Back 4 v's Midfield

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:08 pm

A lot also hinges on player power?  Mr ycsatbjy......Didn't Barcelona walk off with our best player (Coutinho) when he had just signed a new contract.  HE wanted to leave so, we sold.

I'm not saying we would get De Bruyne, but that's just my idea of what TYPE of player is missing from our midfield. 

Hazard and Fekir IMO are out of the equation, Fekir too risky with injuries, and I doubt we would outbid Madrid for Hazard either.

More names in the hat needed...........?
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Red Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:10 pm

Reg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:46 am wrote:
Red Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:13 am wrote:I agree. A lot hinges on if we win the league. If we win, Klopp may not look for reinforcements. If we don't win it, the club needs to dig deep for the best playmaker around.

Disagree, the last 6 weeks has clearly shown we need reinforcements. Regardless of whether we win or come second we need those 2-3 key players to make sustainable progress.

We Do need that creative midfielder, and a back up striker for the no 9 slot, yes.

Someone will have to be offloaded though from our midfield personnel. We currently have .....Hendo, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Shaqiri, Fabinho., Keita and Wjnaldum.  Thats 8 players.

Who should the club offload out of that lot this summer ?
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby electrum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Lallana should definitely be gone and one or both of Hendo and Milner...both on high wages (100k and above) and could bring in one more Striker funded by the money (or at least some of it)

That would leave Fab, Gini , Keita, Ox, Shaqiri for the 3 midfield places. (possibly keep Milner as well)
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:28 pm

electrum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:22 pm wrote:Lallana should definitely be gone and one or both of Hendo and Milner...both on high wages (100k and above) and could bring in one more Striker funded by the money (or at least some of it)

That would leave Fab, Gini , Keita, Ox, Shaqiri for the 3 midfield places. (possibly keep Milner as well)

Since when is Shaqiri a midfielder? Apart from one game like 5 months ago when he played as a number 10, he's played all his games out on the right flank.

Unless we're bringing in a new face, we should keep all of our midfielders, except Lallana.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:03 pm

I think the midfield needs a clear out, we plodded on for years with players like Skrtel etc who did a decent job but it's only when you see a Rolls Royce like VVD in action that you realise that you were settling for second best.
A lot of our midfielders do a decent job but they are second best. The likes of Hendo, Milner and even Wijnaldum are the CM versions of Skrtel.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby electrum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:11 pm

We definitely need a new face in MF- a creative , dynamic type that we sorely lack. I don't think we will go back for Fekir but someone of his ilk would be ideal.

Wijnaldum is under rated in my opinion and is a keep for me.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:58 pm

electrum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:11 pm wrote:We definitely need a new face in MF- a creative , dynamic type that we sorely lack. I don't think we will go back for Fekir but someone of his ilk would be ideal.

Yeah I wouldn't be against keeping Wijnaldum for squad/rotation purposes, we need a serious upgrade though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:19 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:58 pm wrote:
electrum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:11 pm wrote:We definitely need a new face in MF- a creative , dynamic type that we sorely lack. I don't think we will go back for Fekir but someone of his ilk would be ideal.

Yeah I wouldn't be against keeping Wijnaldum for squad/rotation purposes, we need a serious upgrade though.

Wjnaldum is quality and should start most games. He's solid in big games and he and should Fabinho should start. The rotation should come with the likes of Hendo, Milner, Keita etc
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Red Rum » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:56 pm

One observation this season is that none of our midfielders are chipping in with goals as well, when it's not happening for the front three.
Milner has just 3 goals this season, the rest.. Wjnaldum, Lallana, Hendo, Keita and Fabinho have TWO between them!!

Not good enough. None of them can score a goal for toffee!!

In the past the likes of Gerrard and Kuyt, Alonso would regularly chip with in with 10-15 goals a season each, but not this lot.

It's a major weakness in our team. I can't wait for the Ox to come back into the side. Shaqiri should also play more, he's been sat on the bench for the last two weeks.

The rest have to chip in.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 am

Our midfielders are very good at what they do but they are all very workmanlike. Hendo, Gini, Milner, Fabiano will all give you 100%, work hard, press, get their foot in but are not going to give you that spark to effect things in the last 3rd. It's a shame Ox is out as he is someone who can give us something  different from midfield. Think we all thought Keita would come in and offer that spark but in the cold light of day, he has been underwhelming so far imo. Some eye catching bits of play yes which make you take notice but still waiting to see something tangible and consistent from him in really effecting games but he is one that I think most people give time to and probably look for him to push on next season.
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:03 am

Doeboy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 pm wrote:Our midfielders are very good at what they do but they are all very workmanlike. Hendo, Gini, Milner, Fabiano will all give you 100%, work hard, press, get their foot in but are not going to give you that spark to effect things in the last 3rd. It's a shame Ox is out as he is someone who can give us something  different from midfield. Think we all thought Keita would come in and offer that spark but in the cold light of day, he has been underwhelming so far imo. Some eye catching bits of play yes which make you take notice but still waiting to see something tangible and consistent from him in really effecting games but he is one that I think most people give time to and probably look for him to push on next season.

Naby has been slightly underwhelming but in his first interview here (with LFCTV) he described himself as primarily a defensive player, he's not the player a lot of our fans think he is. I think he will come good though, wouldn't surprise me if he's our player of the year next season, the talent is deffo there.
Also you're right about Ox, he has been a big miss, he could take a man on, he had a change of pace and from distance he could strike a ball like a prime Gerrard, the likes of Hendo et al couldn't hit a cow's @rse with a banjo
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:22 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 am wrote:
Doeboy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 pm wrote:Our midfielders are very good at what they do but they are all very workmanlike. Hendo, Gini, Milner, Fabiano will all give you 100%, work hard, press, get their foot in but are not going to give you that spark to effect things in the last 3rd. It's a shame Ox is out as he is someone who can give us something  different from midfield. Think we all thought Keita would come in and offer that spark but in the cold light of day, he has been underwhelming so far imo. Some eye catching bits of play yes which make you take notice but still waiting to see something tangible and consistent from him in really effecting games but he is one that I think most people give time to and probably look for him to push on next season.

Naby has been slightly underwhelming but in his first interview here (with LFCTV) he described himself as primarily a defensive player, he's not the player a lot of our fans think he is. I think he will come good though, wouldn't surprise me if he's our player of the year next season, the talent is deffo there.
Also you're right about Ox, he has been a big miss, he could take a man on, he had a change of pace and from distance he could strike a ball like a prime Gerrard, the likes of Hendo et al couldn't hit a cow's @rse with a banjo

Actually Keita is the EXACT player we are missing ,watching him play in Germany he was so quick to take the ball forward and either shoot or provide assists to the strikers ,and that's exactly what we are missing..Yesterday Matip was able to cause havoc with his straight runs forwards and he is a CB mind you..Having Keita in the MF with ability to use space to move forward and not just settle for this Hendo-Gini-Milner style sideway wankdom should have been our winning formula...unfortunately he didn't gain momentum ,due to injuries ,confidence and Klopp not integrating him as required..And now we are paying the bill...Him and Ox are the only MF who play forward with the ball..Here is where Klopp failed miserably.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Gini, Fabinho and Keita is a potentially excellent midfield, id like to see them get a proper run of games together, there is a nice mix of skill, defensive work and creativity with that trio and with Ox coming back that is another option with his direct, powerful style of play bring something different to the team. I would like to see us in bring an elite level passer into the squad, that is an area where we definitely lack a top class player, someone who can take control of a game and open up packed defences. Fulham are more than likely going down and Serri is a potentially excellent player and im sure they would take 20 mil for him to get him off the wage bill.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Just looked at our starting MF scoring stats ,between Gini ,Milner and Hendo 3 goals!!! Hendo hasn't scored once! This is really unacceptable.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 pm

only me » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:13 pm wrote:Just looked at our starting MF scoring stats ,between Gini ,Milner and Hendo 3 goals!!! Hendo hasn't scored once! This is really unacceptable.

I think it's 4 goals but 1 of them was a pen.
Milner - 3 goals (1 pen)
Wijnaldum - 1 goal
Henderson - 0 goals
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion