Carroll or suarez ? - Or can they coexist ?!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Fo me, the question still stands... It HAS to be a pick between the 2 and for me Suarez gets the call every day of the week. When played together, we are forced to push Carroll further back to give Suarez the space to operate at the shoulder of the last defender. Carroll has never been and never will be someone that links up the play well between the midfield and Suarez. If anything, his presence forces us to play the long ball or cross towards dead areas just to get him involved every now and then.

Suarez needs players with good movement and cute passing around him and Carroll offers neither. To be honest, Henderson and to a lesser extent Downing dont offer enough of that either. Players like Maxi (probably links up with Suarez better than any other player in the side) and Bellamy (best movement off the ball in the side) should be used more often to support Suarez .

Until Kenny realizes that the side is and should be built around Suarez, we'll continue to struggle to get the best out of both him and Carroll.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:32 pm

thought there were positive signs last night of the two forming some form of understanding. carroll for me has been playing well recently, carling cup final aside.

the chance carroll created in the first half for suarez reminded me of toshack-keegan. hope the two retain their places for stoke at the weekend.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree.  I thought the 2 played really well yesterday, and really linked up with each other properly. They both played well with Stevie as well, which is great to see.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm

ethanr wrote:I agree.  I thought the 2 played really well yesterday, and really linked up with each other properly. They both played well with Stevie as well, which is great to see.

i was reading a stat the other day that when those 3 are on the pitch together (which lets face it, hasn't been often) we've scored 9 goals, at a much more frequent rate than when they aren't all playing. just having gerrard on the pitch makes carroll look like a totally different player. you only have to look at the effect gerrard had on torres' career aswell. before coming to liverpool torres was never a prolific striker.

suarez was magical last night in terms of his build up play and he benefited from actually having midfield runners into the penalty area. if we get better players around him then we're laughing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Don't want to get carried away BUT as others have mentioned there were some promising signs last night that maybe Carroll and Suarez can forge some "understanding". Need both players (and Gerrard) to stay fit and selected by Kenny to give the potential a chance to evolve.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Greavesie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Don't want to get carried away BUT as others have mentioned there were some promising signs last night that maybe Carroll and Suarez can forge some "understanding". Need both players (and Gerrard) to stay fit and selected by Kenny to give the potential a chance to evolve.

It's also about using Gerrard effectively as well. I'd say for the threee to thrive we need Spearing to sit in front of the defence just to add that bit of protection
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Greavesie wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Don't want to get carried away BUT as others have mentioned there were some promising signs last night that maybe Carroll and Suarez can forge some "understanding". Need both players (and Gerrard) to stay fit and selected by Kenny to give the potential a chance to evolve.

It's also about using Gerrard effectively as well. I'd say for the threee to thrive we need Spearing to sit in front of the defence just to add that bit of protection

Its whats been missing all along.
Carroll had a great game by anyones standards. He didnt score but his contribution was immense.
Lets hope the three of them get more time.
Thommo's perm

Postby killerp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Bellamy Is by far the better partner for Suarez. Carroll would be bottom of the list of players that I would throw on to help Suarez, Carroll's price tag keeps him on the pitch what more needs to be said?
killerp

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 pm

killerp wrote:Bellamy Is by far the better partner for Suarez. Carroll would be bottom of the list of players that I would throw on to help Suarez, Carroll's price tag keeps him on the pitch what more needs to be said?

Obviously a lot more if you believe that Bellamy can play every game
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby D___C » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:24 am

aCe' wrote:Fo me, the question still stands... It HAS to be a pick between the 2 and for me Suarez gets the call every day of the week. When played together, we are forced to push Carroll further back to give Suarez the space to operate at the shoulder of the last defender. Carroll has never been and never will be someone that links up the play well between the midfield and Suarez. If anything, his presence forces us to play the long ball or cross towards dead areas just to get him involved every now and then.

Suarez needs players with good movement and cute passing around him and Carroll offers neither. To be honest, Henderson and to a lesser extent Downing dont offer enough of that either. Players like Maxi (probably links up with Suarez better than any other player in the side) and Bellamy (best movement off the ball in the side) should be used more often to support Suarez .

Correct... Suarez needs similar level players around him, and we saw that last night as Gerrard was that player. They both were involved in all three goals.. Luis setting up Stevie with two, and the other it was Luis who orchestrated the move that led to Kelly's shot being spilled, which then rebounded to Gerrard who chipped everyone.

The accusation by some of our less learned fans have accused Luis of being selfish.. the fact of the matter is he hasnt had anyone up with him to feed, as he had last night with Stevie, so hes regularly had to go it alone. Hes so swift on the turn that lesser players cant keep up with his mobilty, they are 30 yards further back. His technique is also world class and any link up on the floor is killed with lesser players. He has looked his best with Kuyt or Maxi alongside him, With Uruguay he has a top partner to feed in Diego Forlan...you only need to look at the unselfishness of his displays in the Copa America. If Luis has a top player either alongside him (Forlan), or a midfielder bombing on (Gerrard) to join up with him, you see the very very best of him. If Steven had not played last night, the two assists that Luis made would not have happened, and his clever turn and link up play that led to the opening goal would also have gone unrewarded. He would have came off the field with nothing to show for as has been the case in many games this season, but because Steven was there he had two assists and a big hand in the other one.

Luis is a world class #7, hes a Beardsley, a Kenny... hes the creative spark for the #9. Thats why buying ourselves a quality #9 is top priority.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 am

D___C wrote:
aCe' wrote:Fo me, the question still stands... It HAS to be a pick between the 2 and for me Suarez gets the call every day of the week. When played together, we are forced to push Carroll further back to give Suarez the space to operate at the shoulder of the last defender. Carroll has never been and never will be someone that links up the play well between the midfield and Suarez. If anything, his presence forces us to play the long ball or cross towards dead areas just to get him involved every now and then.

Correct... Suarez needs similar level players around him, and we saw that last night as Gerrard was that player. They both were involved in all three goals.. Luis setting up Stevie with two, and the other it was Luis who orchestrated the move that led to Kelly's shot being spilled, which then rebounded to Gerrard who chipped everyone.

The accusation by some of our less learned fans have accused Luis of being selfish.. the fact of the matter is he hasnt had anyone up with him to feed, as he had last night with Stevie, so hes regularly had to go it alone. Hes so swift on the turn that lesser players cant keep up with his mobilty, they are 30 yards further back. His technique is also world class and any link up on the floor is killed with lesser players. He has looked his best with Kuyt or Maxi alongside him, With Uruguay he has a top partner to feed in Diego Forlan...you only need to look at the unselfishness of his displays in the Copa America. If Luis has a top player either alongside him (Forlan), or a midfielder bombing on (Gerrard) to join up with him, you see the very very best of him. If Steven had not played last night, the two assists that Luis made would not have happened, and his clever turn and link up play that led to the opening goal would also have gone unrewarded. He would have came off the field with nothing to show for as has been the case in many games this season, but because Steven was there he had two assists and a big hand in the other one.

Luis is a world class #7, hes a Beardsley, a Kenny... hes the creative spark for the #9. Thats why buying ourselves a quality #9 is top priority.

Kerry. We get it
You obviously, desperately want to persuade and convince us of Carrolls inability to perform a the highest level and to agree with you that he is a total waste of money and space.
Newsflash!!!!! Some of dont think that. You are like some insane missionary trying to convert ignorant heathens. Give it up. We can see with our own eyes how hes performing and your endless drone is way beyond boring. Try to think of a diferent angle, come up with something new, something...fresh. Not that it would change my mind, but at least it wouldnt make you as tedious as you are now.
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Spearing is now one of the most important players we have for the rest of the season. Tuesday night proves that he's a vital cog in the wheel that does the dirty work which allows our other more creative player to play. There's not a chance Gerrard would have been bombing forward into those positions if he was playing alongside Adam.

Spearing's presence and abililty to cover ground also lets our fullbacks get forward more. I don't think it's any coincidence that Kelly had his best game in ages in an attacking sense with Spearing being willing to cover his position when he did go forward.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:20 pm

At first glance they don't seem an ideal pair, and they probably will never be the best partnership to don a Red shirt.

BUT

having two up front changes our whole team's approach and it seems to get more out of midfield going forward.

So, as I've kept harping, 4-4-2 it should be with Carroll and Luis (primarily) up front.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm

stmichael wrote:

Spearing is now one of the most important players we have for the rest of the season. Tuesday night proves that he's a vital cog in the wheel that does the dirty work which allows our other more creative player to play. There's not a chance Gerrard would have been bombing forward into those positions if he was playing alongside Adam.

Spearing's presence and abililty to cover ground also lets our fullbacks get forward more. I don't think it's any coincidence that Kelly had his best game in ages in an attacking sense with Spearing being willing to cover his position when he did go forward.

I have had my issues with spearing. His giving the ball away, trying long passes that dont come off, being out of position and making stupid tackles.
But. His performance on tuesday was near perfect. All the things I said above never happened and he was the main man in midfield.
Excellent game. Lets hope he can keep it going.
Thommo's perm

Postby spiceboys2014 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm

I think we just need a robbie fowler poacher type striker up front, a proven 20-30 goal a season man, to put,all of these chances away.

I personally would like to see bellamy start every game for first 60 mins, off main striker at moment
spiceboys2014
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion