After 29 LONG years, this is finally our season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:21 am

eds » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:27 am wrote:FFS didn't Leicester f**king City win the premiership only a few seasons ago.

If they can do it, there is no reason why we can't unsurp City this season.

Let's try and show some positivity on the strongest team we have had in 3 decades and try get behind our club yeah?  :no

:help

When you say " club", does that include the owners? ???
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:43 am

This is the strongest squad we've had since 2008/09 and I'm trying not to get carried away with the hype after just 1 game. A title tilt has to be on the cards, but will we actually do it?  Ask me after Xmas . It will all depend on injuries (or lack of them) and a fully fit Mane, Salah and Bobby :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:07 pm

It's 90% good players, management and hard work and 10% pure luck. For example injuries, bounce of the ball and fortunate decisions.

A Gerrard slip did for us under Rodgers proof enough it can literally boil down to fate.

Man City still have the strongest group after several seasons of heavy investment and in those terms this is our first, and by today's standards not off the charts cash.

My main concern is the right side CB and RB in terms of quality and experience. The CF positions if Sturridge breaks down again.

Klopp needs to pace our campaign, win in 2nd gear where possible and make good decisions around rotation. Killing teams 4+ every week with heavy metal before Christmas will catch up in the New Year.

We need to be smart and lucky with players that deliver maximum points on bad days, good days will take care of themselves.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:29 pm

We will see what is what come the New year. If we are within ten points of Top spot come January, we are still in with a shout.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby electrum » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:38 pm

If we are 10 points off the top in January it will be the end of our title aspirations for this season. We might even struggle for second in that scenario.

How many times has a team thrown away a 10 point lead between January and May - Once that I can remember ..Newcastle after Keegan had a rant about United... Not sure if anyone else

I think we need to be within a few points of City at all times during the season to have any chance.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby laza » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:37 am

What does Herr Klopp think  ??

When asked if the injury evens the playing field, Klopp told Sky Sports: "I think somebody who thinks like that, about a situation like that, is an a**hole, to be honest. I am not like that. First of all, I wish him the absolute very best

:D

Well there you go
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:37 am

After 29 LONG years, this is finally our season?

I hope so.

We've spent a sum that an owner would only sanction once in a generation so this is a pivotal season. This is 'it'.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Reg » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:37 am wrote:After 29 LONG years, this is finally our season?

I hope so.

We've spent a sum that an owner would only sanction once in a generation so this is a pivotal season. This is 'it'.

Not sure I agree, we have a very young team and a manager that seems committed and owners happy to back him. If we can hold this team together some of them can be playing together for eight years. Even if we did not win it this year (but I think we will) our team will only get better as our players hit their prime.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:32 am

We've only played one game folks!! Let's not start creaming our pants just yet!

First 10 games will tell us a lot... If we've won 8, drawn 2 etc., we are on course to lift the title. But if we've won 5, drawn five, or lost 1/2. It's a different story.

Consistency is the key..
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:32 am

We've got some key games i think in Oct vs few of the top 6.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:29 am

Obviously a lot goes into winning the title and you need luck also, injuries, refereeing decisions both on our matches and our rivals and general team chemistry. Not necessarily "the best team" wins so whether we win this year or not depends on multiple factors but this is certainly a team that is good enough to win the title and more importantly will be a team that will be hugely entertaining to watch as well. I feel this year will only be the "start" of a special period as long as we can keep it together, with the way things are shaping up I do not see why we cannot as we are more stable as a club than we have been in decades.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 am

Yeah we have to trust the officials get the big decisions right in the big games. Last year one bad decision ruined all our momentum.. it was the first game vs City when we was running them ragged and the pace of the front 3 were causing then havoc. Then Aguero got a goal against the run of play, and then the Mane sending off killed the game off for good. City went on to be unbeaten until they played us again, and we had a rollercoaster season after that..

Man Utd gained 12 points from bad decisions from the officials last year, as we only gained 3.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Tsk tsk... so much for de Bruyne's injury...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:22 pm wrote:Man Utd gained 12 points from bad decisions from the officials last year, as we only gained 3.

... 80% of cat owners say their cats prefer Whiskas.   :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am

Reg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 pm wrote:
UvS xR4GEx » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:22 pm wrote:Man Utd gained 12 points from bad decisions from the officials last year, as we only gained 3.

... 80% of cat owners say their cats prefer Whiskas.   :laugh:

And  90% of smokers that tried Camels said they preferred women  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion