Uefa decides................... - Our fate........................

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:25 pm

UEFA will reach a decision of whether to let us defend the crown or not this week. A lot of critisism has been raised against the officials in UEFA about this issue, and whatever the outcome, it will definetly raise some eyebrows from both sides of the story. I wanted to get in early and say that we will defend the crown at the expense of Everton, and go on record as to say that the FA didn't have the bollox to make the decision that the winner should defend the title at the expense of the 4th placed qualified team. If it wasn't for the FA, we wouldnt be waiting for this hearing midweek.

MIDWEEK DECISION FOR REDS
Team Talk
Uefa's executive committee members are hoping to reach a decision by Wednesday on Liverpool's bid to defend their Champions League title. 

Rafael Benitez's side won Europe's finest club competition after a thrilling victory over AC Milan - but a fifth-placed finish in the Premiership was not good enough to enter next season's tournament.

Uefa officials are now due to discuss possibilities, with increased pressure on European football's governing body to include the Reds.

The G14 elite European clubs group have added weight, while Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson - who is also a Uefa vice-president - has continued lobbying for there to be five English clubs in the 2005/6 tournament.

Uefa director of communications William Gaillard, who confirmed a decision is expected within two days, said: "It will depend on many telephone calls and the issue being discussed thoroughly with the executive committee members."

In 2000/1, Real Madrid defended the trophy despite finishing fifth because the Spanish football federation decided to hand them Real Zaragoza's place.

Gaillard believes there is extra "sympathy" for Liverpool because their win in Istanbul was so dramatic.

Benitez's side were 3-0 down at half-time, only to pull level and to eventually win on penalties.

"There is a lot of sympathy for Liverpool's plight, at the same time we have rules," Gaillard added on the BBC Today programme. "You strike a compromise between the sympathy and the rules.

"The rule was applied five years ago in Spain, replacing the fourth-placed team with the champions (of the Champions League).

"So there is a precedent. At the same time, we understand that in England - and probably outside given the way they won the title - that provoked a lot of sympathy.

"It's not (just) common sense, not as easy as it sounds, because it may have an influence on other clubs.

"It's important we get a consensus from our executive committee on the matter before proceeding."
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:32 pm

Stinger lad world war 3 would break out on merseyside if they told the bitters they wont be in it next season after the F.A. have told them they will be.
The F.A. probably thought we would not win it, therefore they told the bitters they would be going into the CL.
There is so much hatred from them towards us you wouldnt believe it, i know we are better than them so does everyone else apart from themselves, but its just not possible to take that place away from them now.

The F.A. should have said if Liverpool win they will go into the CL again, or we should have really finished 4th then there would be no problems now, they are unseeded and finished with minus goal difference, what a great team hey   :shifty  they have to put us back into this competition because if they dont they stand to lose an awful lot of money and moneys what this whole issue is about so we will be in it I am 100% sure.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chinesegirl » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:38 pm

wait the good news~~~
watch match on tv to support LFC now
watch mathc in anfield to support several years later!
i'll study hard for LFC
Chinesegirl

Postby lizard127 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:43 pm

kik everton out its not like they are goin to get past the quaalifyin round n let us defend our title
lizard127

Postby el_stinger » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:14 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Stinger lad world war 3 would break out on merseyside if they told the bitters they wont be in it next season after the F.A. have told them they will be.
The F.A. probably thought we would not win it, therefore they told the bitters they would be going into the CL.
There is so much hatred from them towards us you wouldnt believe it, i know we are better than them so does everyone else apart from themselves, but its just not possible to take that place away from them now.

The F.A. should have said if Liverpool win they will go into the CL again, or we should have really finished 4th then there would be no problems now, they are unseeded and finished with minus goal difference, what a great team hey   :shifty  they have to put us back into this competition because if they dont they stand to lose an awful lot of money and moneys what this whole issue is about so we will be in it I am 100% sure.

I figured, thats why I called the FA a bunch of toss pots, cos they should have had the bollox to figure it out for themselves to save possible bloodshed.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:29 pm

If we're not in it next season I'll eat my hat.

They can't say no and they know it. What they can do is posture and talk about rules are rules blah blah blah to try and make themselves look powerful.

There's a lot of politics going on because UEFA think the FA are using this issue to get 5 teams into the CL instead of 4. UEFA are 'expecting' the FA to boot out Everton to the UEFA Cup as it says in the CL rules, but they won't do it. The FA are avoiding that question and simply going on the 'sympathy' vote. :veryangry

Shambles.

If they said no they'd get so much stick from sponsors and TV companies they'd look even more stupid having to change their mind.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:43 pm

.. we'll be in .. :) sure of it
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:48 am

We are there already, at the door steps.UEFA needs time to prepare a red carpet welcoming ceremony for us. ...
hobbes

Postby babu » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:13 am

As someone else pointed out on a different thread UEFA are just posturing. they need to make these noises now about rules, before they let us in. If they don't people will complain how easy it was for LFC to get in despite the rules.

On another point, IMO the FA has done the right thing. So what if Everton don't get past qualifing rounds, they earned the right to be there (just barely). If the FA decided before hand that LFC would go through if they win the final, at the expense of Everton then UEFA would have no pressure to change the rules. The is what happened a few years and the Spanish FA provided the solution for UEFA. What did that solve in the long run? At least now UEFA are being forced to change the rules to allow the champions automatic qualification.

This should have been the case from the start. Now this is just my humble opinion so if i got my facts wrong, go easy. As well as most of you I am confident we will be there next year and would be quite shocked if we are not.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:15 am

We have to defend, no question, but I agree that there is no way you can kick Everton out. The FA should have had the foresight to set contingencies in place for the event of this happening and this fiasco is down to them. That said, on the bright side, this will never happen again now, just hope that UEFA can sort it all out. Whatever happens someone is going to be put out with England having 5 clubs in the CL!!
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:18 am

the latest is that they're looking at putting us in the qualifiers and making a decision sooner rather than later. fair enough, i'd say. but it also means that each of the other teams loses a chunk of money, up to £5 million i've heard, as the pot gets split evenly between each entered team.

so, imagine just how bitter the bitters are going to be now. they'll blame us for losing money, as will manure and arsenal. cheatski won't give a sh!t because its small change to them. think how many dodgy keepers they could have all bought with that.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:26 am

To call the thing the "Champions" League in the first place is palpably nonsense as only a fraction of the teams in it are Champions of their country. If they then deem that the reigning Champions of Europe are not able to take part then the whole charade will be devalued further.
All this of course though is totally irrelavent when compared to the clamour for TV ratings and cash which Liverpools presence will generate. I think we will be in but nobody has covered themselves in glory here, including us as finishing below a workmanlike Everton team is frankly shocking.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:19 am

It will definetly take the shine and gloss away from the competition if we are not in it.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:12 am

This thread was originally created for this topic a while ago, and because someone decided to make a new one without checking if there were any existing threads, im resurfacing this ORIGINAL thread.

Looks like the FA will get what they hoped for, and that's 5 english teams in the Champions League, in hindsight, this was a good move for the FA, realising that if Liverpool did win the final, the governing body already called for the top 4 teams to compete in Europe only, which meant Liverpool would not gain entry. However, it looks like this method gave way to UEFA being forced to open up an extra spot for the holders. Good move, but Everton still won't pass the qualifying round.

FA CONFIDENT OF REDS' SUCCESS
Paul Eaton
Liverpool are expected to win their battle to defend their Champions League trophy, according to FA executive director David Davies. 
The Reds are likely to discover in the next 48 hours whether UEFA will grant them a place in next season's competition following a telephone conference between the governing body's executive committee.

Davies feels the FA are winning the battle on Liverpool's behalf to see the Reds included following their dramatic victory against AC Milan in last season's final.

He said: "We are encouraged by a change of feeling within UEFA. As opposed to a few weeks ago - when there seemed to be a majority against changing the rules - there is a majority seeking to find a way to get Liverpool in.

"I think that will become clearer in the next 48 hours. We have made progress and I hope we are winning the debate.

"We aren't aware of anyone in this country's footballing family who doesn't believe that Liverpool should be in."
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:24 am

if we're not in it next season, i blame the English FA moreover the team that failed to get 4th place in the epl.

they kept banging on about how at the beginning of the season the teams playing in the epl knew the top 4 go into the champions league n they cant move the target half way through the season.... that's bulshit.

...they also knew at the beginning of the season that they cant have more than 4 teams in the champion's league and if a winner from england finished outside the top 4, they wud be a problem.

...a problem with a simple solution, as the spanish FA illustrated a few years previous wen real madrid won it.

pu$$ies! ...now they gna :censored: up our pre-season.

wat the hell is 'steve watson' and 'gary dawson' and 'brad smith' gna do for everton in europe?! wankerrrz :blues:
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion