ARTHUR MELO - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:35 pm

He's signed on loan until the end of the season. Thoughts?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 pm

Never heard of him mate, he could be Arthur Askey for all I know.

It's a great opportunity to reboot his career and make an impact - the balls in his court and I wish him all the best.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:15 pm

Well, he should have an easier time adapting to the club considering almost half the squad speaks portugese...

Was very promising coming out of Brazil but then went to Barca and Juventus where it's really important to have a mangewr believing in him to get a good run of games.
Never happened there but I believe he's a a pretty good player.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:45 am

Looking at his stats he looks like backup for Thiago. A great passer (92%) but his weaknesses are tackling, aerial duels and concentration. He is 171cm so not the biggest. Played well in Barcelona but Italy has not agreed with him. Actually his injury record is not bad, he missed a big spell after an operation but other than that a game here a game there. Worries me that his concentration is suspect and he is a little small, we need another bigger midfielder. In Italy they complained that he is a sideways passer, we will see.

There is no obligation to buy so cannot see the harm, hopefully he sees this as a second chance to improve his stock which has declined after Italy. I think they paid 55million for him and now his value is more like 20 million. Seems like a real moneyball signing where the player is better than his value, even though just a loan. We have a lot of Portuguese speakers so hopefully he makes a place for himself and he is actually in his prime at 26.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:13 am

From what I've seen, and a mate of mine who's a fan of Juve says the same, he's an alright player, nice and tidy with the ball, but that's about it. Don't expect him to be some creative genious who makes things happen or some defensive monster who lets nothing past him. He's good at keeping the ball, and that's about it. Is that what we really need? I guess we'll see.

Welcome to the club.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:04 pm

We needed reinforcements, especially now Hendo has picked up that hamstring. Doesn't look like anyone was available on the cheap so we took the loan deal. We can't keep throwing a 36 year old in week in week out and expect miracles.. he's the fittest lad at the club, but he hasn't got that burst of pace at this stage which is what's required in the Premier league.

I'm hoping there's a reason we're being so cheap and that it's because we're going big for Bellingham either in January or next year.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:13 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:04 pm wrote:We needed reinforcements, especially now Hendo has picked up that hamstring. Doesn't look like anyone was available on the cheap so we took the loan deal. We can't keep throwing a 36 year old in week in week out and expect miracles.. he's the fittest lad at the club, but he hasn't got that burst of pace at this stage which is what's required in the Premier league.

I'm hoping there's a reason we're being so cheap and that it's because we're going big for Bellingham either in January or next year.

I hope you are right because we pulled out of some deals.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:14 pm

Seems like a midfield version of that time we signed the stopgap CB’s who never played.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:51 pm

With any luck he will bring something to the side. More of a back up for Hendo as well I reckon as it seems that his injury forced this.

Don't know much about the lad other than a Google search. Not liking his injury record at all but after failing in Italy and Spain the prem might just suit him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:44 am

Juventus confirmed that Liverpool would pay 4.5million euros in a loan fee for Arthur with an option to buy for €37.5million.

Realistically this lad has been brought in to cover the fact that Naby and Ox are freakin' useless and that Hendo and Thiago are brittle. One replacement to cover 4 players.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:10 pm

In addition to 22 caps for Brazil, he’s made 135 appearances in 4 seasons for top clubs Barcelona and Juventus (26 of them being in the Champions League). So he certainly has pedigree and experience at the highest level.

First thing I thought of when I watched him on YouTube was he looks very similar to Wijnaldum. He won’t be getting many goals or assists but looks like he can play in tight spaces and control the game. Give an outlet to our defenders and help the attackers recycle the ball. With no Gini here anymore, and Thiago, Keita, and Jones injured, we’ve badly missed someone who does this. We have had no control in midfield at the moment.

Sounds like he needs some time to get match fit but he could be a useful player to take the pressure off Thiago.
Eagle

Postby kazza » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:17 am

I think you are right about Wijnaldum as his stats are very similar all except his durability. He passes between 90-92% depending on the competition just like Wijnaldum and he retains the ball like him also mostly by technical ability to hold the ball and safe passes. We do need that but will he be like Wijnaldum when it comes to winning the ball back as I think Gini was more tenacious than what I’ve seen of Melo. Also when Gini played with us we had three very hard working midfielders that could put in a shift, that dynamic is different now so it will be interesting to see how he helps.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:59 pm

Appears I was right, the Echo and other papers are saying he is Arthur Askey and on his way back to Juve come January! Two weeks to realise he's a dud?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:37 pm

Reg » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:59 pm wrote:Appears I was right, the Echo and other papers are saying he is Arthur Askey and on his way back to Juve come January! Two weeks to realise he's a dud?

Nope. Appears you were wrong.

Didn't get much of a pre -season with Juve, has been doing double training sessions at Kirkby, turned down days off so he can play for the U21s and get more minutes under his belt. Now has 2 solid weeks to make ground on his fitness. All seems to be moving in the right direction.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:22 pm

I hope so Pig, but where's smoke there's usually....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion