Carroll or suarez ? - Or can they coexist ?!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Having them both in the squad is great..
In the same lineup ? Debatable

With players like Adam, Downing, Henderson and even Kuyt to a lesser extent in our squad, the temptation of playing the long ball or cross will always be there with a big forward like Carroll leading the line. Dont even get me started on the backline who all (Johnson perhaps being the only exception) seem more comfortable hoofing it up the pitch rather than playing it on the ground to start attacking moves..

The Sunderland game was a perfect example of that.. Very little in terms of build up play, and eventually as Carroll stopped winning headers we seemed to run out of options.. 

Imo, its not a style of play that can get us into 4th spot, and its certainly not a style that can eventually win us the league...

In Suarez, we have a world class player who has always been more comfortable playing as the spearhead of attack.. When he's asked to play deeper or down the flank, he seems like an ordinary player in all honesty.. He doesnt have the space that he thrives on, and he looks like losing the ball every time he gets it.

To accommodate both Suarez and Carroll, we'll have to take alot out of Suarez's game imo and eventually play a very direct style that is hugely reliant on long balls and crosses..

Ultimately, we have 3 realistic options...

1) Play Suarez (bench Carroll) and have players like Meireles, Gerrard, Aquilani, and Johnson playing their natural possession game with little emphasis on getting the ball high up the pitch as soon as possible... For me, it looks like the best option given the players we have... Carroll (our 35mill buy) can come in as an impact sub or be used as backup for Suarez when things arent ticking for the little Uruguayan..

Lucas   
Maxi           Meireles      Aquilani         Downing
                          Suarez

2) Play Carroll (bench Suarez) and have Adam, Downing, Kuyt, and Henderson run the show by putting the long balls and crosses in for Carroll to attack... We wouldnt be very likely to keep much of the possession but all it needs is a couple of crosses/knock downs to connect right ? If we do go with this, I'd suggest playing 2 defensive midfielders to at least try to stop the opposition from looking too dangerous when on the ball 

Lucas      Spearing
Kuyt                    Adam                  Downing
                           Carroll   

3) Play both.. And have a chaotic style of play where some players hoof the ball, some try to connect with players close to them who arent willing to do the same, and some just stand there looking perplexed by the whole thing... It might work at times given the opposition or a moment of brilliance by one of our better players, but more often than not it leaves us looking like we dont have a manager...   

Lucas    Adam
Henderson              Suarez          Downing
                            Carroll

Its a no brainer for me... Drop Carroll, Keep Aquilani, get back to what we've always known best and thats playing it on the ground and passing teams out of the park...
Its a disaster that Henderson would start ahead of Kuyt down the flank imo (and Kuyt isnt that good a wide player to put it nicely)... Its also a disaster when your central midfielders between them cant get 3 decent attacks started through the middle without having to resort to a long ball...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:36 pm

The thing is, the setup was working really well in the first half, but we just couldn't finish. Maybe it was lack of sharpness from our end. I still think once Suarez and Carroll play more games together and the midfield tick then it wouldn't matter and we would have a good attack. However, if in any case it doesn't work, then I would prefer to have Suarez and play him to his strengths, but I don't see Suarez an ideal striker to lead the line, maybe put Kuyt in there and play it two strikers Suarez - Kuyt, with Gerrard filling the AM role. Its still early for me regarding Carroll-Suarez and the whole setup, I'll give it a few games and see how it goes
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:43 pm

metalhead wrote:The thing is, the setup was working really well in the first half, but we just couldn't finish.

That's my view as well.  TBPH, I didn't see very much hoof and hope from our back four in the first half.  We had good possession football and crisp one-touch passing coming out of defense I thought.  As a result, Carroll might have had a little less to do but I think he did well dropping deep and linking up with the midfield, with Suarez buzzing about wherever he could find space.  It looked like it was working a treat and both could have (should have?) had a brace of goals in the half.  The second half, of course, was a different story.  We were far more static and this encouraged the defenders to hit it long and hope Carroll could hold it up.  So long as the first half is more like our Plan A, though, I'm happy to play them as a partnership because they offer different threats and keep the defense off-balance (more than they each would by themselves).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Can't see us benching someone we paid 35mil for. And if Suarez had scored that penalty today then we probably wouldn't even be discussing this. Carroll came close himself. On another day we could have won 3-0  with both of them getting on the scoresheet.

Kneejerk reaction imo.
Last edited by tubby on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I dont think he will fit that great into our system but its unlikely that we will bench him.

We didnt exactly do carrol any favours either with the way we played.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:09 pm

tubby wrote:Can't see us benching someone we paid 35mil for. And if Suarez had scored that penalty today then we probably wouldn't even be discussing this. Carroll came close himself. On another day we could have won 3-0  with both of them getting on the scoresheet.

Kneejerk reaction imo.

Sensible post.

:bowdown
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:18 pm

tubby wrote:Can't see us benching someone we paid 35mil for. And if Suarez had scored that penalty today then we probably wouldn't even be discussing this. Carroll came close himself. On another day we could have won 3-0  with both of them getting on the scoresheet.

Kneejerk reaction imo.

Cant see us benching a 35mill player is something i agree with... Carroll is a good player as well, Im not debating that either...
The question however of whether we're more effective playing one (or both) of our strikers in a given game is one that could go a long way in determining our style of play for the season - and perhaps many seasons to come...

If Suarez had scored that penalty it might have made all the difference in the world regarding the score today.. but he didnt. All ifs and buts.. Its not just about the game today though... I see this being something that will be brought up over and over again this season..

Kneejerk ?  I dont think so... The same question was asked before we signed Carroll and it still holds true today (as evident by our performance)...

Its in no way a criticism of either, not a criticism of the management or anyone..

Its just that when you have a player like Carroll in the side, you simply have to play a certain style to get the best out of him... Same with Suarez to a certain extent...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:25 pm

I see where you are coming from Ace but it's the 1st game of the season and the squad needs time to gel. Suarez has only just come back after all , Stevie is yet to come back plus we may well see some else come in at the back. I think it will take them a couple of weeks to really come together at which point we should start playing with more fluidity like how we played in the 1st half.

If after a month or 2 we are still having this problem then maybe Kenny will change the system. For me though it's still too early to be talking about benching anyone.
Last edited by tubby on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

tubby wrote:If after a month or 2 we are still having this problem then maybe Kenny will change the system. For me though it's still too early to be talking about benching anyone.

This is all we need to say for now
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 pm

First half them and Downing were our 3 best players... Problem is that Carroll and Suarez got almost no time to play together during the summer, and in the second half Suarez was clearly getting exhausted.  We looked really good with both them in the first, just give it a couple games and they'll be fine together.  Carroll was winning everything and he scored a goal that should have counted.  THey both scored.  I don't know what else you can ask for from a pair of strikers.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby tubby » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Carroll won 11/15 Ground 50-50's (73%), 9/9 Aerial duels (100%), pass accuracy was at 66% (23/35) & only 1/7 shots on target.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:42 pm

tubby wrote:Carroll won 11/15 Ground 50-50's (73%), 9/9 Aerial duels (100%), pass accuracy was at 66% (23/35) & only 1/7 shots on target.

Of course that doesn't include the aerial win and shot for the goal that didn't get counted.  He had a pretty decent game IMO.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby brentd4 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 pm

only one,,, then suarez,,,, but do i think both,,,, hell yea
brentd4

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:00 pm

If anyone thinks we wont be hoofing the ball to Carroll more often than not when he's on the pitch then this obviously shouldnt be an issue for you...

For me, it is an issue especially with Carragher & Charlie Adam in the side, and with Lucas being the type of holding midfielder he is..

Imo, we'll struggle to get the ball out from the back and the next logical option is to play the long ball for Carroll to go after...

... Obviously I dont expect Kenny to make any sort of quick decision on this and we could expect them both to start when fit.. But the thread isnt about that.. Its about what people think should be done.. and how they see our style of play affected by the inclusion of Carroll/Suarez

The thread isnt about how they've done together so far, although I understand the need to sit on the fence given how early it is...

The way I see it, the side needs both Gerrard and Meireles to make it tick.. Suarez rather than Carroll should be our main outlet and given the style of play I expect us to be playing in the near future I dont think its going to happen..

I still believe that the 3 best outfield players in the side are Gerrard, Suarez and Meireles in that order... Johnson and Downing behind them.. If we are to build the side around our main strengths then our style of play (and subsequently our starting 11) would be adjusted accordingly..
Last edited by aCe' on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm

aCe' wrote:Great then... They work brilliantly together and Carroll's presence in the side in no way alters our silky fluid passing style of play... Couldn't make it up !

First day of the season but this thread isnt about the game today... If anyone thinks we wont be hoofing the ball to Carroll more often than not when he's on the pitch then this obviously shouldnt be an issue for you...

For me, it is an issue especially with Carragher & Charlie Adam in the side, and with Lucas being the type of holding midfielder he is..

Imo, we'll struggle to get the ball out from the back and the next logical option is to play the long ball for Carroll to go after...

Carroll did well for the majority of the game today and I expect much of the same from him whenever called up which makes it a hard call.. Obviously I dont expect Kenny to make any sort of quick decision on this and we could expect them both to start when fit.. But the thread isnt about that.. Its about wht people think should be done.. and how they see our style of play affected by the inclusion of Carroll/Suarez

Well mate, we just need to give Suarez/Carroll a couple of games together, like I said if in case it doesn't work I see Suarez/Kuyt more ideal as Suarez can get the best out of Kuyt and they could play their strengths.

However, still early days lets wait and see, maybe your right or maybe your wrong but time will tell I guess
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion