Chances of winning epl or europe again? - Next season, your views...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 65-1114725958 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:23 am

Just wondering, how much reinforcement do you guys think we need to retain the champions league next season, or go a long way even. But at the same time push hard for the premier league.

Rafa, when he took over, said he might only have to make one or two changes to turn things around, and then we went and won the Champions league! although league form was not good.

I don't think he needs to make that many changes really, I would say we need only the following in terms of our squad:

1. Harry Kewell to pull his finger out from up his a**hole and turn it on.
2. Maybe a goalie, but not essential. (dukek is generally good in my book). I mean, why waste 10m?

3. Two Class Midfielders: we still have gerrard, Riise, Alonso, Garcia, Hamann , Kewell, and Nunez, all fighting for places so they just need to be more consistent, and I can't see rafa buying toomany midfeilders, but 2 decent names coming in! preferably Ronaldhinio and Kaka!  :D

4. Maybe an Extra striker. considering we'll still hav Cisse, morientes and Baros. this Kuyt Dutch dood maybe

i can't honestly see that much changing, and I think Rafa will probably buy 2, maybe 3 players in the Transfer window.

what do you guys think Rafa will do, realistically?
65-1114725958

Postby A.B. » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:27 am

1. Dudek's performance against Milan doesn't execuse him for the poor decisions and mistakes he's made in the past few seasons.

I think Benitez will sign a goalkeeper, probably Reina. A CB [Milito or Ibanez] would give us depth and competition in the back four and a new LB that's better than Traore,Riise and Warnock wouldn't hurt at all. [Bridge would be a good buy]

I think we need a good winger on the left flank and Kuyt would be a good striker to have in the squad.

We'll probably sign a couple of young players for the reserves.
Last edited by A.B. on Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:09 am

realistic expectations.

- Knockout stage of Champions League. from there naything can happen, as we all know!
  - Top 3 finish, not necessarily win the league, but be within 12 points of the eventual champions.
  - a good FA Cup run would be nice.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:34 am

I suspect Rafa will buy a few players, not all of them starters but some younger players. In terms of first team I hope Kuyt comes in and also a centre back. I like our midfield although strength in depth could always be improved.
As for how we'll do? Well I think we'll everything at the start of every season but if I am talking realistically then I would love to see us finish Top 3 at least and in the hunt for the title up until the last few games and through to the knockout stages of the Champions League, also maybe win a domestic cup althouh ifd we are compteting in the league and in Europe these may be sacrificed.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:56 am

We might finish in the top three if you don't have severe injury problems like last year. In the champions league, we should have the motivation to go and clinch the title again but that would be hard.

We are apparently closing of Stelios Giannakopoulos and Dirk Kuyt who might turn out to great signings as the first one is premiership proven and the second one has been banging quite a lot of goals during the last 2 or 3 seasons.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:42 am

I think in order to retain the Champions League we could actually keep the same team, but prehaps buy a new keeper, centre back, left back and prehaps a winger, but if I am honest with you, I'd much rather we came 2nd or 3rd in the league reducing the gap between ourselves and Chelsea, then winning the Champions League for the sixth time. "The League is our and our bread". That is completely true and that is what Shankly thought also, we need vast improvements in the league if we are going to capture Title #19.

I think Reina will be an amazing signing has everythng you could wish for in a keeper, I would mind seeing either Ibanez or Milito as our new centre backs althought both would be good to offer more competition. Evra as our left back and prehaps Wright-Phillips as our right mid (althought I doubt he'll come).
48-1119859832

Postby Garymac » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:12 am

We have got no chance of winning both.......That was my opinion at the start of last season and we won the european cup, so im going with the same prediction and hope im proved wrong again.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby BringBackTiti » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:18 am

we will have 6 of these ****** on our top next season
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:15 pm

XXXXXXX
       Finnan                                      Riise
                   Carragher      XXXXXX
                      Alonso     Gerrard
       XXXXX                                     XXXXX
                      Morientes    Cisse

This reprisents the quality players that I would like to see in every game (like that can happen with our injury fun) and Hyypia, Hamman, Traore, Garcia and a couple of others would all be up there. But here's how I'd "improve" the team:

1. New Goalkeeper - After the CL final I was telling Parry to give Dudek a place on the board, but in retrospect and looking at the whole season, he really is a dodgy keeper. Kirkland gets injured too much and I still say that Carson is too young. To keep it short, I want Reina. He's tough, agile and clever.

2. New Centre-Half - We were lucky last season. Carragher didn't miss a minute of important football. Hyypia is getting tired now and we need someone young and talented with Prem experience to fill the void and maybe even take big sami's place. I know it's  :sniffle  to think, but Mr. Hyypia, the man who turned us from the leagues worst defenders to the leagues best is getting a bit of snow on the roof. But he is still a  :bowdown

3. Wingers - Rafa knows how they work (unlike a certain G.H.) so we need good ones. Stelios and Zenden come to mind. Yes Please.

As for winning the CL or the EPL, I don't think so. I don't want to be a kill joy but we did get lucky in the CL last year. We outclassed a lot of teams but things like Garcia's goal against Chelski and Dudek's double save against Shev had an air of fate around them. In the EPL, we're still fourth best and unless we drastically improve finances and then the squad, we will have to wait a bit longer than one season. I can deffenatlly see it, but not in just one season. Rafa said five years, but we've already seen how fast he works. I'll be happy enough if we can keep pace with the other big guns.

Viva Los Rafalution!      :pirate
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:16 pm

I hope that Jose's issues with the officials continue and distract Chelsea. But I think they will win a again. However, I think Liverpool can get 2nd. ManUSA with the supporter base being splintered and Arsenal is on a downward slide (all teams go through it at some point) as a lot of the player are getting older (they barely won the FA Cup). Liverpool despite finishing fifth is on the way up (CL) and will likely finish 2nd if consistency can be found. I think Everton will be a bit overawed by CL, does anyone know when was the last time they were in the main Euro comp?

My prediction for the EPL next year is (and I know its big call):
Chelsea
Liverpool
Arsenal
Everton
Man U
Middlesborough

Relegated: Wigan
Blackburn
W.B.A.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:18 pm

P.S. We need some young defenders to start an apprenticeship of sorts with Carra & Hyypia. They're not getting any younger.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:38 pm

52299818 wrote:I hope that Jose's issues with the officials continue and distract Chelsea. But I think they will win a again. However, I think Liverpool can get 2nd. ManUSA with the supporter base being splintered and Arsenal is on a downward slide (all teams go through it at some point) as a lot of the player are getting older (they barely won the FA Cup). Liverpool despite finishing fifth is on the way up (CL) and will likely finish 2nd if consistency can be found. I think Everton will be a bit overawed by CL, does anyone know when was the last time they were in the main Euro comp?

Jose Mourinho's comments and antics on and off the pitch will not phase Chelsea on abit and they are currently recuirting more talent in this transfer window and I am going to put hands up and say that I believe Chelsea have won the title already. I also predict them to do well in the Champions League aswell. Manchester United need to buy a new striker, but who will they sign and who will they off load that is the question, but I don't think Man Utd's troubles off field with the supporters will phase them at all. I think they did so poorly this season, because they haven't created enough in midfield and have failed to supply decent service to the strikers and as a result have conceded more and scored less. Not that I'm bothered it is only Manchester United. Arsenal also have their problems with Reyes reportedly being unhappy, Ashley Cole wanting to leave etc, but I am sure if they sign a decent keeper and a couple of new defenders left back and centre back then they should be alright. They have the best striker in the Premiership, but if they manage to capture Owen that is an extra 20 + goals a season.

However I am more concerned about Liverpool and what we do, but the fact of the matter is we have to divde £30million between numerous areas in our team and that means not a lot for each area that Benitez feels needs strenghtning. I also think that this is Liverpool chance to snap up fourth place, but we need to be consistant, and that is my biggest fear for next season although we have won the Champions League that doesn't automatically mean that we will steamroller our way through the Premiership. Winning the Champions League has no doubt increased our confidence to the point that Traore feels the need to have a dig at Houllier, but it is our consistancy that worries, yes we were consistant in the Champions League, but that is over how many games 13/14 with a huge break in between each match whereas the Premiership a match is played every week nearly and that test our mental strenght and our ability to do well, but I still think we are a few years off winning Title #19.
48-1119859832

Postby XSD » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:17 pm

52299818 wrote:My prediction for the EPL next year is (and I know its big call):
Chelsea
Liverpool
Arsenal
Everton
Man U
Middlesborough

Relegated: Wigan
Blackburn
W.B.A.

That's rubbish, cmon we are not going to be 2nd, bluenoses won't be top half, and why wigan not west ham?
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:21 pm

A new goalie, centre back, winger, HK & Morientes to pull the finger out, Cisse to be fit (and have some element of ball control), an attitude adjustment when playing away to smaller teams are all needed to win the league.

I'd settle for 6 pts off at Christmas and 12 by end of season. I think Chelsea will retain title.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:23 pm

XSD wrote:That's rubbish, cmon we are not going to be 2nd, bluenoses won't be top half, and why wigan not west ham?

Your forgot the key word "In your opinion" in your post. Wigan could go down depends on how their Premiership campaign goes, same with West Brom, West Ham and Sunderland etc. To be honest Everton have virtually the same team as they did last season, they are just strenghtening it for their Champions League adventure next season, but it depends on how Everton play next season doesn't it? If they carry on thier form they were in last season then they will end up with a top 6 finish, obviously not 1st or 2nd, but I think if they are improving their squad then they could well end up 3rd overall depending on injuries, suspensions and performances etc.
48-1119859832

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion