Are the strikers really our problem? - Come on mates, i'll be your sandbag

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:17 pm

I've seen the whole first part in the pub, back to dinner something, and down to the pub again, I missed the first 10 minutes of the second half.

I think our problem is not in the strikers, in fact I think Fowler is a good striker, but he couldn't do much the way we play.

I don't think you've seen many differences on how we played when we were 0-0, or when we were 2-0 down, we were playing too fast where there wasn't reason to.

In the first half we dominated the game, but how many times did Finnan help to Cisse in the right wing? 0. And this is because we try always the direct play. And direct play is difficult, when you have a super star like Gerrard you can score on this difficult plays, but when he is not, you must be patient. And by patient I mean, give the ball back to Alonso, wait to Finnan go up, find 2 against one situations, there's not need to hurry. But we didn't do that.

I know I'll be a minority on this one, but I really think that Owen wouldn't have scored today neither, perhaps in the Morientes chance that the keeper parried so well, but not in the other ones.

The reason to this "hurry" play is that seems we want to win the game since minute 5. The fact that we did an excellent winning strike doesn't mean we're going to win every match in the first 20 minutes. Fortunately, I think this problems have easy solutions, I'm sure Rafa will sort that out.

Now, I'm ready to be your sandbag, Stu, don't be harsh on me  :laugh: this isn't a "everything is cráp" post.

COME ON RED MEN!!

YNWA!!!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:24 pm

like i said in the other thread, this big, long, and high kicks/passes plan to our strikers are very difficult to do anything with it unless it's a very precise pass.  It's always 1 striker against 2-3 defenders in the air and we'd lose possession most of the time.
oakton

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:27 pm

Sometimes we're absolutely awesome on the ball, with passing as fluid as any you'll see in the world game.

Other times, we're utterly horrible with it. We have this infuriating habit of trying to play difficult passes instead of taking the simple option, and it means that we turn over possession at an alarming rate.

Maybe it is that we're trying to make lightning fast attacks when a more considered build up would be the wiser approach. It's ridiculous how much possession we've had in recent games, but we're just not converting it into gilt-edged chances. And when we do, our strikers haven't been up to the job.

Basically, 1 point of 12 is appalling. And I just hope this is the end of the bad run, because Spurs and Arsenal are suddenly not that far behind.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:30 pm

We do over rely on hiting the ball long, but there is more to it than that.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby FrankM » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 pm

Its only my opinion mind but yes I do believe that the strikers are our problem. Morientes I am afraid is useless. Crouch will not score goals on a regular basis and neither will Cisse.

It matters not what supply they get, as strikers they have to take the chances when they come. Scum, Birmingham, Chelski, Charlton they did not do it and when our midfielders dont score we're in trouble.

Having said that I thought Cisse was our best player tonight yet he was substituted.
FrankM

Postby Ciggy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 pm

Sabre wrote:I've seen the whole first part in the pub, back to dinner something, and down to the pub again, I missed the first 10 minutes of the second half.

I think our problem is not in the strikers, in fact I think Fowler is a good striker, but he couldn't do much the way we play.

I don't think you've seen many differences on how we played when we were 0-0, or when we were 2-0 down, we were playing too fast where there wasn't reason to.

In the first half we dominated the game, but how many times did Finnan help to Cisse in the right wing? 0. And this is because we try always the direct play. And direct play is difficult, when you have a super star like Gerrard you can score on this difficult plays, but when he is not, you must be patient. And by patient I mean, give the ball back to Alonso, wait to Finnan go up, find 2 against one situations, there's not need to hurry. But we didn't do that.

I know I'll be a minority on this one, but I really think that Owen wouldn't have scored today neither, perhaps in the Morientes chance that the keeper parried so well, but not in the other ones.

The reason to this "hurry" play is that seems we want to win the game since minute 5. The fact that we did an excellent winning strike doesn't mean we're going to win every match in the first 20 minutes. Fortunately, I think this problems have easy solutions, I'm sure Rafa will sort that out.

Now, I'm ready to be your sandbag, Stu, don't be harsh on me  :laugh: this isn't a "everything is cráp" post.

COME ON RED MEN!!

YNWA!!!

Everything you say Sabre mate, is true total dominace in the first half rushing for that first goal, and when it doesnt come heads drop, headless chickens.
But at the same time, we did have a balance in defence and attack, through the whole team.
And only our midfielders where scoring which p.isses off english fans cause we want to see our strikers score.
But its not meant to be, whether they are wrong for this set up?
Whether they are rubbish ?
Or just not getting any service?
But TBH Im totally sick of us dominating games and being on the loosing end.
I like the football on show, I love Rafa, but these tactics are not going to win us games ecspecially away from home.
But he's learning and he will get us there in the end.

The only reason I want us to get 2nd place is that our players have a break and go into the CL without having to qualify, cause thats what top clubs are all about.

p.s. Sabre I Luves yer :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:35 pm

Since the Luton game when we scored 5, we've scored 4 goals in 6 games, so we could do with improving.  The strikers have the primary responsibility of scoring, but the midfield have to set them up and score some too.  From what I've seen the problem is in both departments (with the exception of our top scorer of course).

Rafa will sort it out.

:cool:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby drummerphil » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:37 pm

The strikers are the main problem i dont care what anyone says.In our good unbeaten run we were making between 15 - 20 chances a game and scoring once sometimes twice.In the last 6 games although we are not making the same amount of chances we are still only scoring 0ne goal  per 9 chances.We should have beat Manure,we should have beat Brum,we had the chances to get something against Chelsea infact we could have scored 3 first half last sunday........
Goals win games and in the premiership sometimes your only going to get 2 or 3 chances and you have to put one away.......Chelsea,Spurs,even Manure are scoring every 3 or 4 chances 
Quite simply take the chances,score goals,win games and confidence levels are high.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:42 pm

p.s. Sabre I Luves yer

Thank you Lynds. You're lovely too.

So this is the EPL eh?. How do you call the touch of the ball I call "Rabona" I mean, hitting the ball that is placed to your left, with the right foot behind tour left foot. That things that do a lot the Brazilians and Argentinians.

Can tell me why the fúck a Norwegian tries that on min 89 when we are losing 2-0 and in the bloody premier league? There are things that I don't understand. Like Dudek's risky dribling in min 15. Phew.

I don't think Rafa will be happy with all this, in fact he's been asking the same bloody thing everything he was focused by the camera, I guess it's because our players wouldn't listen. I'd love to hear what Rafa says about this game.

But don't worry, we're strong, I'd be worried if we weren't, but I can't see the second place in other hands that are not our team. Come on!
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:42 pm

i hear what sabre is trying to say. and he has a point.

many times this starts from the back with reina, who will quickly release a counter attack from a throw out..odd times it works. nine times out of ten its taken up by stevie who it has to be said, is possibly the only player apart from kewell who can run with the ball.. and hold play up long enough for the support to arrive.. maybe cisse too on his good days.maybe.

the problem seems to be when we hoof it from defence up to crouch/nando etc..for the knock downs, its just coming straight back. and ive noticed the times we do try and play a bit on the floor, usually the passing is too hurried and innacurate.. or there are numerous party pieces to get through when you can see its the timing of passes is all wrong. even finnan when able to deliver crosses, invariably all land on top of crouchys head, yes, but end up in all kinds of places except the back of the net....a few cool heads are all thats missing, as well as a finisher or two.

for me the key is xabi alonso. in terms of tempo.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:43 pm

First half tonight, Charlton had two chances, and they scored with both of them.

Doesn't matter if you have 90% of the possession all through the match, if you're a striker and you get a sniff of a goal, you have to make it count. That doesn't even mean just scoring - you have to make defenders and the keeper work. Even if a half chance gets turned over the bar, it's a corner which you can work with. Apart from the Morientes effort, the keeper didn't have a save to make, and we were either far too high or far too wide, so straightaway the pressure's off Charlton and we've got to fight to get the ball back.

It's not like these goals are small - is it too much to ask for our players to even get the f*cking ball on target?
ivor_the_injun

Postby ToTinho » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:51 pm

Sabre i like ur analyses andreally i feel u have a very nicefootballing vision but u just have to look at the way our (world-class strikers ) play and how Darren Bent do and i think u will know where the problem is . May be 2 weeks ago i said here that we need 2 strikers ( Nihat , D. Bent ) and i really hope Rafa will share me this idea .
ToTinho

Postby Ciggy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Sabre wrote:Can tell me why the fúck a Norwegian tries that on min 89 when we are losing 2-0 and in the bloody premier league? There are things that I don't understand. Like Dudek's risky dribling in min 15. Phew.

I don't think Rafa will be happy with all this, in fact he's been asking the same bloody thing everything he was focused by the camera, I guess it's because our players wouldn't listen. I'd love to hear what Rafa says about this game.

You know the first thing I said on sunday was, He will jack it in, when reina got sent off, he had this look about him like feck it.
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:03 am

I said to me mum after the game he will leave, and I think If Real Madrid come in for him he will go.
I think he can handle the pressure, but I dont think he needs it or wants it.

I don't think you're right. I think he loves Liverpool, and I think he knows losing a couple of games is common currency in a top league. :;):

Oh, Real Madrid lost 6-1 Against Zaragoza tonite! *LOL* I think that's historic event, I haven't seen such a thing never in my life, perhaps the Milan AC 5 - 0 Real Madrid when Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baresi times
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:12 am

Ciggy wrote:
Sabre wrote:Can tell me why the fúck a Norwegian tries that on min 89 when we are losing 2-0 and in the bloody premier league? There are things that I don't understand. Like Dudek's risky dribling in min 15. Phew.

You know the first thing I said on sunday was, He will jack it in, when reina got sent off, he had this look about him like feck it.
Stick yer prem up yer @rse sort of thing.
I said to me mum after the game he will leave, and I think If Real Madrid come in for him he will go.
I think he can handle the pressure, but I dont think he needs it or wants it.
He has very young children and it takes up all your time.
TBH I cannot see Rafa being here in the long term TBH.
If he is then he is more of a man I ever thought he was, But I cannot see him being at Liverpool F.C for 20 years.

I really think Rafa will go to Madrid Sabre, and Im not joking.
He had this look on his face on sunday, where he cannot compete.
And no he cannot compete with Chelsea even if they are the Madrids and Barc´s of the english prem.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion