British heart - How important is it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:38 am

Rafael Benitez has revealed he is happy with the balance of his squad and added it is very important to have a British heart to the team. 

"When you talk about players like Robbie Fowler, Carragher, Gerrard, Bellamy and Pennant then they have a lot of passion and commitment for this club and that can only help us move forward," explained Benitez.

It was interesting to read Rafa's comments on a 'British Heart' particularly as i remember GH often used to talk about the 'Red Heart' of his Liverpool side while he was the boss. I didn't think Rafa was too bothered about the nationality of his players so i was quite surprised to hear him stressing the need to have a core of Brits in the side.

So in todays football, how important is it to have British players in the team? Wenger doesn't seem to care where his players were born (and now Campbell and Cole are gone/going)and Arsenal's results these past 10 years seem to justify this. How would you feel about a Liverpool team without the local lads, or any brits at all? Is it worth paying inflated prices for British players just because they are British?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:42 am

i like the fact that we not only have britsh players, but more so by the fact the important ones are local players. i think they know more about what its all about and are still a great link with the community, they are 'one of us' by birth and we can relate to them more and vice versa
112-1077774096

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:00 pm

I agree with Rafa, i never like "international" squads. There must be lots of local players in the team to motivate their teammates, managers and supporters.

How can a Belgian player know what means being a Fenerian?..

There is "max 6 foreign players" limit in Turkey and im pleased with the decision...
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:38 pm

IstanBuL-FenerBaHce wrote:I agree with Rafa, i never like "international" squads. There must be lots of local players in the team to motivate their teammates, managers and supporters.

How can a Belgian player know what means being a Fenerian?..

There is "max 6 foreign players" limit in Turkey and im pleased with the decision...

I would like that 6 foreigner limit, brought in to the EPL .Arsenal if they sell Cole wont have a single British player in their first team.   
        What I like about Liverpools "foreigners" is most of them do seem to develop a love for the English way of life ie Molby, Riise, Hamann.
        I dont believe that English players try harder, but I think they do understand the passion and comitment of the fans to their club better, especially local lads like Carra and Stevie. More importantly its easier for the fans to connect(I cant think of the right word) with English/local players.
        A British heart IS IMPORTANT at the moment, 10 years down the line maybe not. All I know is I am glad that we still have British players , but if they played like Diao maybe I wouldn't be so happy. I certainly wouldnt pick players on nationality over ability.
account deleted by request

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion