Hang on a minute - Adaptability

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Galactico » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:46 pm

Guys i really hate to put a damper on the speculation and who we may want or not want etc. However my concern is alot of players we have been linked with from abroad, where the bulk of our my is going, may take a while to adapt (IF they ever adapt)

To reel of a few Nunez, Josemi, Morientes(Not much time to shine), Garcia(prem) have not been fantastic!

Personally i'm not saying i have the solutions as Alonso shows that he is class no matter the league or competion. However i would like to have a look at some of the Northern European leagues like Holland, Germany or Belgium as these players are more adapted to the prem style.

Yes you may all slate me?, and i never want to pre judge, but in all honesty our Spanish contingent are yet to shine in the prem? I'm not saying i would be dissapointed with aimar(links?) and co, but i would like the fact that our club were linked with top German and Dutch clubs as thier players have a lot to offer the prem?
Galactico

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:55 pm

I definitely prefer players from Germany and especially Holland over Spain, but when you have a Spanish manger I guess it comes with the territory, especially to start with.

Out of our signing the only one for me who who is quality is Alonso. I think Josemi will prove to be worth what we paid for him, so that's not a problem. Nunez is just not Premier League quality, he is playing above his level.

But the biggest issue for me is Garcia. Everyone is raving on about him, but I still only see him as an O.K player and that’s it. Take his goals away and he would have had an awful season, worse than any of the other signings. His passing is poor, he hasn't set many goals up, he hangs on to the ball too long, for all his effort he just doesn’t know how to defend properly, and his decision making is terrible.

I think he is good squad player, but I would rather have someone else in the first team.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:37 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I definitely prefer players from Germany and especially Holland over Spain, but when you have a Spanish manger I guess it comes with the territory, especially to start with.

Out of our signing the only one for me who who is quality is Alonso. I think Josemi will prove to be worth what we paid for him, so that's not a problem. Nunez is just not Premier League quality, he is playing above his level.

But the biggest issue for me is Garcia. Everyone is raving on about him, but I still only see him as an O.K player and that’s it. Take his goals away and he would have had an awful season, worse than any of the other signings. His passing is poor, he hasn't set many goals up, he hangs on to the ball too long, for all his effort he just doesn’t know how to defend properly, and his decision making is terrible.

I think he is good squad player, but I would rather have someone else in the first team.

Take his goals away and hes had a bad season.  Thats a silly statement that plum.

Thats like saying if it werent raining today it would off been a sunny day.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby joependo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:43 pm

Take his goals away and hes had a bad season.  Thats a silly statement that plum.

Murphs cool hand is right if you took his goals off him which you can't he has a bad season.Remember against Juve he done good skill but always got tackled by thier players.Against Chelsea he lost the ball out of the area trying to do skill past Lampard and which nearly turned into a goal.He can pass but most of the time  he passes he loses the ball.He has good skill but sometimes loses it on the most important games.

My view is he is a o.k player.Now Nunez he is not a prem player as coll hand luke sed.And Morientes a good player but has not had enough time to adapt.
joependo

Postby banana » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:41 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I definitely prefer players from Germany and especially Holland over Spain, but when you have a Spanish manger I guess it comes with the territory, especially to start with.

Garcia:
Take away his goals and he has had a bad season.

Newcastle:
take away the 1 in front of 14 and they have qualified for europe

Manchester Utd:
If they had not lost the cup final against Arsenal, they had won it

Liverpool:
Take away the CL win and we would have has a bad season

Cool Hand Luke:
Take away his last post, and maybe he could have been taken seriously
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:42 pm

joependo wrote:

Murphs cool hand is right if you took his goals off him which you can't he has a bad season.Remember against Juve he done good skill but always got tackled by thier players.Against Chelsea he lost the ball out of the area trying to do skill past Lampard and which nearly turned into a goal.He can pass but most of the time  he passes he loses the ball.He has good skill but sometimes loses it on the most important games.

My view is he is a o.k player.Now Nunez he is not a prem player as coll hand luke sed.And Morientes a good player but has not had enough time to adapt.

take the goals away from michael owen or gary lineker and what have you got ?

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby malone » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:50 pm

and take away alonsos sublime passes n what have u got?
take away peter cech saves n what have u got?
take away henry goals and have u got?

get the drift?

what im tryning to say is that each players have their own unique ability and attributes and garcia is a goal scoring midfielder thats what he is, so you cant take his goals away from him n say how bad would he have been cause his goals have come because of his courage and technique to take the shot and also by getting himself in the box and in a position to get a goal
malone

Postby A.B. » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:40 pm

I don't agree with Garcia having a bad season. In case you've forgotten this was his first year with the club in a physical league yet despite all of that he's managed to scored 13 goals from the wing.

5 he's scored in the Champions League and 8 goals in the Premiership so how is that a bad season for a newcomer to the league?

His passing is poor, he hasn't set many goals up, he hangs on to

Yes he's had the tendency to give the ball away but he's a player capable of improving.

So how has he had a poor season in his first year here?

Personally I felt that it would be hard for Morientes to make an impact right away as before comming to us he was on the bench for ninety nine percent of the time and of course he's had no pre-season training with his new team-mates here.

Unfourtanetly for him he came during a bad period of the season for us where we've played more poorely than we did play well.

With proper pre-season training and now knowing what to expect next season he'll prove himself.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:48 pm

Im sorry but I have to agree that "take away his goals..." is a frickin stupid comment.Take away Alonso's passing/Carra's tackling/Cech's saves, etc and they would all have had bad seasons. Getting goals is the idea of football. It's like saying "take away his lungs and he'd have never finished that race". Utterly pointless. Garcia is a total attacker. We didn't buy him to make last-ditch tackles and spray 80 yard balls all over the place, we bought him to score goals, create openings and be unpredictable to all but our team. I believe it's called flair!!!!! :p

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Galactico » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:20 pm

Uh...... OK felllas he made a mistake but can we get to my point!!!

Are you all happy about the huge influx of apparently only Spanish players, again dont get me wrong, thier players are wonderfully gifted but can they handle the likes of birmingham and blackburn etc. I personally dont think!!! so look at our league performance? YES we had injuries but because of those injuries we brought the best out of the likes of Biscan and Traore not to mention Finnan( Rafa u genius!!) However though we still ended up 39 points behind Chelsea? Liverpool style suits Europe simple. Now we need a formula in the premiership and i dont think more Spanish based players in the prem is way forward?

Last year i was on my hols in Barcelona and watched Bar v Real (fantastic!!) But they just dont challenge,and actually became frustrating no sh*t! Tackles, especially premiership ones, do not exist!! And not to mention our football grounds look like a five a side pitch in comparison to Spains.

The mentallity is simple your allowed to look like Pele with relatively no pressure until you reaach the goalmouth a stark contrast to brum whereby you touch the ball and its a "blo0dy act of war!!!!"
Galactico

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:28 pm

So what your saying is we need some sort of armour for the little defenseless Spaniards!?! Josemi would tear Rooney a new a*se hole, but he isn't the most gifted rb in the world. He's a crazy, blood-thirsty player, who would eat his own liver for a dare. It's not fair to say they're all wusses, it's just a select bunch that are. You still get the odd nutter who has the fire about them to succeed over here. It ain't all about battering the opposition with a full-blooded team, we only need 4 of them, spread around the pitch. Gerrard, Carra, Warnock and one other and thats sorted. But I do agree that it's better not to fill a team with one nations players. Imagine how fooked we'll be if we have 8 Spaniards playing in the starting lineup, and they have an international when England dont. Shat creek in a barb-wire canoe.:p

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Erica » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:20 pm

My questions are the following:
How much money did Liverpool pay for Nuñez and Josemi? In the answer you will find what they are worth.
How much money did Liverpool pay for García? In the answer you will find what he is worth.
How much money did Liverpool pay for Alonso? In the answer you will find what he is worth.

Morientes is the exception that confirms the rule, and I think starting the year with the team next year, he will play at the level he played in Monaco last year.
Erica

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:06 am

Guys, sometimes you can be a bit mean.

Don't take this as a negative comment, but I have read Cool Hand Luke's threads and he (I presume) does not sound like a brainless person that some of the above comments make it out to be. Come on, this is the best football forum I have had the pleasure of participating, but don't diss people OTT for comments they make out of their opinion.

I think what Luke was trying to say is that apart from scoring the important or crucial goals, Garcia's other contributions are not up to mark. He just happened to lay out his comments in that manner. Is it wrong to say this? Looking at Garcia's overall game, I think it is not wrong at all.

I do think that Garcia really needs to improve the other aspects to his game, because if he were a 20+ goalscorer per season, then he is entitled to be utterly useless at other contributions because a 20+ goalscorer is something we don't have. Garcia is very skillful but loses the ball way too easily far too often.

Remember John Aldridge? Great goalscorer but utterly useless for anything else, and was not expected to do anything else like make mazy dribbles or weigh in with tons of assists.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Galactico » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:27 am

So Erica your saying if we spend 25 million on Spanish players and finish 5th, 39 points adrift of Chelski thats worth it???

Dont bother argueing about the champions league as ive already stated that the players he did buy were more than class in Europe...legends to be precise!!!

However my argument is the league and i still dont believe the Spanish contingent, bar Alonso, are good enough- still remains to see if they can adapt which i really hope so!!!!!!!! BUT i hate that term "Needs time to adapt"-BOLLO*KS then dont buy him!!!! Cos the simple fact is the majority never DO adapt!!!
OK thats another 20mil down the drain along with the rest of the past fortunes lost- but hey the lad needs time to adapt????- As Houllier put "Cheyrou is the next Zidane" ???? ??????

Dont get me wrong im not having ago at the lads weve already bought, but put simply thats enough of them lets sign 2 or 3 proven premiership players or players we know could cut the pace and physical aspects of the prem. More importantly this will definetly give us a much more balanced squad in terms of technique and physical aspects,  week in and week out footie both in Europe and domestic matches.

And extend Hamann's contract......... or sorry maybe he's not got enough flair for your liking? ???
Galactico

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:53 am

Galactico wrote:So Erica your saying if we spend 25 million on Spanish players and finish 5th, 39 points adrift of Chelski thats worth it???

Dont bother argueing about the champions league as ive already stated that the players he did buy were more than class in Europe...legends to be precise!!!

However my argument is the league and i still dont believe the Spanish contingent, bar Alonso, are good enough- still remains to see if they can adapt which i really hope so!!!!!!!! BUT i hate that term "Needs time to adapt"-BOLLO*KS then dont buy him!!!! Cos the simple fact is the majority never DO adapt!!!
OK thats another 20mil down the drain along with the rest of the past fortunes lost- but hey the lad needs time to adapt????- As Houllier put "Cheyrou is the next Zidane" ???? ??????

Dont get me wrong im not having ago at the lads weve already bought, but put simply thats enough of them lets sign 2 or 3 proven premiership players or players we know could cut the pace and physical aspects of the prem. More importantly this will definetly give us a much more balanced squad in terms of technique and physical aspects,  week in and week out footie both in Europe and domestic matches.

And extend Hamann's contract......... or sorry maybe he's not got enough flair for your liking? ???

I agree to an extent, we do need players that can come in right away and play in the fast paced Premiership, and i would also prefer a couple of proven premiership players...but who ? Wright-Phillips i would definately pay 15 million and get him in.
Other than that i am not convinced by links with the likes of Johnson, too much money for a player who has had one good season. Remember Marcus Stewart.
Garcia does frustrate giving the ball away too frequently, but thats something that will hopefully improve if he's played in a settled side with a consistent formation. 5 champions league goals in his first season and 8 league goals was a great return from a wide player, and i think he can do even better next season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion