Agger decides to hang up his shirt

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:49 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36488982

Brilliant player ,elegant defender ,and loved the reds with a passion . Best of luck with the future.

YNWA   :bowdown
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:32 pm

killerp

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:13 pm

never understood why BR didn't take to him. Same goes for Reina. BR wanted his players to be good on the ball and yet let go two players at the back who could play like how he wanted...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:54 pm

maguskwt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 pm wrote:never understood why BR didn't take to him. Same goes for Reina. BR wanted his players to be good on the ball and yet let go two players at the back who could play like how he wanted...

His body wasn't up to it mate. Would play 4 games and miss 5 through injury.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Loved Agger as a person and as a player, it helped that he loved the club so much and took that passion onto the pitch every game. It was right of BR to move Agger on at the time he did though and I hold no grudges for that.. Daniel was switching off at important times of games towards the end and it definitely cost us a few points. Hope he enjoys his retirement knowing that we all love him YNWA.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:06 am

UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:00 pm wrote:Loved Agger as a person and as a player, it helped that he loved the club so much and took that passion onto the pitch every game. It was right of BR to move Agger on at the time he did though and I hold no grudges for that.. Daniel was switching off at important times of games towards the end and it definitely cost us a few points. Hope he enjoys his retirement knowing that we all love him YNWA.

IMO it was a bit of a case of becoming a scapegoat. The whole team was not used to passing at the back that BR employed. The next season, the forwards start scoring tons of goals but our defence was still very leaky even without Agger...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 am

one of my favourite players of recent years. his performances over the last season he was here shouldn't detract from the class, quality and commitment he showed during the rest of his time.

and there's always this

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:10 pm

Former Liverpool Defender Daniel Agger Talks About Painkiller Problems During Injury-Plagued Career
41 k147
ByMatt Gault
12 JUN 2016
​Former Liverpool and Denmark defender Daniel Agger has spoken out taking too many painkillers during the injury-plagued latter years of his career.

Danish daily Jyllands-Posten (via ​Sport Bild) interviewed Agger, where he recounted an incident playing for Brondby in March 2015, when he took an unusual amount of rheumatism pills and fell asleep on the bus on the way to the game. Agger was subsequently withdrawn after 29 minutes and claims to remember nothing about it.

According to the Jyllands-Posten article, Agger experienced massive stomach cramps on a stretcher and was not in complete control of his body. It was this experience that helped swear him off using arthritis pills.

"I have taken too many painkillers in my career. I know it, and that is bad. But I've stopped doing it," Agger is quoted as saying.

According to unsubstantiated claims in Sport Bild's report, team doctors 'forced' Agger to take the painkillers at Liverpool, even when he didn't want them. 

Agger unexpectedly announced his retirement from the game at the age of just 31 last week, two years after returning to Denmark with Brondby, despite reports of several Premier League clubs lining up a bid for the centre-half.

“I'm pulling the plug,” Agger announced during a press conference.

“It has been difficult, I've had doubts until the end. But I'm in no doubt that it is the right decision.

“Fortunately, I had many options, which is positive, and that confirmed to me, that my level was still acceptable. Offers reported in the media, especially from Turkey, have been something I've thought a lot about.

“This isn't something I've done over night. But time after time when I've thought it through I've thought 'hell no', I'm not letting my level drop, I'm not falling any further, it's important to stop while I'm still ahead.”
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Its a shame as he is only 31 but best of luck to him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Good luck to him. Always liked Daniel when he was at Liverpool. Injuries were a bugger though.
tonyeh

Postby ethanr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:16 pm

DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Agger will always have my complete and utter respect, at a time when the club was a mess behind the scene's and the likes of Torres and Mascherano etc were bailing out, not only did Danny turn down Barca he also went out and got YNWA tattooed right across his knuckles just to emphasise where his loyalties really lied.
By turning down Barca the man almost certainly turned down multiple CL winning medals but he did that to stay with this club in its hour of need, that's Billy Liddell type stuff right there.
Gestures like that won't be forgotten at this club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:46 am

:nod

Top man and as he says in that video is not just the club he loved, it's also the city.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 am

Walk on true Red and best of luck to him on the rest of his journey
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:51 am

woof woof ! » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:46 am wrote::nod

Top man and as he says in that video is not just the club he loved, it's also the city.

Agreed 100%. Pity his body could not keep up with obvious ability and talent.
ConnO'var

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion