Back 4 v's Midfield

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:57 am

Great article in the Telegraph today about Robbo and Trent after the Watford game and the massive influence they're having on our title challenge.

Just want to draw attention to this part (Robbo talking):
“We looked at the clips and we knew we’d get a bit of space. The first half, Trent’s delivery was a joke if I’m honest. Each one he put in was right on the money and he probably could have had four assists alone before half time. Credit to him, he was full of confidence and to get three assists was incredible. When the front three maybe aren’t getting assists we need to step up all over the pitch, as you say – with goals as well. Big Virgil has finally got his head on the ball so fair play to him. We all need to chip in with goals and assists. It’s not just the front three. It’s not just the defence that keeps clean sheets, either. It’s a team game.”

Alexander-Arnold’s return gave Liverpool another dimension. Liverpool’s win rate is 11 per cent higher when the England international is in the side, scoring more and conceding fewer.

The statistics are similarly impressive for Van Dijk, whose latest imperious display prompted Robertson to give momentum to the growing campaign for the Dutch defender to be named Player of the Year.

Kinda odd that the defence is taking up the slack of the front 3 - and that the midfield is unable?
Isn't that the lack of creativity coming from midfield that we've been talking about?
So the midfield is to some extent holding the front 3 back which the back 4 feels compelled to compensate for?

To me Robbo's comment is spot on, the 2 wing backs are doing a great job but it also highlights the need to bring in a couple of top notch midfielders like Hazard etc.. to provide the final piece of the jigsaw to win the league. Hate to repeat it again but Hendo/Gini are a solid but uncreative pairing and Hendo by himself is good defensively but he returns to sideways/backwards passing. We need the next Hazard.

In terms of a ranking of how each section of the team has played so far this season, the stand out is the back 4, 5/5, attack 4/5 based on pre-christmas and the midfield I'd give 3/5. Must do better.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ols-title/
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Franky000 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:56 am

True, we need a marquee signing or two for the midfield, but that will only make a difference if we start next season without anyone jumping ship. So many times over the last decade we’ve signed quality players only to see others head for the exit. All of a sudden there’s another gap to fill, which takes a season or two to address before the cycle repeats again.

Luckily, we’re in a position now where we’re showing ambition and competence in mounting a sustained title challenge, so players will (hopefully) want to stick around and be a part of it. A couple of world class players added to the mix in addition to what we’ve got will make things nice and competitive and force the current lot to step up a few more gears. I realise hendo has his limitations, but his heart is in the right place and will make a good squad player. The only players we should be looking to shift are some of the bodgers era dead wood like that useless *****, moreno
Franky000

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:11 am

Who would jump ship? They've all got new contracts and are riding the wave.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Klopp knows this and he wanted 3 new midfielders who can move the ball forward and break lines one way or another (Fab, Keita and Fekir). Now Fab has settled he has added another dimension to our midfield with his passing range, Ketia has struggled to adapt but hopefully it will click for him, and I'm sure we'll be in for an alternative for Fekir if we don't go back in for him in the summer. Klopp is well aware that we need more creativity in the team but he can't address everything in one go. He bought in Mane and Salah to add to Firmino and we now have one of the most feared front 3s in football. He bought in the likes of Matip, Robbo, Alisson van Djik and has developed Trent and Gomez, and we now we have the best defensive record in the PL having been shaky at the back for years. The midfield is a work in progress but I'm confident that Klopp will get it right.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Good post. The lack of assists coming from Midfield, like versus Man Utd, just shows how the crosses from Robbo and TAA are so important.

Too many midfielders treading water it seems, Keita and Shaqiri : The jury is still out, Fabinho has great short and long range passing so him and Gini should start most matches. Milner, Henderson and Lallana, don't create enough. Although the Ox is still to return soon.

We just need a new playmaker in the summer, as Keita might not fulfil that role and could turn out to be a disappointing squad player.

Hazard is off to Real Madrid folks. I personally would put in a cheeky 100m bid for Kevin De Bruyne. I like his style of play and he would fit perfectly. His ability to turn defence into attack is brilliant. I know we don't normally do business with our rivals, but we sold them Sterling didn't we a while ago. De Bruyne is a Liverpool fan too.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:06 pm

No way on earth would City sell us De Bruyne. We deffo need a creative midfielder though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:06 pm wrote:No way on earth would City sell us De Bruyne. We deffo need a creative midfielder though.

Money talks pal. Everything has a price. Just like we sold them Sterling for 50m when he was worth around 20m

We don't really want Fekir as he could be another sick note, and Hazard will be off to Madrid.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Red Rum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:38 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:06 pm wrote:No way on earth would City sell us De Bruyne. We deffo need a creative midfielder though.

Money talks pal. Everything has a price. Just like we sold them Sterling for 50m when he was worth around 20m

We don't really want Fekir as he could be another sick note, and Hazard will be off to Madrid.

You're comparing apples and oranges pal. Lay off the crack and football manager.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:21 pm

Ruben Neves, would be a good shout.

I could definitely see Klopp turning the kid into a amazing attacking threat in our midfield.

I can't see him staying too long at Wolves, he is only going to get better.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Red Rum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:44 pm

I trust our manager to find the right pieces to fit his revolution jigsaw.  He found the right players with Alisson and VVD, for example.

The good news is, we are only one decent playmaker short of having an epic team that can dominate for the next ten years.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:11 pm

eds » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:21 pm wrote:Ruben Neves, would be a good shout.

I could definitely see Klopp turning the kid into a amazing attacking threat in our midfield.

Good player but he's more of a deep-lying playmaker, which is something we don't really need right now. We need more of an advanced playmaker like de Bruyne. He is exactly the kind of player we need, but unfortunately real life isn't football manager.

But to be honest I don't think we'll be getting a midfielder this summer, especially not if we win the league title. I think we'll see one good forward player and a few squad players/backups coming in, and rely on Chamberlain or maybe Firmino to do the attacking midfielder job.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:08 am

Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:15 pm wrote:
Red Rum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:38 pm wrote:

You're comparing apples and oranges pal. Lay off the crack and football manager.

now that was an unfair comment, pig  :no
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Red Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 am

damjan193 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 pm wrote:

. We need more of an advanced playmaker like de Bruyne. He is exactly the kind of player we need,

I agree. A lot hinges on if we win the league. If we win, Klopp may not look for reinforcements. If we don't win it, the club needs to dig deep for the best playmaker around.

If we can spend 75m, on a Southampton player (VVD) surely we can afford to bid big for De Bruyne?  Player power (even under contract) means more than whether the club will sell. Take Philippe Coutinho, player was under contract, wanted out, and we sold. So Did Torres and Sterling. They all spat their dummies out and we were forced to sell. Did the club want to sell these players...erm NOPE! But thats the way it is.
We could do some tapping up of the player, then put in a big bid for De BRuyne.  Trust me, its not football manager, however unlikely it sounds.

EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE!!
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Reg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:46 am

Red Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:13 am wrote:I agree. A lot hinges on if we win the league. If we win, Klopp may not look for reinforcements. If we don't win it, the club needs to dig deep for the best playmaker around.

Disagree, the last 6 weeks has clearly shown we need reinforcements. Regardless of whether we win or come second we need those 2-3 key players to make sustainable progress.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Red Rum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:13 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 pm wrote:

. We need more of an advanced playmaker like de Bruyne. He is exactly the kind of player we need,

I agree. A lot hinges on if we win the league. If we win, Klopp may not look for reinforcements. If we don't win it, the club needs to dig deep for the best playmaker around.

If we can spend 75m, on a Southampton player (VVD) surely we can afford to bid big for De Bruyne?  Player power (even under contract) means more than whether the club will sell. Take Philippe Coutinho, player was under contract, wanted out, and we sold. So Did Torres and Sterling. They all spat their dummies out and we were forced to sell. Did the club want to sell these players...erm NOPE! But thats the way it is.
We could do some tapping up of the player, then put in a big bid for De BRuyne.  Trust me, its not football manager, however unlikely it sounds.

EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE!!

Let's just say for arguments sake that De Bruyne was willing to listen to offers, what makes you think that we would be able to win a bidding war with a  club where money is no object? Do you think City are just going to sit there twiddling their thumbs while we walk off with their best player?
You make a good point, we do need a creative midfielder but let's not drift off into la-la land.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion