Barragan scores

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Barragan scored the game winner for the reserves. Here's the full report of the game, Crouch made a successful return which is good news.

Antonio Barragan scored his first goal in a red shirt as Liverpool Reserves beat a strong West Bromwich Albion side 1-0 at the Hawthorns, in a match that saw Peter Crouch make a successful return from injury.
Barragan played the full 90 minutes on the right side of midfield and did well. The only goal of the game came after 51 minutes. Florent Sinama-Pongolle started the move and sent Danny Guthrie racing away down the left. The midfielder saw his shot saved by Kuszcak but Antonio Barragan was on hand to put away the rebound from close range.

Crouch returned as 63rd minute substitute and looked sharp and showed some nice touches. He was unlucky not to score a goal as well.

In Paco Herrera and Hughie McAuley's team were two new signings in Welsh Under-21 international Ramon Calliste and on the bench 17-year-old Austrian Besian Idrizaj. Calliste signed a one-year deal and Idrizaj for two years. The Austrian player of the year Idrizaj came on after the hour mark and played in the hole just off the striker.

Calliste was released by Manchester United at the end of last season and has been given a contract at Anfield after impressing during a trial spell. It is worth noting that the last striker to arrive at Anfield after being turned down by Manchester United was a certain Peter Beardsley.

Miki Roque played his second reserve game alongside Danny O'Donnell at centre half and James Smith came in at left back. With captain David Raven at right back Antonio Barragan played on the right side of midfield. Jack Hobbs, yet to play in his regular position of centre half, was again in the centre of midfield and joined by Lee Peltier with Danny Guthrie on the leftside.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Ramon Calliste led the Reds attack.

The Baggies fielded a strong team with seven of the starting line-up all members of the first team squad. Recent signing and former Wigan Athletic goal-getter Nathan Ellington led the Albion attack.

The home side made a lively start and would have scored after eight minutes had it not been for a fantastic block from Jack Hobbs to deny Rob Davies.

Liverpool had a great chance after 28 minutes when Ramon Calliste found himself clean through but he scuffed his shot straight at Tomasz Kuszczak. The chance was created by a superb through ball from Sinama-Pongolle.

Antonio Barragan then had a sight of goal after 35 minutes but his stinging drive was well held by Kuszczak.

Liverpool started the second half well and took the lead after 51 minutes through Antonio Barragan.

Five minutes later West Brom came close when Reds keeper Paul Willis flapped at a cross and Jeff Forsyth headed just wide.

Liverpool then handed new signing Besian Idrizaj his debut as a replacement on the hour mark for Florent Sinama-Pongolle, and three minutes later Peter Crouch replaced Calliste.

Crouch was then denied a comeback goal when he brought a fine save out of Kuszczak after a mazy dribble through the heart of the Baggies defence.

Liverpool can be pleased with their efforts on the night and defenders Danny O'Donnell, James Smith and Miki Roque had excellent games.

Debutant Idrizaj almost scored for Liverpool five minutes from time but was denied by a fine save from Kuszczak after a superb run.

West Bromwich Albion Reserves: Kuszczak, Hodgkiss, Scimeca, Johnson (Baker 63), Moore, Forsyth, Smikle (Humphries 79), Chaplow, Ellington, Carter, Davies.

Liverpool Reserves: Willis, Raven, Smith, Roque, O'Donnell, Peltier, Barragan, Hobbs (Mannix 79), Sinama-Pongolle (Idrizaj 60), Calliste (Crouch 63), Guthrie. Subs not used: Roberts, Antwi.

Referee: R Fletcher.

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Danny O'Donnell. The centre half, who joined Liverpool from Sunday league football, had a very good match at centre half.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:13 pm

Nice one AB, let's forget about Newcastle and Madrid etc etc. What's important to me is what happens at Liverpool FC, not between 2 other clubs.

Anyone else got anyhting to discuss apart from the owen rubbish, cos quite frankly we're all sick of it. MOVE ON. If you absolutely can't move on then please learn to ignore the obvious wind-up merchants

Anyway, well done Barragan :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:18 pm

:) sounds good. Grt to hear that Crouch is bak and that Barragan played well.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:22 pm

Im glad the kids we are signing show some good signs. I'm also looking forward to seeing crouch fit in to the system that Rafa is playing. should be good
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:30 pm

we've also signed that young austrian winger Idrijaz (or whatever his name is) today. Anyone know if he is left or right-sided?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:33 pm

.. he's a midfielder (attacking) Wools
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:36 pm

cheers zar, at this rate we won't need defenders or strikers, we'll just have 748 midfielders instead :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:54 pm

Woollyback wrote:we've also signed that young austrian winger Idrijaz (or whatever his name is) today. Anyone know if he is left or right-sided?

he is right sided  :buttrock

but at 17 i doubt he will get into the 1st team
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Everton Killa » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:20 am

great crouch should be in da squad to play spurs then
Everton Killa

Postby Rafalution » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:17 am

Nice to read a positive post today !! I think Barragan looks a promising player and it was good to hear that Crouch has recovered from injury !

Personally I am looking forward to seeing the Crouch and Cisse partnership in the premiership as I think that combo will cause so many problems for opposition defences ! I mean, do you drop deep to counter Djib's pace but leave you exposed to Crouch in the air in the penalty box, or do you defend high up the pitch to combat Crouch's aerial presence but leave you open to the Lord's pace ?
Rafalution

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:18 pm

:)
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:26 pm

finally we got some fine young talent in our ranks. augurs well for lfc future.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion