Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:55 pm

can we just all accept that Liverpool arent going to do any of the following

1. win the league
2. come second
3. come third
4. win the champions league
5. get to the semi final
6. have a consistent season.

there's a few things we might do but they're iffy aswell.

the point is, if we accept all of the following, and this isnt unreasonable given the circumstances at LFC at present, this makes it easier for us, the fans. our expectations are high, and rightly so, becoz this si the biggest club in the world, and we should be winning trophies all over the place. in a transitional stage such as this though, thi sis impossible to accomplish. if we lower our expectations for the short term, we wont get carried away with rash judgements, and we will see that our team is actually on course for something good. (this is my opinion under benitex anyway.)

some criticism is healthy, maybethings like player ability, the need for new ones etc. but i'm sure benitez knows where the weak links are and is looking to change it. lets just be patient.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:10 pm

I agree Jim on 1-6.

4th place in the league, albeit with a higher points tally than last season and a gradual improvement as the season wears on, getting out of the group stages of the CL and a decent cup run in at least one of the domestic cups would constitute a realistic aim.

Overall its still not really good enough but this season is all about progress.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:25 pm

i think most fans of this opinon agree that its still not good enough. but what are the alternatives? the only one is to rip the heart out of the club by selling its @rse or getting an oil tycoon to take over. this club has a big soul and doing this is just totally unfeasible. we'll have to do it the hard way and that takes time. but i would prefer this any day
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:26 pm

I agree Jim and if we do manage to do it the hard way, it'll be all the sweeter.  :)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:35 pm

1, 2, 4 and 6 are right.

The others are possible but not expectations.

I think we should start to see consistency towards the end of the season and this will hopefully stand us in goot stead for next season.

Even if we finish 7th this year, we've still gotta say ****** happens and its not Bentiez's team yet. He needs time and as far as i'm concerned. He'll get it.

Some players though are starting to run out, Kewell being the most obvious.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:39 pm

the thing with kewell thats so frustrarting is that the guy has masses of abilty, much more than most in the current squad, but he just fails to perform, but i would be willing to give him more time because of this, and hopefully he will recapture his old form
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:56 pm

Its becoming flavour of the month to slate Harry and his lack of heart, and maybe thats true, but if you believe what the Australians say, his ankle injury has taken an awful lot out of him.

All the same, the ankle problem might affect his confidence in attacking the opposing full back but it shouldn't affect his ability to track back.  :Oo:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 106-1093504160 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:42 pm

at the moment yes i agree, but what would you say if LFC won there next 12-13 games in a row?
106-1093504160

Postby XSD » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:51 pm

stu_the_red wrote:1, 2, 4 and 6 are right.

The others are possible but not expectations.

I think we should start to see consistency towards the end of the season and this will hopefully stand us in goot stead for next season.

Even if we finish 7th this year, we've still gotta say ****** happens and its not Bentiez's team yet. He needs time and as far as i'm concerned. He'll get it.

Some players though are starting to run out, Kewell being the most obvious.

If that happens, we will be saying goodbye to Steven Gerrard..
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fat Controller » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:09 pm

Sorry Jim but football fans the world over are all dreamers,they lie in bed the night before the season kicks off and they dream that this is their beloved clubs year,they dream that their beloved club will win every trophy that is there to be won,they dream of glory nights in London,Manchester,Rome and Barcelona,they dream of buying a morning tabloid and seeing the headline"Who will stop this steamroller called Liverpool",they dream that there manager will go on Sky and say "Liverpool is the greatest club I have ever managed and we can only get better",so you see Jim why should we stop dreaming when everything is still there to be won.

We football fans are also a realistic bunch of people and we know all the above is not possible right away but we can still dream mate :oops:
Fat Controller

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:15 pm

Fat Controller wrote:Sorry Jim but football fans the world over are all dreamers,they lie in bed the night before the season kicks off and they dream that this is their beloved clubs year,they dream that their beloved club will win every trophy that is there to be won,they dream of glory nights in London,Manchester,Rome and Barcelona,they dream of buying a morning tabloid and seeing the headline"Who will stop this steamroller called Liverpool",they dream that there manager will go on Sky and say "Liverpool is the greatest club I have ever managed and we can only get better",so you see Jim why should we stop dreaming when everything is still there to be won.

We football fans are also a realistic bunch of people and we know all the above is not possible right away but we can still dream mate :oops:

i didnt say dont dream.
there's a big difference there mate. you can still kepp your dreams alive and lower your expectations for a season where the club is in a transitional stage.

dreams and expectations are 2 different things.
when expectations are lowered in a situation like this we will be more rational
LFC Super Member

Postby Fat Controller » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:21 pm

Agree with what your saying Jim and that is why i said we are also a realistic bunch of people,cheers mate.
Fat Controller

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:25 pm

Agree with every poster here. FWIW I think even fourth may be beyond at the mo'. Stll I think Rafa's the man so I'll give it three seasons at least before I expect us to mount a serious challenge. On the question of stevie G, I fear success may be too long in coming. Lets face it, if we get a big fee he doesn't owe us anything.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:29 pm

sorry but 4th isnt out of the question. if we win our game in hand we go forth.
lets rememebr that altho weve had some poopy games weve had some positive signs
a semi final is well within our reach as well
ok, 1st or second is unlikely (lol) but the rest is possible now and the semis will be [possible until we are kicked out.
its ok to be rational, but u gotta show some heart as well lads
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:37 pm

We will make 4th easy. We will also have a good run in the Champions League, Semi's or there abouts !
We were not that far away from Chelsea, not saying we deserved a draw, but it could easy have been one.
I was also heartened by Harry Kewell, I thought he looked as though he was trying hard, mixing it up front and getting back to defend etc. I was more concerned with the Spanish boy's who looked overawed, but Carra was immense, literally saw off Drogba. :)
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion