Carroll or suarez ? - Or can they coexist ?!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Redman in wales » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:27 am wrote:I put this in the Andy Carroll thread, but in answering the question of "can they co-exist?"

In 2012, Luis Suarez has only scored or made an assist when Carroll has been on the field at the same time.

Luis Suarez last 4 goals and also his last 4 assists have all come when Carroll's on the pitch.

Or to put it another way: In 2012 Luis Suarez has not scored or created an assist without Andy Corroll on the field.

So yes they can coexist.

this is why i can't get my head around why carroll was dropped for sunderland and wigan. it made no sense. the signs of these three gelling were there for all to see against everton and all of a sudden carroll is bombed out again. there must be something in that statistic of us winning when carroll is in the side. even if he isn't scoring or assisting he's occupying defenders and making space for others.

i've said it before but suarez is never a player to lead the line because we currently don't have the personnel to get the best out of him playing that role. he either has to be used out wide cutting in or as a "number 10" so to speak. at the moment we don't really know how to use him because we're chopping and changing personnel and formation every other week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 pm

I think part of the problem has not been Suarez and Carroll playing together per se but the service Carroll has been getting. We have missed Gerrard for most of the season and with Lucas out Adam has a leash on him so can't get forward enough. No offence to Spearing but he isn't good enough considering what our ultimate ambition is. Downing has been dogshite and Henderson looks overawed by playing for us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think we missed a trick in not keeping Aquilani. Until we ge in more quality in midfield that can provide for the pair of them we will never see what they can do together.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 pm

tubby » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 am wrote:I think part of the problem has not been Suarez and Carroll playing together per se but the service Carroll has been getting. We have missed Gerrard for most of the season and with Lucas out Adam has a leash on him so can't get forward enough. No offence to Spearing but he isn't good enough considering what our ultimate ambition is. Downing has been dogshite and Henderson looks overawed by playing for us. Until we ge in more quality in midfield that can provide for the pair of them we will never see what they can do together.

I'm not being funny but there have been games this season where both Suarez and Carroll have missed guilt edge chances. Ultimately we're being punished not for a lack of service, but a distinct lack of goals. When you've scored a similar amount to Wolves who are one of the favourites to be relegated, then you know your team has some serious issues.

Yes our midfield hasn't been spectacular, but neither has Suarez or Carroll.
Boxscarf

Postby D___C » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Redman in wales » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 am wrote:I put this in the Andy Carroll thread, but in answering the question of "can they co-exist?"

In 2012, Luis Suarez has only scored or made an assist when Carroll has been on the field at the same time.

Luis Suarez last 4 goals and also his last 4 assists have all come when Carroll's on the pitch.

Or to put it another way: In 2012 Luis Suarez has not scored or created an assist without Andy Corroll on the field.

So yes they can coexist.

Christ more guff. Take out Gerrard, Maxi and Kuyt in his goals, and assists.. and Luis Suarez is left with goose egg.

Luis Suarez had arguably his worst ever game at Wembley when the geordie chump was up alongside him. Luis Suarez had easily his best game of the season at home to Arsenal when he wasn't (it was very much like his displays in the 3 games at the end of last season). The chump impedes his game in so many ways its criminal.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:48 pm

D___C » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:19 pm wrote:
Redman in wales » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 am wrote:I put this in the Andy Carroll thread, but in answering the question of "can they co-exist?"

So yes they can coexist.

Christ more guff. Take out Gerrard, Maxi and Kuyt in his goals, and assists.. and Luis Suarez is left with goose egg.

Luis Suarez had arguably his worst ever game at Wembley when the geordie chump was up alongside him. Luis Suarez had easily his best game of the season at home to Arsenal when he wasn't (it was very much like his displays in the 3 games at the end of last season). The chump impedes his game in so many ways its criminal.

According to you Gerrard and Suarez won the derby double handed!
So there were 9 other chumps on the field for us that day!!
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby aCe' » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Kuyt should play upfront alongside Suarez.
Imo, the reason we have a better record when Carroll is on the pitch has more to do with the fact that we have more bodies higher up than we do when he's benched. Neither Carroll nor Suarez have proven to be good enough in the lone striker role and even together, they fail to provide the goals needed or the movement higher up to ensure a presence in the box when the chances are created.

I'd go with Kuyt and Suarez in a central pairing as possibly our strongest offering upfront. Thats said, this late in the season and with Kuyt not being a long term option and Carroll possibly being so (or he's being sold in the summer; point still stands), we need to start the big man in more league games to be able to better decide whether he presents a solution to our problems upfront for next season or not. Worst case scenario, he gets a couple of goals in the last 8 or whatever remaining pointless league games and his value goes up by a million if we do indeed decide to sell him.

In the FA cup though, I'd like to see Kuyt given a chance upfront.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Both Maxi and Kuyt have been utter rubbish anytime they have started this season.

Kuyt is in fact the opposite of Carrol in terms of starts and wins - we seem to lose the game when Kuyt is started
Benny The Noon

Postby D___C » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:26 pm

:laugh: Dirk Kuyt did more in 15 minutes at Wembley than the chump did in 100

Peter Crouch is a better player than Andy Carroll... and when we sold Crouch we were aiming for higher and did so when we finished 2nd with Torres, so us having signed midtable british junk for 80 million spearheaded by the quote: "disastrous" geordie, as a result we currently sit 9th

We are on course for our worst league season in over 50 years. What makes it worse is we have an expensively assembled squad that is worth a fraction of what we paid for it.
D___C

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 pm

D___C » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:26 pm wrote::laugh: Dirk Kuyt did more in 15 minutes at Wembley than the chump did in 100

Peter Crouch is a better player than Andy Carroll... and when we sold Crouch we were aiming for higher and did so when we finished 2nd with Torres, so us having signed midtable british junk for 80 million spearheaded by the quote: "disastrous" geordie, as a result we currently sit 9th

We are on course for our worst league season in over 50 years. What makes it worse is we have an expensively assembled squad that is worth a fraction of what we paid for it.

Will you post that exact same post, on the exact same forum more than the multiple occasions you have already posted it ?  :0
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion