being dropped .

We do need squad depth -but we already had it in CM as opposed to other areas - we now have 9 CM's and that doesnt include young Coady who is close .

Its good getting a strong squad but you need to get a strong 11 first .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Roger Red Hat wrote:will Merellies still be here next season? will Gerrard manage a full season? Only Kenny has the answer to them questions.

But if either scenario happens Adam will cover it.

And does that make us weaker or stronger - Lose Meireles replaced by Adam ? weaker .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm

stmichael wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:remember we have also spent 20 mil on another cm .

it wasn't £20m. where does everyone keep getting this figure from?

Ok potentially 20 mil - 16 -17 mil up front with the rest add ons .
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm

and the window is still open, more players to follow mate...  give it some time
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Roger Red Hat wrote:and the window is still open, more players to follow mate...  give it some time

I really hope so mate . I finally want to see a posiitive transfer window and not arrive 1st Sept bitterly disappointed - we have such a great chance to grab the bull by the horns and really get back amongst the elite - Getting Kenny was the first step , Suarez the next - now we need real improvement and the dross kicked out .
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Greavesie wrote:Benny - Adam had a consistent season, Meireles didn't.

Adam didnt have a consitent season - he had a great 6 months followed by a poor 6 months - he was close to being dropped .

We do need squad depth -but we already had it in CM as opposed to other areas - we now have 9 CM's and that doesnt include young Coady who is close .

Its good getting a strong squad but you need to get a strong 11 first .

he was close to being dropped because he had 2 or 3 poor games! he was very consistent 2nd half of the season that he had a better pass completion rate than the first 6 months and added more assists.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion